Help- hyperx kingston , see post

Old September 9th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Help- hyperx kingston , see post

Pete Rynas wrote:
looks like you got it right again , ( the tech at kingston did say this ram
was for overclockers - probably the reason for it showing up as you said at
pc5300) - now that i have followed your suggestions and do show in "memory"
of CPU-Z of 422.5 ( X2 = 845 mhz) so it looks like i have (you) have
succesfully overclocked this memory as it is intented to do and i have
learned from you again ! i wonder how far and to what advantage i should
take it and the processor? thanks again pete

Some DDR2 RAM chips have shown remarkable overclock ability. Whether
you get to see that or not, really depends on the testing procedure
used by the module manufacturer. If the chips on your module had been
capable of running at DDR2-1066, they likely would have put the module
in a different bin, and charged a different price for it.

Part of the essence of overclocking, is seeing what you can get
for free. For example, when I do it, I check for the peak, and
then I back off a notch or two, so there will be stable
day to day operation. One reason for backing off a bit, is
performance is temperature sensitive, and I find when my
computing room gets hot, sometimes the peak overclock
shifts too. So I turn it down a bit, so I don't have to
worry about what happens on a summer's day. I don't
keep the air conditioning on all the time, so there
is some temperature variation during the day.

As for overclocking processors, some have an abrupt
"wall" and won't go past a certain point. My Northwood
is like that, and I find that bumping Vcore doesn't
help past a certain frequency point. The Northwood also
has a "drop dead" voltage, and I stay well away from
there.

Other processors have a more gradual pattern, so the more
voltage you apply, the further they go. In the case of the
45nm Intel processors, it is easy to apply enough
voltage to damage the processor. If you own a 45nm
processor, check the enthusiast sites, to see what
voltage value is safe. Some people have already
learned that the hard way (burnt out a processor
overnight while it is overvolted).

I've also noticed certain processor families exhibit the
symptoms of electromigration, and if the CPU overclock limit
shifts in a gradual downward direction with time, electromigration
could be the reason. The staff at the silicon fab, try to
ensure a processor family has enough headroom so that
electromigration isn't a problem at normal frequencies.
There should be many MHz of additional room, before it
becomes an issue. But I've still seen product families,
where the evidence points towards a problem. Again,
visiting the enthusiast sites, and reading thousands of
posts about overclocking results, can hint at the
possibility of long term reliability issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Paul