Recovery disk Library Location?

Old September 28th 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Default Recovery disk Library Location?

FWIW, Windows 2000 is 2000 times easier to deal with than Windows XP. I have
never screwed around with the Windows 2000 "upgrade" version sold in stores, and
I recommend that others do not either. Otherwise, there is exactly one and
only one Windows 2000 Pro OEM version, AFIAK. This makes life real easy when
fixing up a system with a Windows 2000 sticker on it... Ben Myers

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:45:28 -0700, Postman delivers
wrote:

Ben Myers wrote :
Finally, just for fun (or possibly more aggravation), call Gateway and ask if
they will sell you recovery/restore CDs. Give them the computer serial
number, which is entirely legit.

FWIW, Dell and HPaq sell their recovery CDs... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:24:02 -0700, Postman delivers
wrote:

The last three computers I have assembled, or put back together have
all shown up with WGA errors.

Since it is almost impossible to secure recover disks with all the
advertising, I have been using several Windows CDs to install the
product listed on the COA with legitimate codes. Now installing with
the COA, I am getting Windows Counterfeit messages doing the updates
because I am using the same disk.

I was able to find a HP recover disk for one of the computers I
assembled from several different computers, not the originals but the
correct ones for that specific model. I have two computers (one
Gateway e-4000) that I cannot give to the school for their
disadvantaged students because of the WGA errors.

In talking to MS, the support person indicated it is the MS policy that
the original disks must be used and not one disk for many computer
systems. Since I almost never get the recovery disks, with the broken
or destroyed computers I rebuild, or piece together, nor do I have a
benefactor that will pay for recovery disks/a new copy of windows I
have a problem.

Is there a location on the net where someone or a group has stored
recovery disks that manufactures no longer have or will ship, so that
they can be secure, when trying to rebuild the computers?

I understand that (WGA) is to prevent Operating System Piracy, but this
is too much and a very recent development.

Maybe it is time for me to choose another endeavor...

Yes, I know there are a number of work arounds for the current and past
versions of (WGA).

JR the Postman

I have and it is not available...

I have also created a MS exception or case number to see if I can find
another solution.

I have several bird dogs working garage sales currently, looking to
acquire every computer OS or recovery disk possible. The Funny part is
the people have lost/miss placed them, or tossed them when they
discarded or upgraded their computers...

I have not been doing this long enough, or am not close enough to the
party donating the systems to ask/plead for the operating system disks.

But education is going to work, and I am going to acquire a collection
of recovery disks. I am using a OEM when possible and have no real
problem accomplishing that type of recover with a COA.

But when I have no recovery partition and no recovery disks, I was
using a non-upgrade/retail disk and that recently has not passed the
(WGA) it always did previously and now I received a new (WGA) error
maybe for using same disk for more than one install, using the COA #
from the computer case.

I am going to look into Linux, the students will not care and I still
enjoy performing this service of getting these tired systems running
again, and placing them into a students home...

JR

Old September 28th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Ben Myers wrote:
FWIW, Windows 2000 is 2000 times easier to deal with than Windows XP.
I have never screwed around with the Windows 2000 "upgrade" version
sold in stores, and I recommend that others do not either.
Otherwise, there is exactly one and only one Windows 2000 Pro OEM
version, AFIAK. This makes life real easy when fixing up a system
with a Windows 2000 sticker on it... Ben Myers

Yes Windows 2000 OEM version is very nice. It doesn't care if there is
another version of Windows or not on the system. Acts like a full
version of Windows. Although I found Windows 2000 doesn't run videos as
smoothly as Windows XP or Windows 98SE does. Drivers can be hard to find
sometimes for Windows 2000 too.

--
Bill

Old October 11th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

It happens that BillW50 formulated :
Ben Myers wrote:
FWIW, Windows 2000 is 2000 times easier to deal with than Windows XP.
I have never screwed around with the Windows 2000 "upgrade" version
sold in stores, and I recommend that others do not either.
Otherwise, there is exactly one and only one Windows 2000 Pro OEM
version, AFIAK. This makes life real easy when fixing up a system
with a Windows 2000 sticker on it... Ben Myers

Yes Windows 2000 OEM version is very nice. It doesn't care if there is
another version of Windows or not on the system. Acts like a full version of
Windows. Although I found Windows 2000 doesn't run videos as smoothly as
Windows XP or Windows 98SE does. Drivers can be hard to find sometimes for
Windows 2000 too.

Win2k, COA stickers are always a pleasure to see afixed to a computer
case needing attention or reconstruction...

JR the postman

--
Mesnews is a decent yEnc capable newsreader - www.mesnews.net