Proliant PL3000 PIII 550 not posting

Old June 13th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
PLstudent

Default Proliant PL3000 PIII 550 not posting

I am trying to bring back to life a PL3000 (it is my first time to work on
that kind of system). The system died (have no details about how it happened),
the board seemed dead (no beep codes) although the LEDs light up normaly :
- by the bottom of the board, one amber when the power cord is plugged in
the wall, one green when the system is turned on

- by each processor 1 red lit whenever the system is turned on, 1 green when
a processor is present and system turned on
the integrated management display lights up whenever the server is plugged to
the outlet and doesn't seem to react at all. Here is what appears on screen "
COMPAQ LCD
Model # 56022
LCD FIRMWARE 1.9"
The screen stays blank, no beep codes, processors semm to stay cold all fans
run normaly, all the LED in the HD bay are lit (took out HDs) .....
I am wondering if processors are dead or VRMs ? Tried pulling out 1 processor
and VRM ..... but don't have a processor cache to fill the slot .....

Replaced motherboard, get the same thing but realized the new board is 008099-
101, the old one was 008099-102

Any info is welcome ...

Thanks a lot !

Old June 14th 07, 08:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"PLstudent" u35043@uwe wrote in message news:73a649110a9f2@uwe...
[...]

I'm not sure why someone hasn't said anything. One person on this board
sleeps with a bunch of 3000's and he could perhaps give specifics on the LED
's lit. I scrapped a 3000 without firing it up. It appeared to be a unit
that would support dual p3 slot-1 cpu's.

If you look on the top panel it will show you which is cpu 1 position. It
will run with only that 1 cpu and it's accompanying vrm. It is fine with the
second cpu and vrm slot empty.

It is possible your problem is memory. Does it have the original Compaq ram.
That would be one of the first places to look.

On the board numbers, often that last number will be a revision, so I wouldn
't worry about that. Also try removing all the cards while trying to get it
going. Also check switch settings, these older boards usually have two 6 or
8 position dip switches. Reference to them is usually on the inside of the
case panels.

CPU's rarly give trouble unless someone has damaged them. About the only way
to do that is changing them with the power on, same with the ram.

Another note, if that is using dual P2 cpu's, it should accept p3 550 or 600
's. You also have to use the newer vrm's that take more current than the old
ones. Also bios needs to be upgraded to take it.

I would think you could find some basic info on the hp site, try:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...upport/Home.js

good luck
phil

Old June 14th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
PLstudent via HWKB.com

Phil wrote:
I am trying to bring back to life a PL3000 (it is my first time to work on
that kind of system). The system died (have no details about how it happened),

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

[...]

Thanks a lot Phil for your help, I tried removing 2nd processor, switching
processors on the first slot (the one at the top), no luck ..... I would
think if it is the ram, system should complain (beeps)... Like you said
probably not the processors so the VRMs ????

I looked at the dip switches set them according to the manual (found
somewhere on the net) ....... no luck .... looks like I didn't need a new
motherboard .......

Thanks a lot, you cleared away some doubts ....... I'll try to get some VRM's
on ebay

PLstudent