Windows XP SP2 Shut down problem

Old November 9th 04, 10:32 AM
John Johnson

Default Windows XP SP2 Shut down problem

In recent weeks my computer has developed a shut down problem. Takes
a minute or two between clicking on shut down for it to actually shut
down. It hands first on the hour glass just to click on shut down
then hangs again at the screen windows shutting down.

Ive been to various sites including MS and followed suggestions but so
far nothing as worked.
I have disabled some programs that might be problematic even used End
It All and again still have the problem

Old November 9th 04, 06:03 PM
Dave C.

"John Johnson" wrote in message
In recent weeks my computer has developed a shut down problem. Takes
a minute or two between clicking on shut down for it to actually shut
down. It hands first on the hour glass just to click on shut down
then hangs again at the screen windows shutting down.

Ive been to various sites including MS and followed suggestions but so
far nothing as worked.
I have disabled some programs that might be problematic even used End
It All and again still have the problem

What kind of anti-virus software are you using? Have you run a thorough
scan lately? -Dave

Old November 9th 04, 06:24 PM
John Johnson

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:03:39 -0500, "Dave C." wrote:

"John Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
In recent weeks my computer has developed a shut down problem. Takes
a minute or two between clicking on shut down for it to actually shut
down. It hands first on the hour glass just to click on shut down
then hangs again at the screen windows shutting down.

Ive been to various sites including MS and followed suggestions but so
far nothing as worked.
I have disabled some programs that might be problematic even used End
It All and again still have the problem

What kind of anti-virus software are you using? Have you run a thorough
scan lately? -Dave

Did scans, chkdsk /r running Norton 2003, Ad Aware, defrags anything
I could think of.
There was a known problem with Norton Anti Virus 2003 but the
recommendation was just to run live update which I did.

Old November 9th 04, 06:27 PM
JAD

disable norton for a shutdown or two....disable as much as you can if
the problem persists.

Old November 9th 04, 06:44 PM
Dave C.

"JAD" wrote in message
disable norton for a shutdown or two....disable as much as you can if
the problem persists.

I'm not sure disabling it would be enough. I'd try uninstalling it. If the
OP is worried about leaving the PC unprotected, you could temporarily
install the free version of AVG antivirus. There are no "issues" with that
anti-virus software that I'm aware of. -Dave

Old November 9th 04, 06:59 PM
JAD

if you use 'kill process its dead...I would uninstall anything
norton...but not all agree

Old November 10th 04, 05:26 AM
Martin

"JAD" wrote in message
if you use 'kill process its dead...I would uninstall anything
norton...but not all agree

I'll agree!

Old November 10th 04, 10:06 PM
John Johnson

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:03:39 -0500, "Dave C." wrote:

"John Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
In recent weeks my computer has developed a shut down problem. Takes
a minute or two between clicking on shut down for it to actually shut
down. It hands first on the hour glass just to click on shut down
then hangs again at the screen windows shutting down.

Ive been to various sites including MS and followed suggestions but so
far nothing as worked.
I have disabled some programs that might be problematic even used End
It All and again still have the problem

What kind of anti-virus software are you using? Have you run a thorough
scan lately? -Dave

Check Event Log and every time it had the problem of very slow shut
downs I noticed an error reported in DCOM.
Went to GRC and got his DCOM disabler.

Disabling DCOM did not seem to help after a few good reboots it hung
again. Seems to hang more often when I do a lot of activities. Right
after I reboot it will usually reboot as normal.

Even with DCOM disabled still got a DCOM error message:

The server (9b`f22c-2982-4e91-aa8b-e071d541d54f2a4d) did not register
with DCOM within the required timeout

Old November 10th 04, 10:39 PM
JAD

Dcom errors were mentioned somewhere before?
Dcom errors are very often caused by an incorrect server name/address
Those problems point to a hijack or malware running at shutdown.

Old November 11th 04, 06:33 AM
John Johnson

Rahn two anti virus, Norton and AGP and Ad ware and Spy Bot