Proliant 1600 and IMD LCD Y-Cable

Old December 20th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Default Proliant 1600 and IMD LCD Y-Cable

Was able to locate a source for both 20 & 14 pin IDC type connectors so
I ordered two of each. I did notice that the 34 pin IDC on the display
has a pin that has a plug in it. I think I can figure out how this is
supposed to connect to the backplain.

RM

--
mchero
mchero's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=319

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old January 3rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

I'm still stuck on this display y-cable issue folks. If anyone could get
me a y-cable to just send me some pin outs so I can fabricate my own it
would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old January 4th 07, 06:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"mchero" wrote in message

I'm still stuck on this display y-cable issue folks. If anyone could get
me a y-cable to just send me some pin outs so I can fabricate my own it
would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
mchero
mchero's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=319
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=558532

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

mchero
I offered the cable if it was in that old 3000 I was going to junk. Just
needed someone to advise if the 3000 server has the same part you needed. I
haven't messed with it yet so it's still setting there.

send me your email address to pharwood at bellsouth.net

should be same same ... CPQ was really good about using universal parts for
every system that could host a particular component.

Mr Alsip probably has more up-to-date, hands-on experience with those older
systems.

I have been doing a LOT with the new 64bit (AMD64) proliant server, and
Integrity lines. Kinda losing the old edge on the details of the old PL
models.

- LC

Old January 4th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Thanks Phil

Old January 5th 07, 07:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Mr Alsip probably has more up-to-date, hands-on experience with those older
systems.

These cables are ABSOLUTELY the same. Many of the IMD's that I am using
in the 1600's, came out of scrapped 3000's. Same display units....same
cables.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old January 5th 07, 08:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Mr Alsip probably has more up-to-date, hands-on experience with those older
systems.

These cables are ABSOLUTELY the same. Many of the IMD's that I am using
in the 1600's, came out of scrapped 3000's. Same display units....same
cables.

Jeffrey Alsip

I would like to appeal to LC for an opinion (an educated opinion). I am
certain that, compared to a 3000, the 1600 is a machine that runs at a
much lower power consumption. But the 1600 will only allow me to run 5
drives (size MAY matter...in my case I am referring to 38.4G drives),
where the 3000 allows me to run 10. So my question is: Which is more
power efficient, one 3000 with 10 drives or TWO 1600's with five drives
apiece?

In the case of MY clients, the bulk of critcal data never exceeds 50G.
So the 1600's are a perfect (cheap...almost to the point of being FREE
to me). But, in the case of, the clients who DO exceed this storage
requirement, would a 3000 (of the best possible build) be a better
solution?

Indeed, two of my clients have storage requirements that are well below
20G. So, in their case, I have a seperate 1600 that hase a 20/40 DLT
drive installed. Every night, at 8:00pm, a copy is made, to the 1600's
hard disks, of ALL of the current files. At 9:00pm a tape backup is
made from this simple save partition. It has proved to be a marvelous
and fully redundant backup solution....MOSTLY because the 1600's can
run reliably FOREVER. I know this type of thinking cannot apply to
everyone (Jez comes irresistably to mind) but the fact is that there
are 10,000 small businesses for every major corporation. I am small,
but I like it that way.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old January 5th 07, 11:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Jeffrey

I know where your comming from! I was given this 1600 and I found a
stack of spare dives in a closet. I went on Greedbay and picked up a
fully functional 60/70 gig DLT with the compaq rails on it for a
whopping $13.

I'd like to go with some larger drives.

I stopped by the New Hampshire State auction/surplus house and spotted
two Proliant 6000's. WOW, what monsters! These 6K's had a $75.00 price
tag on each. The single drive cage was empty but it looked like the one
that I popped the side cover on had two of the four processor sockets
populated and it has a stack of memory installed. Drives and an O/S,
you would be ready to roll. Did have the older DLT tape drive
installed, 30 or 40 compressed, I can't recall..

Old January 5th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Mr Alsip probably has more up-to-date, hands-on experience with those
older
systems.

These cables are ABSOLUTELY the same. Many of the IMD's that I am using
in the 1600's, came out of scrapped 3000's. Same display units....same
cables.

Jeffrey Alsip

I would like to appeal to LC for an opinion (an educated opinion). I am
certain that, compared to a 3000, the 1600 is a machine that runs at a
much lower power consumption. But the 1600 will only allow me to run 5
drives (size MAY matter...in my case I am referring to 38.4G drives),
where the 3000 allows me to run 10. So my question is: Which is more
power efficient, one 3000 with 10 drives or TWO 1600's with five drives
apiece?

As usual, I must qualify my response with * it depends* ...

If the 1600 have the RPS units installed, it could be close. The 3000 has 2
500W low-line RPS's, while the 1600's with "3-bangers" as we have called
them, have 3 225w supplies. The non-RSP power supply in the 1600 is rated at
325W

If you *really* need to split up your processing load across 2 machines, the
1600's in a non-RPS configuration will cost you less to run in terms of
power and heat. Machines with the RPS installed, will cost more than 1 3000.

Depending on the model of the 3000/1600, the performance you can expect is
very similar. The advantage to the 3000 in any case is that it supports more
memory (333Mhz and below) than the 1600, and also with the 8 or 10 bay drive
cage, you can put an SA3200 in there, split the backplane across both
internal channels, which not only maximises the number of disks you can have
in one machine, but also affords better disk I/O performance when you split
your logical array volumes across both channels. For instance, if you want a
Mirror for your OS, use disk0 on channel 0, and disk0 on channel 1.

The 3000 offers more in terms of expansion slots, but also has more fans so
it tends to be a bit noisier. Its also larger, so if rack/hosting space
costs you money, you need to take that into consideration as well.

I think i have kinda wondered around with this reply ... let me know if it
needs clarification, or if it suits your needs.

- LC

Old January 5th 07, 11:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

I am
certain that, compared to a 3000, the 1600 is a machine that runs at a
much lower power consumption.

Well it would, but IIRC, there are 3 models of 1600 and 2 possible power
supplies (Am I confusing that with the PL800?)

But the 1600 will only allow me to run 5
drives (size MAY matter...in my case I am referring to 38.4G drives),
where the 3000 allows me to run 10.

I'd say the number of drives depends on the SmartArray controller + the
drive cage + the model of drive, not the power supply. I'd guess those are
36Gb drives, not 38Gb drives, and given the cost of 36Gb drives at the time,
chances are that your drives are of a newer generation to the PL1600,
therefore running an unsupported configuration. (please supply the 1600's
serial number + part numbers for array controler & drives)

So my question is: Which is more
power efficient, one 3000 with 10 drives or TWO 1600's with five drives
apiece?

One 3000. Don't take my word for it - I tend not to research the answers I
give here - it's from memory and experience. To be certain, you need to
check the documentation. As available from www.hp.com (somewhere)

I'd recommend an external disk array.

BTW - you may well get a different response according to where you are in
the world - I only do 230v power.

Nut Cracker" wrote
As usual, I must qualify my response with * it depends* ...

Spoken like a true professional.