nForce chipset & 5700 Ultra

Old December 8th 03, 07:08 PM
Chris Wall

Default nForce chipset & 5700 Ultra

this is driving me crazy - i have a Asus a7n266-vm motherboard and recently
purchased a 5700 ultra and they do not seem to work together. i had a 5200U
& 5600U that worked fine with this motherboard, but the 5700U locks the
system up upon boot. i have wiped the drive and reinstalled XP 2 times, but
as soon as i load the chipset drives the machine locks up. anyone have a
similar setup working???
Chris

Old December 9th 03, 04:48 AM
DaveL

Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard you can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old December 11th 03, 06:42 AM
Chris Wall

It works in a Gentoo machine with the new beta drivers for linux, but I
think your idea about unpacking the latest nForce drivers and leaving out
the video part was right on - because everything would work fine till I used
the nForce auto install, then all the issues started (system lockups or
corrupted display)!
thanks,
Chris

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard you

can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old December 29th 03, 10:12 PM
Mike

Chris,

Did you ever get this to function properly. I am having the same
trouble but with an MSI nforce (MS-6373) board. If I remove the
chipset drivers and only install the video the card functions properly
but as soon as I load the chipset drivers the machine freezes. Are
there beta nforce drivers that you know about?

Mike

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard you

can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old December 30th 03, 03:09 AM
Mike

Chris,

The problem is with the GUART driver. Before the nforce drivers are
loaded device is listed as a "PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge"
Afterwards it is listed as an "Nvidia Nforce AGP Host to PCI Bridge"
If I used the generic windows drivers for this device the video card
functions properly however the card operated in PCI mode. Anyone have
any ideas on how to get this working?

Mike

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard you

can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old December 30th 03, 04:41 AM
DaveL

I would help you if you said what OS you are using, what version of nforce
driver and what model video card. We can't read your mind, your know.
Isn't the MS-6373 the same as a K7N420pro? I have one of those running
flawlessly with a host of different video cards.

Dave

(Mike) wrote in message

. com...
Chris,

Did you ever get this to function properly. I am having the same
trouble but with an MSI nforce (MS-6373) board. If I remove the
chipset drivers and only install the video the card functions properly
but as soon as I load the chipset drivers the machine freezes. Are
there beta nforce drivers that you know about?

Mike

om...

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard

you
can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U

without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more

power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My

other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old January 3rd 04, 02:56 AM
NoName Joe

I have the same problem. I have a a7n266-vm and installed a MSI
Fx5700-VTD128 and as soon as I install the GART driver of XP it locks
up and/or grabled the video. At first I thought it might be a bad card
but I put it in an old machine that has a K7V motherboard and the card
worked flawessly. I know the AGP slot on the a7n266-vm is good
because I upgraded it from a GF4MX that worked with out a problem. I
know it is not the power supply because both system that I tried the
card in, have fortron 300w power supplies. I think Nvidia have a bug
in both the Agp to pci driver and the Video driver. The Card is not
fully initlized until the AGP/PCI driver is installed. Both drivers
have a bug that do not handle the card properly. If the AGP/PCI
driver is installed and the video driver is left as a geniec it
garbles the video on the screen. Then when the lastest video drivers
are installed it completely locks up and will not load XP past the
startup screen.

(Mike) wrote in message

. com...
Chris,

Did you ever get this to function properly. I am having the same
trouble but with an MSI nforce (MS-6373) board. If I remove the
chipset drivers and only install the video the card functions properly
but as soon as I load the chipset drivers the machine freezes. Are
there beta nforce drivers that you know about?

Mike

om...

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard

you
can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U

without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more

power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My

other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

. com...

Old January 7th 04, 10:47 PM
Mike

Joe,

I was never able to figure out what the problem was. I had the PNY
5700 Ultra and an MSI K7N420 Pro Motherboard. I tried every version
of the GART driver that I could find. After about two weeks of trying
I finally gave up and returned the card. I called PNY many times
thinking that maybe it was a known issue but they were no help. They
basically told me that if I installed the drivers properly I should
have no problem. Kind of disappointing that a NVIDIA Video card would
not work in a mother board with an NVIDIA chipset.

Mike

(Mike) wrote in message
. com...
Chris,

Did you ever get this to function properly. I am having the same
trouble but with an MSI nforce (MS-6373) board. If I remove the
chipset drivers and only install the video the card functions properly
but as soon as I load the chipset drivers the machine freezes. Are
there beta nforce drivers that you know about?

Mike

om...

"DaveL" wrote in message
Which version Nforce chipset driver are you installing? I've heard

you
can
unpack the driver and then delete the video driver from it before
installing. I assume you first tried just plugging in the 5700U

without
changing anything else, correct? Maybe the 5700U is taking more

power and
your PSU is not enough for it. Try another, more powerful one. My

other
guess is you got a bad 5700U.

Dave

"Chris Wall" wrote in message
. com...
this is driving me crazy - i have a Asus a7n266-vm motherboard and

recently
purchased a 5700 ultra and they do not seem to work together. i

had a
5200U
& 5600U that worked fine with this motherboard, but the 5700U

locks the
system up upon boot. i have wiped the drive and reinstalled XP 2

times,
but
as soon as i load the chipset drives the machine locks up. anyone

have
similar setup working???
Chris

Please (help with/review) my new AMD PC build.... Darth Joules General 2 December 26th 03 09:06 AM
Nforce Ultra II 400 Ram slots Mickey Overclocking AMD Processors 1 October 17th 03 11:17 AM
NFORCE 2 ULTRA 400 B.allen General 0 October 6th 03 05:35 PM
Is this a 5600 ultra or not ? Rob Nvidia Videocards 5 August 20th 03 04:13 PM
Need Help - Stability problems nForce Ultra 400 / Barton 2500+ Thomas Pinckney Overclocking AMD Processors 6 August 5th 03 05:11 PM