CDR writing failure

Old November 9th 04, 10:02 AM
dmerk

Default CDR writing failure

Dear Group,

I faced a strange problem when writing CD-Rs.

The config: IBM Thinkpad R40e, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, TEAC DW-224E
writer,
OEM XP home SP1. A brand new machine, bought just a month ago.

After having written about 30 CDs with no problems, from a certain
moment on,
writing failed unreproducibly at about every second CD.

When writing audio CDs with Feurio, it reports "DEVICEIOCONTROL-ERROR"
which
I don't understand. Once I noticed a "Read error when filling buffer"
message as well. Then, Windows tries to save system data but unable
to do it, everything slows down and finally I have to reboot and
discard
the CD-R.

I tried IBM RecordNow (a pre-installed simple burning software), it
produces an error message without a clear explanation or message.

Nero (v. 5.9.9.0.) reports "Could not perform fixation" and "Invalid
field in parameter" in a loop, finally "Could not perform EndTrack"
(?)
when writing a data CD.

I do not run any paralel software, I did not install anything bad
before
the error occurred, there is no net connection when burning. I also
checked,
there are no hardware IRQ problems.

I made an extensive search on newsgroups and web forums, observed
people
reporting similar problems, but I couldn't find a clear answer (that
is,
"A" reports the problem "B" proposes a solution "A" tries and
reports
success). Instead, many ideas arose, from those I tried some and
comment
on others:

- "It is the error of CDR, try different brands" - it happens at
several different CDR brands
- "disable "drag&drop" CD writing" - it is disabled
- "try firmware update" - the writer is OEM, the system is
pre-installed,
it should work as it is
- "try installing new ASPI driver" - the writer is OEM, the system is
pre-
installed, it should work as it is, also Feurio do not propose it

Sorry this was so long but I am desperate without any understanding or
idea.
Any help is appreciated.

dmerk
Old November 10th 04, 07:12 PM
half_pint

"dmerk" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Don't worry about it your's is a common and normal experience, just
keep buying lots and lots of CDs and keep some industry big wigs
swanning around in their Rolls-Royces.

Alternatively as it is a brand new machine you can take it back to
the shop and demamd they fix it or give you your money back as you
would do with any faulty goods. (Their chances of fixing it are zero).

If you bought a car and its wheels kept falling off what would you do?

dmerk

Old November 11th 04, 11:22 AM
dmerk

"half_pint" wrote in message ...

Hello,

Thanks.

Don't worry about it your's is a common and normal experience, just
keep buying lots and lots of CDs and keep some industry big wigs
swanning around in their Rolls-Royces.

I don't think it's common or normal.

Alternatively as it is a brand new machine you can take it back to
the shop and demamd they fix it or give you your money back as you

Of course it is a feasible option but I want to make sure if it is a
hardware error. My suspect was some driver/configuration collision
or incompatibility but I have no means nor idea how to check it.

would do with any faulty goods. (Their chances of fixing it are zero).

?????

dmerk
Old November 11th 04, 12:15 PM
Graham Mayor

It is possible that one of Microsoft's interminable security updates has
screwed things up, for example when I updated my laptop to Windows XP SP2, I
lost the ability to write to DVDs (though CDs could still be written). If
you know when you were last able to write properly, roll back the system to
a time before that date and see if that fixes things.

--

Graham Mayor

Old November 11th 04, 07:42 PM
almost_invisible

"dmerk" wrote in message
m...
"half_pint" wrote in message

Hello,

Thanks.

Don't worry about it your's is a common and normal experience, just
keep buying lots and lots of CDs and keep some industry big wigs
swanning around in their Rolls-Royces.

I don't think it's common or normal.

Alternatively as it is a brand new machine you can take it back to
the shop and demamd they fix it or give you your money back as you

Of course it is a feasible option but I want to make sure if it is a
hardware error. My suspect was some driver/configuration collision
or incompatibility but I have no means nor idea how to check it.

Take it back to the shop and tell them it doesn't work, which it clearly
does not, if they can prove it works (lol) then there is no problem.

They sold you the ****e so the can ****ing fix it.

Would you not return any other similar faulty goods eg TV,
stereo, washing machine?
Why make an exception just because is is a computer?
The all come under the same sales laws and should be
'fix for purpose' which your computer is not as it cannot
record cds which is one of the purposes you bought it for.

Old November 12th 04, 08:47 PM
Evi

"almost_invisible" wrote in message

"dmerk" wrote in message
m...
"half_pint" wrote in message

Hello,

Thanks.

[...]

Trouble is that some shops have found a very cute way of dealing with PC
hardware problems. They tell you that if the problem turns out to be a
software fault (ie your fault) then you will have to pay big for their
engineer to have looked at it. You will have to take their word that the
fault was a software one and a horrible feeling in your bones tells you that
the engineer will be certain to find that the fault is your software.
Evi

Old November 13th 04, 05:55 PM
half_pint

"Evi" wrote in message

"almost_invisible" wrote in message

"dmerk" wrote in message
m...
"half_pint" wrote in message

Hello,

Thanks.

[...]

No what they will have to do is format and use one of the cds
on one of the machines in their store, if they can do that then
fair enough, however there chances are about 10-1 from my experience.
I expect them to format 3-4 in a row before I will be satisfied.
If the disks are faulty I will expect them to clear the faulty stock from
display too.

Old November 13th 04, 06:01 PM
half_pint

"half_pint" wrote in message

"Evi" wrote in message

"almost_invisible" wrote in message

"dmerk" wrote in message
m...
"half_pint" wrote in message

Hello,

Thanks.

[...]

Also one disk did actually format!!! So how will they explain that?
(Thats one disk in about 10).

Awhat if I buy some 'proper' disks format one of them,
try to format a PCline disk (and fail) and then format a
'proper' disk again?
Going to be hard to argue against that isn't it?