Is my (aeolus) Geforce 6600 GT AGP busted?

Old January 11th 05, 09:49 PM
Dan B

Default Is my (aeolus) Geforce 6600 GT AGP busted?

I just made a new system but kept hold of my old PSU (300 watt) which
consists of ABIT KV8-PRO, AMD 64 3000+, 512 PC3200, 200Gb SATA Seagate.
Thats all there is in there at the moment. (and the Aeolus Geforce 6600 GT)

I put XP Pro on clean and then installed the latest Forceware drivers and
after a quick restart my computer just gets to the bit before your desktop
loads and leaves you with a black screen with the mouse pointer. If I then
try and move the mouse its as if the screen is updating once every 20
seconds. There is no hard disk activity at this time.

When I take the 6600 out and put my old Geforce ti3200 back in it all works
perfect again.

Could I need a new PSU? Should I just return the 6600GT and get one from a
different manufacturer such as the BFG one? Has anyone else tried the Aeolus
one?

Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!

Regards

Dan B

Old January 11th 05, 09:59 PM
mine

Dan B wrote:
Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!

1) Connect the AGP card to the PSU
2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
3) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card to 64

Regards

Dan B

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/
Old January 11th 05, 10:05 PM
Dan B

Sounds like it could help things greatly but I can only get into windows
with my Geforce ti3200 attached and so when I run this program it shows that
rather than the 6600GT. If I then put the 6600GT back in i wont be able to
get into windows.

Hang on I guess I could try Safe Mode.....

Old January 11th 05, 10:13 PM
mine

Dan B wrote:
Sounds like it could help things greatly but I can only get into windows
with my Geforce ti3200 attached and so when I run this program it shows that
rather than the 6600GT. If I then put the 6600GT back in i wont be able to
get into windows.

What kind of PSU are You using? A good quality 370 Watt is needed and You
*must* connect it to the card in order to get stability ;-)

The PCI latency program is not compulsory (I'm wondering if this is the right
word in english LOL :-P)

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Old January 11th 05, 10:23 PM
Dan B

Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card also.

i tried the program and it got into windows but then the whole thing locked
up after about 10 seconds. I wish I had a spare psu to try.

Is the locking up thing a characteristic of a low powered PSU?

thanks for your help man, ill try it all again tomorrow. its been a long day

Dan

Old January 11th 05, 10:26 PM
mine

Dan B wrote:
Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card also.

Bingo! This is what is driving You crazy man! If you want to use the 6600GT
You *must* have at least a good 370 Watt and connect to the card, as I said
before. I suggest Enermax PSU ;-)

Is the locking up thing a characteristic of a low powered PSU?

Yes it is: Not enough amperage on the AGP bus

thanks for your help man, ill try it all again tomorrow. its been a long day

Bye!

Dan

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Old January 12th 05, 06:22 AM
Dan B

Right I'll try and get hold of one today and see what happens!

Thanks dudes!

Dan

"DaveW" wrote in message
You need a larger output PSU.

--
DaveW

Old January 12th 05, 10:30 AM
hb

"mine" wrote in message
Dan B wrote:
Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card

also.

Bingo! This is what is driving You crazy man! If you want to use the

6600GT
You *must* have at least a good 370 Watt and connect to the card, as I

said
before. I suggest Enermax PSU ;-)

I'll admit I don't know much about 3d cards, but I thought the graphics
card only drew a lot of power when doing 3d stuff, not the windows desktop ?
Wouldn't a 6600gt be doing exactly the same amount of work as a riva TNT
when its showing the desktop ?

Old January 12th 05, 10:29 PM
!bungle

"mine" wrote in message
Dan B wrote:
Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!

1) Connect the AGP card to the PSU
2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
3) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card to 64

Regards

Dan B

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

I'm not having probs with my BFG 6600GT OC, but out of curiousity I ran the
tool and I'm showing only 32 as my cards latency... good, yes?

From the readme I think you wouldn't want to go higher, only lower. Am I OK
in making that deductive leap?

!bungle