The XP SP2 Horror to come.

Old August 20th 04, 11:39 AM
Louie

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
The real operating system being??? How about the operating system I WROTE

from
scratch for the GE-225 computer back in the mid-1960's? Instead of

reading all
programs from punched cards as done previously, it loaded programs from a

hard
disk the size of a pizza oven, with TWO refrigerator-sized controllers to

handle
the disk. Is that real enough for you?

Ben,

Thought I recognized your name! Just couldn't place you until the above
post. Sorry 'bout that (CRAFT disease, don'cha know). bg Glad to see
you're still in there kicking, guy! I've only been in the biz since '79-'80
(COCO I & II). BASIC wasn't too bad, but had a little trouble with COBOL &
FORTRAN.

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

---

Old August 20th 04, 02:46 PM
TR

A follow up on the computer store with the 9 display computers that
had sp2 put on them...

The one that just would not boot after... He finally did a full
restoration this morning, not hard since it had nothing more on it
than what was on the restoration. The computer is sitting there
waiting to be notified of the sp2 update since that is the only way
you can get the update (through the automatic notification). You
can't get it from the online update site.

So.... they are waiting.... waiting..... waiting.......

They have tried the time setting for the download and the chosen time
has passed by two times and nothing. He is wondering if they have
pulled the update or something.....

So... I had turned auto notification off completely on this desktop,
opting to just check manually on a daily bases to see if there were
any criticals available. I turned auto notify back on and waited...
Nothing. I then also set a time to do the check and it passed with
nothing...

Do you suppose they pulled it?

Regards,
TR
Old August 20th 04, 04:16 PM
Jupiter Jones

No, but Microsoft is daily limiting the number of computers getting
SP-2 through Automatic Update.
The computer may get SP-2 now or it could be a few days.
Interactive Update is not due available until 25 August.
So all is normal and as expected.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Old August 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Justin Thompson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:46:46 -0400, TR
wrote:

[...]

I downloaded the 'stand alone' version of the update - its big - about
+260Mb but you can get form here

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...size=278927592

Note: Link may wrap

Cheers
Old August 20th 04, 06:35 PM
TR

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:16:18 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
wrote:

No, but Microsoft is daily limiting the number of computers getting
SP-2 through Automatic Update.
The computer may get SP-2 now or it could be a few days.
Interactive Update is not due available until 25 August.
So all is normal and as expected.

My computer store friend told me he found this out from another store
owner later this morning. Anyway, he also was given a URL to a MS
site where the whole 266meg "IT" form of SP2 could be downloaded (I
think this is what he called it).

Anyway, he downloaded it and tried it on the system that had gone
completely down with the SP2 update that had come through the AU
method and this time the install caused no problems (after a complete
restoration). No indication why the first installation caused a
complete system meltdown.

The system that was updated and had NAV2004 go south is still a
problem and he says as it looks right now, will need a complete
restoration and second try at sp2 also.

And the other 7 systems that were updated via AU have yet to show any
problems....

I turned AU back off and downloaded the 266meg file just to have it.
I am still going to hold off until the air clears on this one.

Thanks for the information on why AU is holding off for some..... I
guess they have to do that in order to keep the bandwidth at a
reasonable.... "width"....

Regards,
TR
Old August 20th 04, 06:38 PM
TR

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:19:55 GMT, Justin Thompson
wrote:

I downloaded the 'stand alone' version of the update - its big - about
+260Mb but you can get form here
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...size=278927592

Got it later this morning Justin and also found out via Jupiter as to
why some are getting the AU to go through and others are not....

Also, the following gets you the same:

Regards,
TR
Old August 20th 04, 06:49 PM
TR

A place I came across on the web that has a very helpful checklist of
things to do before attempting SP2... You might be familiar with it
(G) but others that don't know of its existance might like it posted
here.....

Regards,
TR
Old August 20th 04, 08:05 PM
Jupiter Jones

Yep, I originally made that page for SP-1 and extensively changed it
for SP-2.
Also you may want to see the sister page:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
Especially just added FAQ #7 which I will add to once Microsoft gets
back to me with more details, hopefully within a few hours.
It seems there is more information that will clear up what seems to be
a problem but may not be.

Old August 20th 04, 09:46 PM
Sam Byrams

There are other office productivity packages and they work about as
well as M$ Office. If you are running a business with employees you
don't regard as fungible cogs, getting them to use other programs is
pretty simple. They are generally far less expensive, often more
robust, and some probably easier to use.