Freezes after cold startup problem

Old September 15th 08, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Celox

Default Freezes after cold startup problem

read this post or follow this link -
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=3290511
#post3290511

hi,

i setup a new rig and ever since i got it up and running im
experiencing a annoying problem i couldnt get rid off.
In the past four weeks i have been looking everywhere for an answer
but nothing would help.

My Problem is as follows:
My system freezes after a cold startup.
As an example, when i get back home from work i start my rig, bios
posts without problems, vista x64 startups fine, after 5mins or so
work my system just freezes, i cant move my mouse or type on the
keyboard etc..

Now the fun part: After i restart it using the reset button it
passes bios and windows startup fine, i can work and even prime95
test my system for hours, it wont freeze at all.
It does it only when my rig was shutdown for more then 6hours. (I
havent experienced it after just 1-2hours only around 6h+)

my rig:
Gigabyte X48t-DQ6
Core 2 Quad Q9550
2x 1GB OCZ PC3-14400 Platinum Edition (gone upgrade later to 4x 1gb)
1 x wd Velociraptor 300gb /w ice pack
1x toshiba cd/dvd writer
1 x gainward ati radeon 4870
Xigmatek 1283
corsair hx620 psu
chasis antec 182p

My bios settings:
Code:

Robust Graphics Booster Auto
CPU Clock Ratio 8.5x
CPU Frequency 333FSB
CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (MHz) 333
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) 100
C.I.A.2 Disabled
Performance Enhanced With Standard
System Memory Multiplier 4.00B
DRAM Timing Selectable Manual
CAS Latency Time 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 8
DRAM RAS# Precharge 8
Precharge delay (tRAS) 24
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) Auto
Rank Write To READ Delay Auto
Write To Precharge Delay Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay Auto
Read to Precharge Delay Auto
Static tRead Value Auto
Static tRead Phase Adjust Auto
Command Rate 1T
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving 800mV
CPU Clock Skew Control Normal
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal
System Voltage Control Manual
DDR3 Overvoltage Control (+)0.40
PCI-E Overvoltage Control Normal
FSB Overvoltage Control Normal
(G)MCH Overvoltage Control Normal
Loadline Calibration Disabled
CPU Voltage Control Normal

Bios version is F5

temp at cold startup is around 29-35 degree

running Windows x64 with latest SP incl. updates and latest
component drivers:
Driver for Intel X48 (INF Update Utility v9.0.0.1008)
Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver v8.5.0.1032
(my velociraptor runs on the intel ich9R ahci controller /w ncq)
ati catalyst driver v8.8
RealTek Audio (Vista_R204)
RealTek LAN v6.208

i run out of ideas for a solution for this problem, maybe someone
here has an idea
(sorry for my english, im german)
don't use the e-mail adresse. its an antispam adresse.

Old September 15th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Celox wrote:
[...]

I see Command Rate is set to 1T. Are these systems capable
of handling 1T, and at what clock frequency does 2T
become necessary ? I don't know the answer to that, and
I'd have to read a few thousand posts to get some idea
about it. "Command Rate" controls the issue of addresses
or commands over the memory address bus, and a 2T setting
means the address is presented for two cycles.

Command Rate 2T - Address is sampled on the second cycle.
First cycle provides additional setup time.

X Address X Address X
(Sampled)

I see you're also running your RAM at 1.5 + 0.4 = 1.9V.
Did you need all of that to get the RAM stable ?
Have you experimented at all with the memory, to see how
sensitive it is to the individual settings, with the
conditions you're currently using ?

An alternate test you can try, is to cold boot a
Linux LiveCD like Knoppix or Ubuntu. If Linux also
freezes in five minutes, then you can be pretty sure
it is a hardware problem.

In terms of test sequences, have you tried

1) Cold boot the OS causing the problem.
2) When the desktop appears, and before there is a freeze,
do a restart. Does the system freeze five minutes after
the second boot cycle ?

or this one.

1) Turn on the power to the computer.
2) Before the computer starts the booting sequence, press the
reset button just once.
3) Allow the system to "cold boot" and see if it freezes.

I'm trying to tell here, whether the stable system condition,
is due to the reboot of the OS, or due to the pressing of
the reset button. It could be that pressing the reset
button, causes the BIOS to do something different.

HTH,
Paul