Compaq Proliant DL380

Old October 11th 05, 02:02 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Machines were lying unplugged for over 10 months.

For battery to recharge should the machine be running or just power
coming into machine is sufficient?

server must be powered on for the PCI slots to get (enough) juice to charge
the batteries.

I have been wondering if the starage capacity of these machines can be
enhanced at relatively less cost. Three SCSI hard disks one can put in
are six times costly than IDE hard disks. I believe DL380-G1 does not
have facility to put in SATA disk, nor can one put a card for the
purpose.

correct ... you cannot go SATA with a DL380 G1. It didnt exist during the
G1's production lifetime. There is a new model option that I would like to
play with called SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) ... they look like beefed up
laptop drives, and you can get more of them into a standard DL380 and DL580
chassis. Not compatable with conventionmal SCSI in any other way, so I dont
think you can mix and match them in a system. But, I think it looks cool.

You wont be able to get bootable support for anything other than SCSI on
that box. However, there are 2 blanks under the CDROM, and you can find some
3.5" drive caddy's that will allow you to mount up a disk and put it in
there. it is meant for non-hotswap SCSI, but you *can* put IDE drives in
them.

So, you get a matched pair of big drives, and a basic IDE Raid controller
and setup a mirror. You wont be able to boot from it, but your OS should see
the controller and storage, once you setup it all up.

There you have it. Thats about the only "inexpensive" massive storage
expanation option you have.

Old October 11th 05, 08:29 PM
Nut Cracker

Someone who sat with me and who is much much more experienced than me
tells me that
"the processor stepping problem has come up after Firmware upgrades.
This problem was not there before the Firmware upgrade."

Could it be so?

While that has never been my experience, I suppose it is possible.

-=LC=-

Old October 11th 05, 08:30 PM
Nut Cracker

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.

and .... ?

Old October 11th 05, 09:13 PM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
server must be powered on for the PCI slots to get (enough) juice to charge
the batteries.

I will keep live cable plugged in for all the time and some hours I
will let it run full blast. Even when not running the poweron indicator
lights up though at 1/4 brightness.

The first machine I reported has 512mb memory, while the second showed
4 times that memory, so today I found the location where memory chips
are fitted. The one with 2000MB has 4 chips while the one with 512MB
has 3 chips. May be some of them are dead. One slot is empty.

I have a Kingston chip KVR400X72C3A/1G.
Should I try out this chip in the empty slot?

Of three chips some should be dead unless they are of lower capacity.
I should check again.

Old October 11th 05, 09:50 PM

Compaq Servers are very picky when it comes to memory.

These are the Compaq part numbers for ram that will work in the G1
DL-380
(159227-001, 159304-001, 163902-001, 159226-001, 164278-001,
159377-001, 177628-001)

Ram does not need to be added in pairs so I'm guessing system #1 has 4,
512meg ram sticks and system #2 has 1, 256meg stick and 2, 128meg
sticks

Old October 11th 05, 10:35 PM
Nut Cracker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Compaq Servers are very picky when it comes to memory.

These are the Compaq part numbers for ram that will work in the G1
DL-380
(159227-001, 159304-001, 163902-001, 159226-001, 164278-001,
159377-001, 177628-001)

Ram does not need to be added in pairs so I'm guessing system #1 has 4,
512meg ram sticks and system #2 has 1, 256meg stick and 2, 128meg
sticks

I agree with your assessment.

Old October 12th 05, 12:23 AM
Alex Blanco

It didn't like my video card. So I had to use the on board video.

Nut Cracker wrote:

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.

and .... ?

Old October 12th 05, 01:52 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

servers are like that.

if you want a better adapter, pick up an RILOE board. It has a nice ATI chip
on it, and you get awsome secure remote managment to boot. be sure to get
the right one for your server RILOE v. RILOE II. There is a matrix on the HP
site, and I have posted it in this group several times in the last couple
months.

-= LC =-

"Alex Blanco" wrote in message
It didn't like my video card. So I had to use the on board video.

Nut Cracker wrote:

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.

and .... ?

Old October 12th 05, 04:21 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

I know I will probably get clobbered for this, but it is totally
possible to fit a ProLiant with a good video card and create an
exceptional workstation. Here is a link with a write up of a project
where I did just that:

http://www.pc-mod-squad.com/articles.html

If you don't like the fact that I treated a server in this manner, you
still have to like that Compaq Beachtowel!

Old October 12th 05, 06:31 AM
Alex Blanco

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

servers are like that.

if you want a better adapter, pick up an RILOE board. It has a nice ATI chip
on it, and you get awsome secure remote managment to boot. be sure to get
the right one for your server RILOE v. RILOE II. There is a matrix on the HP
site, and I have posted it in this group several times in the last couple
months.

-= LC =-

"Alex Blanco" wrote in message

It didn't like my video card. So I had to use the on board video.

Nut Cracker wrote:

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.

and .... ?

Most, if not all of my proliants have Ati radeon cards. But I am picking
up the RILOE cards for a few of the servers I have.

When the firmware update disc didn't come up I was shocked, but quickly
realized that they must have gone for the L.C.D. on the update disc.

All that and there was nothing to update at least on that machine. I
haven't had time yet to check the rest of them.

One thing I did find odd though. Usually I'd swap the video cable to the
monitor from the video card I've install to the onboard video, reboot
and have the system come up with that display device. This time with
this 5500 I had to pull the video card I installed before the onboard
wideo would come alive. I have a few 5500's and it's the first time I've
had this happen.