Replaced motherboard - cannot install new IDE channel drivers

Old August 17th 08, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Clive Backham

Default Replaced motherboard - cannot install new IDE channel drivers

I have just replaced a faulty GA-7VT880 (Socket A, VIA KT880 chipset)
with a GA-8IG1000MK (Socket 478, Intel 865G chipset). The Socket A
mobo developed a fault, and I had the other mobo+CPU spare.

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP4, and just hooked up my existing
peripherals to the new mobo. I ran the setup utility for the new mobo
to install the drivers for Chipset, Graphics, LAN, Audio and USB2.0 -
all of these installs went OK and the setup utility reports all
drivers as now installed correctly.

However, on boot-up Windows reports that the two IDE channels are new,
and it cannot find the required drivers. I am wondering if the old VIA
chipset drivers (which are presumably still somewhere in the WINNT
directory hierarchy) are causing problems. If I run the "Hardware
Information" utility from the new mobo's setup CD, it clearly lists a
lot of drivers for hardware that I know is no longer in the machine
(including "VIA Bus Master IDE Controller").

I also downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers for the new
mobo from the Gigabyte website, but that didn't change anything.

The hard disks work, but I'm guessing they are in PIO mode. I ran
DMACHECK.EXE and it reports "No IDE/ATAPI Devices detected" for both
channels.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here?
Old August 17th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
OldMan

Tried a repair installation of win?
Thats usually required after a mobo change

Old August 18th 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Clive Backham

On 17 Aug, 23:38, "OldMan" wrote:
Tried a repair installation of win?
Thats usually required after a mobo change

Thanks for the response. I tried a repair, but it didn't help.

In the end I slapped in a spare hard disk I had lying around and did a
fresh reinstall (this time WinXP SP2).

Things are now almost OK - my last issue is figuring out why the IDE
channels are only running in Multi-Word DMA Mode 2. (All my IDE
devices are ATA-100 or better, so I'd expect to get UltraDMA Mode 5).
Old August 18th 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Clive Backham wrote:
On 17 Aug, 23:38, "OldMan" wrote:
Tried a repair installation of win?
Thats usually required after a mobo change

Thanks for the response. I tried a repair, but it didn't help.

In the end I slapped in a spare hard disk I had lying around and did a
fresh reinstall (this time WinXP SP2).

Things are now almost OK - my last issue is figuring out why the IDE
channels are only running in Multi-Word DMA Mode 2. (All my IDE
devices are ATA-100 or better, so I'd expect to get UltraDMA Mode 5).

There was an issue, back in that era, with how the various motherboard
manufacturers provided BIOS interfaces to the ICH5 Southbridge.

The Southbridge has two IDE ribbon cable interfaces, plus a couple
SATA ports. The SATA ports can be thought of, in the same way as a
ribbon cable.

That means there are three sets of two disks possible.

Intel provides two modes to operate the ports. In "compatible" mode,
only four disks max can be used. This would be a mode suitable for
Win98 for example, but even WinXP should be able to use it (no reason
to do it, but it is possible). Compatible mode means using I/O space
mapped interfaces, and IRQ14 and IRQ15 handle the four disks. Intel
created that mode, so a Win98 system could boot without drivers.

The second mode is "enhanced" mode. All six disks can be used in this
case. The interfaces on the Southbridge are mapped to the PCI address
space (base address plus offset), and interrupts are assigned like any
other plug-in PCI card might do. Win98 doesn't have a PCI address space
driver, but WinXP does. And being in the PCI space, you can have a large
number of disks, which is why six are possible.

In the four disk case, the BIOS designer has to provide the user with
a way of selecting four of six disks. The three sets of two disks are
offered, but only two sets can be enabled in the compatible mode.

On one Asus motherboard, you could choose "enhanced", but also choose
to use the disk selection feature (i.e. a control that influences which
four of six disks). That control really shouldn't be doing anything,
but when it is used in the "enhanced" cases, one of the side effects of
its mistaken usage, was the IDE interfaces would only run at the slower
rates. That sounds consistent with your symptoms.

The Gigabyte BIOS interface is different than the Asus one. Looking
at it, I would suggest trying "On-Chip SATA" to [Manual], then
"SATA Port0 Configuration as" [Sata Port0], and
"SATA Port1 Configuration as" [Sata Port1].

The idea behind that selection, is to use the Enhanced mode of operation,
and try and enable all six disk interfaces, without doing anything
weird with respect to selecting four of six disks. It could be, that
with less than six disks used, and the BIOS "auto" mode, that the
BIOS is doing something goofy.

In terms of suggested procedure, go to the BIOS and record the current
settings in "Integrated Peripherals" on a piece of paper. Try the new
settings. If the computer will not boot, you can go back to "Integrated
Peripherals" and put back the settings that allowed you to boot.

A reference on the subject of the Southbridge ports, is here. This is
not required reading, but is something I found in the past, when researching
ICH5 (my current motherboard has one).

"ICH5 SATA Programmers Reference Manual"
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/252671.htm

Paul
Old August 21st 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Clive Backham

On Aug 18, 6:12*pm, Paul wrote:
There was an issue, back in that era, with how the various motherboard
manufacturers provided BIOS interfaces to the ICH5 Southbridge.

Thanks very much for the in-depth description. I look forward to the
day when I can justify replacing the whole shooting match with one
stonking great SATA disk and avoid this sort of jumping through hoops.

As it happens, it turned out that the fault was NOT the original
motherboard. I spent a great deal of time swapping various components
in & out. I tried 3 different mobos, and they all behaved in slightly
different sub-optimal ways. In the end I have returned to the original
mobo. I'm still not sure, but am beginning to believe it was some
weird issue involving the particular combination of device I had (a
pair of Maxtor ATA133s, an IBM Deskstar and a Samsung DVDRW). I've now
ditched the IBM (which in defiance of its "deathstar" nickname was
several years old and still going strong) and things seem to be
stable. (For Now).