Half_pint's progress AKA (Adaptec or PCLine are ****)

Old November 27th 04, 02:54 AM
half_pint

Default Half_pint's progress AKA (Adaptec or PCLine are ****)

Well so far I have found I get problems which ever burning software
I use, I tried a burn on a new disk (twice) with binArtiasn and it bombed
out
with errors, usually "power calibration error" or other stuff, so it is
burning
software independant.

I did try some burns (with binArtisan) on some of my disks which failed
the Adaptec DriectCD format, some did not work at all whilst others
started burning but came up with an error part way through,
one was 50% of 400 meg and another 90% of 400meg (approx figures).
So... I tried burning just 200 meg (1/3 of a disk which leave 2/3 wasted
but that is better than nothing) and it worked OK.

I have a spindle of 17 failed format disks (not including the ones I have
binned as 'dead losses' (about 5) and I have 22 left. I will be glad if
just 4 of the 22 work (pretty sad figures!!).

What I have found on some of the CDs I burned with Direct CD is that
on some disks I get an error "cannot write to disk" whenI try to burn,
this also locks up my PC so I have to reboot, but often when I try again
after rebooting i am able to write to the disk again with DIrectCD.
It does take an age to reboot especially with my new spyware on it!!!
(I can kill the spyware after boot though).

I have read on some forums that taking the drive apart and oiling the
slider, and maybe cleaning the head might help (this did work for me
when my CDR drive would not read disks). (I think it has packed in
working again now though.

What I am thinking is that I have a poor drive, and poor media and the
two do not go togeather well.

MAybe I will invest in a CDRW drive as they are pretty cheap, it would be
worth it if it worked considering the number of coasters I am producing.

My other dirve (just CDR) has packed in working as I said so I will have
a spare bay, (I will not read the good disk I just mastered) however I
will probably take it apart and have a look at it first, it does make some
not very nice noises (sounds like something is scraping on something,
which might be the disk or maybe the sliders are 'gritty' as it does not
make the horrible 'clunk' sound my other drive does when it is trying
to read a disk (and failing), I refer to it as the clunk of death as I know
if I get a lot of them my computer will freeze up (if I am using Adaptec)
however none of the other burning software kills my computer like
Adaptec so I am thinking about dumping Adaptec altogeather.

Old November 27th 04, 04:09 AM
Phlexor

half_pint wrote:
I have read on some forums that taking the drive apart and oiling the
slider, and maybe cleaning the head might help (this did work for me
when my CDR drive would not read disks). (I think it has packed in
working again now though.

Also you should clean the part that GRIPS the disc to the motor, you would
be surprised how dirty this gets

Old November 27th 04, 04:56 AM
Troy

In order for proper testing you need to buy about 3 or 4 more brands of CDRs
to test with.You can test until the cows come home on you **** CDs but its
doing you no good.Why not bring your computer to a computer store and have
them fix it.We all can see you have no clue when it comes to computers.

Old November 27th 04, 02:39 PM
dadiOH

half_pint wrote:

It does take an age to reboot especially with my new spyware on
it!!! (I can kill the spyware after boot though).

So you think. Why not just *remove* it? Google "remove spyware"

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Old November 27th 04, 03:41 PM
OldFartJAC

Why not go out and spend $25 for a new CD/RW and quit wasting all your time.
I don't recall you mentioning what brand of unit you have. I have 2 LiteOn
CD//RW's a Plextor 708A DVD and a NEC 2510A DVD burner and they all burn
anything I throw at them. I have had a few bad disks both CD and DVD but
very few and I have used many cheaper brands. I also use NERO and never use
any packet writing software like Direct/CD or Nero InCD. Why bother with
packet writing, just leave your session open and keep adding to the CD until
full.

Old November 27th 04, 04:23 PM
half_pint

"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

It does take an age to reboot especially with my new spyware on
it!!! (I can kill the spyware after boot though).

So you think. Why not just *remove* it? Google "remove spyware"

I have spyware removal stuff however removing the spyware might add
another variable as to why the software which comes with the spyware
might not work.
It is satisfactory for me just to kill off the running spyware
processes at the monent.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Old November 27th 04, 04:36 PM
half_pint

Well it will cost the about £20 ($40). And I may do, but I want to open
the drive up and clean it out first (I am a smoker!!!).

Also I am upgrading (buyin a new one) my PC soon (waiting for the
dollar to hit rock bottom first !) The £20 I save will buy me for days
supply of cigarettes!!

Old November 29th 04, 02:18 PM
James Perrett

Troy wrote:

In order for proper testing you need to buy about 3 or 4 more brands of CDRs
to test with.You can test until the cows come home on you **** CDs but its
doing you no good.Why not bring your computer to a computer store and have
them fix it.We all can see you have no clue when it comes to computers.

The guy talks about PCLine which means that he shops at PCWorld in the
UK. PCWorld are famous for being 2-3 times more expensive than normal
computer suppliers and giving very poor support. The only plus points
are their longer opening hours and better in store displays than other
computer stores.

The best suggestion I can make is that Half Pint should find a proper
local PC dealer who can give him the help he needs.

Cheers.

James.
Old November 29th 04, 03:05 PM
Allen

James Perrett wrote:

Troy wrote:

In order for proper testing you need to buy about 3 or 4 more brands of CDRs
to test with.You can test until the cows come home on you **** CDs but its
doing you no good.Why not bring your computer to a computer store and have
them fix it.We all can see you have no clue when it comes to computers.

The guy talks about PCLine which means that he shops at PCWorld in the
UK. PCWorld are famous for being 2-3 times more expensive than normal
computer suppliers and giving very poor support. The only plus points
are their longer opening hours and better in store displays than other
computer stores.

The best suggestion I can make is that Half Pint should find a proper
local PC dealer who can give him the help he needs.

Cheers.

James.

Half-pint brags about his vast experience in programming. If he is
still employed as a programmer, he could create much more personal time
to devote to solving his problems very simply. All he needs to do is to
print out all his posts to this group and present them to his manager.
To make sure that the free time will continue to exist, he could add
them to his resume.
Allen

Old November 30th 04, 07:08 PM
half_pint

"James Perrett" wrote in message
Troy wrote:

In order for proper testing you need to buy about 3 or 4 more brands of

CDRs
to test with.You can test until the cows come home on you **** CDs but

its
doing you no good.Why not bring your computer to a computer store and

have
them fix it.We all can see you have no clue when it comes to computers.

The guy talks about PCLine which means that he shops at PCWorld in the
UK. PCWorld are famous for being 2-3 times more expensive than normal
computer suppliers and giving very poor support. The only plus points
are their longer opening hours and better in store displays than other
computer stores.

The best suggestion I can make is that Half Pint should find a proper
local PC dealer who can give him the help he needs.

They are pretty much the local PC dealer, I paid £10
for 50, a reasonable price had they worked.

Cheers.

James.

Adaptec 'Easy' audio CD ceator is SHIT. terry smith Cdr 23 October 8th 04 02:46 PM
Adaptec 2400A RAID card Dan Langille General 0 September 4th 04 03:23 AM
Adaptec 2120S on ABIT KV7 Ken - Tech Abit Motherboards 0 July 22nd 04 01:52 PM
Adaptec and Roxio? Kar Cdr 8 November 4th 03 07:57 AM
Conflict between Nero and Adaptec miniport driver Hugh Conkey Cdr 1 August 19th 03 11:28 AM