Proliant 2500 not booting from SmartStart 5.50 CD

Old May 17th 07, 12:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Trojan Hussar

Default Proliant 2500 not booting from SmartStart 5.50 CD

This is a thread I originally posted around two years ago, that time I
found a workaround, this time I can't figure it out.

I have a Proliant 2500 Dual PPro 200, 384Mb, 221 disk controller. The
machine will happily boot from CD and run Knoppix, I can run hardware
tests from UBD3.3 but it stubbornly refuses to boot from a SmartStart
5.50 disk, I just get an 'Invalid System Disk' error.

I've re-downloaded the ISO image and burned it on two different CD
writers but it is refusing to boot from either copy. It does have the
system utilities on the array but when you try to run ACU it prompts
me for the Array Conifugration Utility floppy disks unfortunately I'm
a floppy free zone these days!

Switching the CD-ROM from cable select to master fixed this problem
before but this time it makes no difference, it's almost like the
machine is trying to spite me!

Help!
J.

Old May 17th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

did you burn the iso at the slowest possible speed that your burning
software will allow?

Old May 17th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
VinceV

Did you burn this to a CDR? I've found that the older CD ROM drives
have a hard time with CD-RW media.

VinceV

Old May 18th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-05-17, VinceV wrote:
Did you burn this to a CDR? I've found that the older CD ROM drives
have a hard time with CD-RW media.

For some reason that SmartStart CD (not sure if the newer ones have
the same issue or not, but this does appear to be the case for the
v5.5 version) **MUST** be burned at the SLOWEST possible speed on
your cd burner or it will NOT work.. I and countless others have
found this out by complete trial and error -- per LC's comments..

I suspect if you try the above technique, the problem will go away!

Old July 1st 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Trojan Hussar

In the end I dug out a generic x52 CD-ROM drive and it booted from the
SmartStart CD first time, obviously the SmartStart boot sectors are
more picky about the type of drives they like to be read by!

Many Thanks,
J.