Micro BTX MB in non-Micro BTX case

Old November 15th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Just a citizen . . .

Default Micro BTX MB in non-Micro BTX case

I have a D945GCZ Intel MB - it's in a micro-BTX case. It's a normal home
machine - no separate graphic card, a single hard drive, nothing fancy, no
gaming requirements, or anything like that. I'm looking for a different
case to reduce the excessive fan noise. I have replaced the CPU's thermal
module with a replacement from Thermaltake and it's near silent - all of the
noise seems to be coming from the power supply fan. To test, I briefly
stopped the PS fan and the machine was silent. I have replaced the PS once
already, with a model that was supposed to be quiet, and it wasn't - there
was virtually no difference. Additionally, I was never happy with the
overall cooling of the machine - so I'm trying to find a different case
that''ll work with this board, but I'm not having any luck - the micro-BTC
seems to be rare.

Any suggestions on an alternative case that'll work, AND run very quietly?
THANKS!

Old November 15th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
The Seabat[_2_]

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:53:12 -0600, "Just a citizen . . ."
wrote:

[...]

Howdy: I'm no expert by any definition, but I run my Asus A8N-E board
in a BTX case. From what I can tell, if the MB holes line up, it
doesn't matter which board/case you use. The only difference I can
tell is that your I/O layout on the back will be reversed (top to
bottom) and the power supply will be on the bottom instead of the top.
Which makes for a better center of gravity. Also, you have to get used
to the removeable case cover being on the opposite side.

The only thing that I had a problem with was cable lengths. The ports
on the MB will be at opposite ends and your cables might not reach.
--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!
Old November 16th 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

news
wrote:

[...]

NO

You cannot use an ATX formfactor motherboard in a BTX style case...
they are not interchangeable

anyway it's a moot point
because changing the case is not going to make the machine any less
noisy...

however if you want a new case..it's as simple as putting BTX case
into a google search

Old November 19th 08, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Just a citizen . . .

The problem is with the micro BTX case power supply - I KNOW that's where
the noise is coming from - it's a CFX form factor (kinda L-shaped), there
are VERY few of them available - I've already replaced it once and it's
still noisy.

Some of the Thermaltake cases that have a BTX "adapter" would be OK, but by
the time ya get the case and the adapter and a quiet PS, it's pushing $250.

I am seeing some other hybrid ATX cases - less expensive - that advertise to
handle a BTX board - that's probably gonna be the fix for me - with
something other than a specific micro-BTX case, I'll have other PS options -
including some of the ultra quiet PS units that are out there.

Worst thing I ever did getting that micro-BTX board and case . . .

"philo" wrote in message

news

Old November 20th 08, 12:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Just a citizen . . .

Tried that - it was a bit quieter until it popped and died - I think an
unmodified PS will be safer - I'm a SW guy, always have parts left over when
I fix something.

I'm finding a few cases that might work - without the 10 drive bays that the
ones from Thermaltake have - typically with an adapter to handle the
microBTX form factor - I should be able to easily get a quiet PS for a
standard (ATX) case - other fish to fry right now - back later.

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
The problem is with the micro BTX case power supply - I KNOW that's where
the noise is coming from - it's a CFX form factor (kinda L-shaped), there
are VERY few of them available - I've already replaced it once and it's
still noisy.

Some of the Thermaltake cases that have a BTX "adapter" would be OK, but
by
the time ya get the case and the adapter and a quiet PS, it's pushing
$250.

I am seeing some other hybrid ATX cases - less expensive - that advertise
handle a BTX board - that's probably gonna be the fix for me - with
something other than a specific micro-BTX case, I'll have other PS
options -
including some of the ultra quiet PS units that are out there.

Worst thing I ever did getting that micro-BTX board and case . . .

snip

Why not just replace the fan in the power supply?

Bill
--
GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

Good Micro ATX case? Justin Homebuilt PC's 8 September 6th 05 11:32 PM
micro atx case té_qui General 0 April 20th 05 03:51 AM
Micro ATX in ATX case? BarryNL Homebuilt PC's 1 December 20th 04 10:10 PM
micro-atx MB on atx case Lucas Overclocking 2 March 28th 04 12:26 AM
Micro-ATX case question SRV Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 22nd 04 08:58 AM