Mail sent at each startup and constant disk access?

Old June 4th 04, 10:03 PM
Dennis Kessler

Default Mail sent at each startup and constant disk access?

How can I stop the mail and constant hard drive activity?

Everytime the Presario 5170, running Windows 98 is booted up, the
computer tries to send an email. I can see this activity on my router's
log file. No mail programs are running. Nothing is queued to be sent.

This began yesterday, (I think, after fiddling with the internet
keyboard buttons). Prior to yesterday, I had the startup configuration
in msconfig, set to not load the Compaq startup software that controls
the keyboard buttons.

Also, I see the hard drive light showing regular activity every several
seconds, no matter how long the computer is idle.

The disk activity is not the fast find program. I have that set to stop.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Old June 4th 04, 11:52 PM
Dennis Kessler

"doS" wrote:

Geez..prolly a virus....

I think not. I think it has to do with me enabling the keyboard 'easy
access buttons.' ...Much of the Compaq software was unchecked in the
msconfig startup tab. I check 'em to enabled the Compaq stuff, and it
seems like that is when the mail and the disk access problem began.

Also, I checked the computer with the lastest AVG anti-virus software.

Thanks.

-Dennis

Old June 5th 04, 12:23 AM
Pat Blank

Dennis Kessler wrote in
:

I think not. I think it has to do with me enabling the keyboard 'easy
access buttons.' ...Much of the Compaq software was unchecked in the
msconfig startup tab. I check 'em to enabled the Compaq stuff, and it
seems like that is when the mail and the disk access problem began.

Also, I checked the computer with the lastest AVG anti-virus software.

Thanks.

-Dennis

Could be that the easy access keys are malfunctioning. If you disable
these and it stops then bingo.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Old June 5th 04, 12:47 AM
Dennis Kessler

Pat Blank wrote:

Dennis Kessler wrote in
:

I think not. I think it has to do with me enabling the keyboard 'easy
access buttons.' ...Much of the Compaq software was unchecked in the
msconfig startup tab. I check 'em to enabled the Compaq stuff, and it
seems like that is when the mail and the disk access problem began.

Also, I checked the computer with the lastest AVG anti-virus software.

Thanks.

-Dennis

Could be that the easy access keys are malfunctioning. If you disable
these and it stops then bingo.

I tried that. I think an email was created and is queued somewhere. The
email never does get sent (something is fortunatly not configured
right). I see on my router's log file that an smtp mail failed, each
time. I just don't know where to look to stop the queued mail. Also, it
might be related to the ongoing intermittent disk access.

-Dennis

Old June 5th 04, 01:19 AM
doS

If its a worm or trojan, it is trying to mail itself out, AVG is kinda sucky
also.

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
Pat Blank wrote:

Dennis Kessler wrote in
:

Old June 5th 04, 01:28 AM
Pat Blank

Dennis Kessler wrote in
:

Could be that the easy access keys are malfunctioning. If you disable
these and it stops then bingo.

I tried that. I think an email was created and is queued somewhere.
The email never does get sent (something is fortunatly not configured
right). I see on my router's log file that an smtp mail failed, each
time. I just don't know where to look to stop the queued mail. Also,
it might be related to the ongoing intermittent disk access.

-Dennis

Have you also run a spyware check? What OS are you using? Have you
looked at what processes or startup tasks are running? Perhaps uninstall
and reinstall the latest EA keyboard driver. I'm not familiar with the
functions of the keyboard, but I assume one of the buttons does a
receive/send email? Maybe it tries regardless of whether there actually
is queued mail. Maybe it is set for a different server and since it
doesn't exist it fails. Check Options to see what it was supposed to do
before it was apparantly disabled.

All I can think of so far.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Old June 5th 04, 01:59 AM
Dennis Kessler

Pat Blank wrote:

Dennis Kessler wrote in

[...]

I ran Spybot. No help there, except I do see a something that looks like
a message process running. (I'm not at that computer right now.)

You're problably right about re-installing the EA keyboard software.
Because the ablility to change to preferences of the bottons doesn't
give me the necessary choices.

Maybe there is a .ini file for the EA keyboard.

Old June 5th 04, 02:01 AM
Dennis Kessler

"doS" wrote:

If its a worm or trojan, it is trying to mail itself out, AVG is kinda sucky
also.

What's the problem with AVG?

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message

Dennis Kessler wrote in

Old June 5th 04, 02:13 AM
doS

You get what you pay for...;-)

"doS" wrote:

If its a worm or trojan, it is trying to mail itself out, AVG is kinda

sucky
also.

What's the problem with AVG?

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message