Unable to load CD-ROM drivers

Old August 19th 08, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Lyn[_2_]

Default Unable to load CD-ROM drivers

Hi all,

I have just installed a new Gigabyte Motherboard GA-EP35-DS3L

All I have connected to the motherboard is a video card, a clean hard drive
and a CD-ROM.
The BIOS has detected the Hard Drive on IDE Channel 0 MASTER, and the CD-ROM
on IDE Channel 4 Master.

When I run my WIN98-SE start-up disk from the floppy drive and ask it to
install CD-ROM support, it tells me that no drives were found, and aborts.
Have you any suggestions as to why this is happening ?

I have tried the Start-up disk, CD-ROM and the cable on another computer, it
finds the drive and loads the drivers without any problems.

Thanks,

Lyn.

Old August 19th 08, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Lyn wrote:
Hi all,

I have just installed a new Gigabyte Motherboard GA-EP35-DS3L

All I have connected to the motherboard is a video card, a clean hard drive
and a CD-ROM.
The BIOS has detected the Hard Drive on IDE Channel 0 MASTER, and the CD-ROM
on IDE Channel 4 Master.

When I run my WIN98-SE start-up disk from the floppy drive and ask it to
install CD-ROM support, it tells me that no drives were found, and aborts.
Have you any suggestions as to why this is happening ?

I have tried the Start-up disk, CD-ROM and the cable on another computer, it
finds the drive and loads the drivers without any problems.

Thanks,

Lyn.

Looking at the manual, I see two chips used for storage.

ICH9 - 4 SATA ports.
JMB368 - PCI Express to single PATA (two IDE drives)

The ICH9 has a couple settings.

"SATA AHCI Mode" [Disabled]
"SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode" [Disabled]

My first question would be, whether the latter setting applies to all
the SATA ports (0,1,4,5) or only two. (A similar board from Gigabyte, shows 0-3
for the ports in that BIOS option.) But ignoring that tiny detail, the defaults
shown in the manual, should be prepared for Win98 or other legacy OS.

With those two settings, in principle up to four SATA devices can
appear in "I/O Space" and use IRQ14 and IRQ15.

Now, it is possible you weren't using a SATA CDROM drive. Maybe you
have an IDE CDROM and it is connected to the JMB368. The supported
OSes for JMB368, are listed here.

http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/OSSupport/OS_Support.pdf

Hmmm. No Win98 and no WinME. And the JMB368 would be in "PCI Space",
and Win98 has no built-in driver for that scenario. Win98 has an "I/O Space"
driver. So with no manufacturer Win98 driver offered, and likely no Win98
built-in way to use the JMB368, it might not be your best choice for the CDROM.

I think the plan, of running Win98, is likely to run into other problems.
In terms of OS support, LAN chips seem to be the best, and the people making
LAN chips seem to cover a wide range of OSes. But some of the other chips
on the board (or even add-in cards like a video card), may not be in
as fine shape. So fighting with the storage devices, is just one of
many hurtles to expect.

If you were determined to make this work, you could purchase a PCI
card with IDE ports on it. Examples are cards based on SIL0680 or
a Promise Ultra133 card. In each case, you'd consult the manufacturer's
web site, to see if Win98 drivers are included. Here, for example,
I can see a SIL0680 has Win98 support. You'd connect an IDE CDROM
to this, and then (somehow) use the Win98 driver. (You probably know
more about that than I do.)

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...id=2&osid =6&

I face the same issues myself, having Win2K as my OS. You would think
that my problems are solved (the JMB368 mentions Win2K support), but
my problem is, that new video cards only have support for WinXP or
Vista, and Win2K support was dropped. So I cannot upgrade to something
decent, because the video card I want, wouldn't have a driver, and
I'd likely be stuck in 640x480 resolution, with no 3D support. I mean,
I might as well be running Linux, for all the support I'd get.

And I'm too cheap a guy, to spring for Vista :-)

Paul
Old August 19th 08, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Lyn[_2_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Lyn wrote:
[...]

Thank-you Paul,
I understood some of your answer, here is a little bit more info.
I have an IDE DVD burner connected as the master, I also tried a normal IDE
CD-ROM.
The hard drive is a SATA connected to the 110 port.

I tried my XP start-up floppy, that behaved exactly like the WIN-98 disk.
I put my Symantec bootable Recovery CD in the drive to see what happened,
that worked.
I tried other bootable CD's and they all worked.

Would a SATA optical drive help?

I also tried the WIN98-SE disk on my games computer, EVGA nForce 680i with
IDE optical drives and SATA hard drives, and that worked OK.
Does this help,

Lyn.

Old August 19th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Lyn wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
Lyn wrote:
[...]

The fact that some things work, and some don't, suggests the
difference could be in the drivers available to each of
those environments.

In the second link here, someone tried an IDE CDROM, with
an IDE to SATA adapter, and then connected the drive to the
SATA port. And that didn't work. But there is mention of
a "gcdrom" driver, whatever that is. The third link has
test results. What I'd like to know, is where that
driver is coming from.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windo...0#entry1234640

http://www.computing.net/answers/dos...dos/16251.html

http://marktsai0316.googlepages.com/gcdromfordos

Based on the Sourceforge download, it looks to be written
in assembler. What an adventure...

Paul
Old August 20th 08, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

The only IDE port that exists is on a JMicron chip and requires drivers
for support. Going further, I don't think that there are any chipset
drivers for the chipset on that motherboard and Windows 98 (or, for that
matter, for much of ANYTHING on that motherboard and Windows 98). I
think you have bought a motherboard so new that Windows 98 really cannot
be installed on it successfully; Windows 98 drivers for way too many
things just do not exist. [In fact this was the case with my now 2-year
old GA-965P-DS3, and your board is years newer].

Old August 20th 08, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Lyn[_2_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Lyn wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
Lyn wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys,
Those three links were very interesting, I now understand what caused the
problem and there is a possible fix for it.

I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, I intend to run XP Home on this
second computer, it's just that I usually install XP from the start-up disk,
no real reason. The bootable install disk runs just fine.
When thing don't go the way I expect, I am curious to know why, and I like
to see it through.
I think I will give VISTA a miss for now, and probably wait for the next OS
version. I skipped Millennium and was happy that I did. My local computer
shop was selling XP Home oem at a pretty good price so I bought a spare.
XP does everything I want at present, except for having the 2Gb RAM limit.

Thanks again for your interest in my query, these Newsgroups are a gold mine
of information, I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Lyn.