Recovery disk Library Location?

Old September 25th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

Default Recovery disk Library Location?

The last three computers I have assembled, or put back together have
all shown up with WGA errors.

Since it is almost impossible to secure recover disks with all the
advertising, I have been using several Windows CDs to install the
product listed on the COA with legitimate codes. Now installing with
the COA, I am getting Windows Counterfeit messages doing the updates
because I am using the same disk.

I was able to find a HP recover disk for one of the computers I
assembled from several different computers, not the originals but the
correct ones for that specific model. I have two computers (one
Gateway e-4000) that I cannot give to the school for their
disadvantaged students because of the WGA errors.

In talking to MS, the support person indicated it is the MS policy that
the original disks must be used and not one disk for many computer
systems. Since I almost never get the recovery disks, with the broken
or destroyed computers I rebuild, or piece together, nor do I have a
benefactor that will pay for recovery disks/a new copy of windows I
have a problem.

Is there a location on the net where someone or a group has stored
recovery disks that manufactures no longer have or will ship, so that
they can be secure, when trying to rebuild the computers?

I understand that (WGA) is to prevent Operating System Piracy, but this
is too much and a very recent development.

Maybe it is time for me to choose another endeavor...

Yes, I know there are a number of work arounds for the current and past
versions of (WGA).

JR the Postman

--
Mesnews is a decent yEnc capable newsreader - www.mesnews.net

Old September 25th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

It is perfectly legal to buy a new system nowadays and create restore CDs from
the "recovery" partition to be used if the hard drive croaks, yet these CDs do
not have the genuine Microsoft hologram that marks an original, which is all
Microsoft claims you can use. Go figure.

As best as I can tell, Microsoft has several different algorithms for validating
the COA, and these vary with the type of CD. Just for XP Home, there are
"upgrade", OEM, non-upgrade (install from scratch), and corporate versions. Same
with XP Pro and XP Media Center Edition. The upgrade version requires that you
have an older Windows CD, 98, ME, or 2000, IIRC. You have to use an
installation CD that matches the type of COA with the system, or the software is
labelled counterfeit. If the COA has already been tracked and entered into the
Microsoft data base, it can be deemed counterfeit, and you have to call them on
the phone and request a Gatesian (not papal) dispensation, explaining what
happened, e.g. hard drive replacement, motherboard replacement, reinstall due to
virus infestation, etc. You will also be given a new COA to enter into the
system by the person in India (usually) on the other end of the phone line.

There are arguments in other usenet groups as to whether an OEM CD from one
brand name can be used with another brand's OEM COA sticker. For example, can
a Dell OEM "recovery" CD (it's actually a full standard Windows XP install) be
used with a Gateway and not end up with the counterfeit message.

name of tracking down all those dastardly software pirates.

Have you considered loading up systems with something like Ubuntu Linux? No
license fee. No COA. Nobody and no software to harrass you. Relatively easy
installation process with fewer reboots than a Windows XP
install-and-update-all-the-patches. Currently there is equivalent software for
Office (except Access), Photoshop, various media players, and all manner of
other stuff. All included on the distribution CDs. You can download for free
and burn your own CDs. There are other comparable variations of Linux, too...
Ben Myers

Old September 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

One more thing: Except for illegal web sites run by and for hackers and
crackers, you won't find any system restore CDs out here on the web.
Contractually, Microsoft prohibits their OEMs from making CDs available, and
would have any OEM posting a restore CD on the net in court real fast.

Some system restore CDs are Windows install CDs, plain and simple, and they
generally require drivers, either from another CD shipped with the computer or
downloaded from the web. Others use another process (restoring a Ghost image,
for example) to restore the CD to its factory state... Ben Myers

Old September 26th 06, 01:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Finally, just for fun (or possibly more aggravation), call Gateway and ask if
they will sell you recovery/restore CDs. Give them the computer serial number,
which is entirely legit.

FWIW, Dell and HPaq sell their recovery CDs... Ben Myers

Old September 26th 06, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Ben Myers wrote:
[snip]
Have you considered loading up systems with something like Ubuntu
Linux? No license fee. No COA. Nobody and no software to
harrass you. Relatively easy installation process with fewer reboots
than a Windows XP install-and-update-all-the-patches. Currently
there is equivalent software for Office (except Access), Photoshop,
various media players, and all manner of other stuff. All included
on the distribution CDs. You can download for free and burn your
own CDs. There are other comparable variations of Linux, too... Ben
Myers

When will people realize that the commercial world doesn't support
Linux! I first heard of Linux back around '95 and today I still won't
touch it. As everything I buy, from flight simulators, VoIP, cameras, IM
software, etc. only come with Windows software and rarely with Mac
crippled versions. There are no Linux versions for any of this stuff.
Why the hell would someone want to run Linux for? Why would you want to
dumb your computer down to a glorified PDA for? I just don't get it?

--
Bill

Old September 26th 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Ben Myers wrote:
One more thing: Except for illegal web sites run by and for hackers
and crackers, you won't find any system restore CDs out here on the
web. Contractually, Microsoft prohibits their OEMs from making CDs
available, and would have any OEM posting a restore CD on the net in
court real fast.

Some system restore CDs are Windows install CDs, plain and simple,
and they generally require drivers, either from another CD shipped
with the computer or downloaded from the web. Others use another
process (restoring a Ghost image, for example) to restore the CD to
its factory state... Ben Myers

Nonsense you can find hard to find recovery disc at places like:

http://www.gennersales.co.uk/

--
Bill

Old September 26th 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Tweek

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

What is happening is the COA keys on most brand name computers are not
activateable (is that a word?) The OEM copy of windows XP whether it is a
standalone CD or a set of recovery cd's is tied to the bios and doesn't need
to be activated. If you were to use a key finder on several different
machines of the same model, they would have the same key (which also cannot
be activated). I think what was happening is people knew that the OEM key
hadn't been used and repair shops were using those keys to install pirated
copies of windows. I don't know when they started this but if you use an OEM
XP cd with the COA on a brand name computer, it will accept it during
install but you most likely won't be able to activate it. One exception I
have found is emachines. Occasionally I will have to replace a bad board
with a similar aftermarket board. As soon as it boots to windows it says it
must be activated. The first time it will reject it because of the common
key that is embedded in the restore cd's. So far the key on the COA
activates every time.

Old September 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Thnak you for the reminder that the EU and the US are different places. All
they have in common is one letter in the abbreviation. Microsoft has been
forced to do business VERY differently in the EU, where there is still
governmental concern for the rights of individuals compared to megacorporations.
It does not surprise me that recovery CDs would be available in Europe.

Because the US government is extremely friendly to businesses, to put it mildly,
Microsoft twists everyone's testes here. Or tits. Whichever. And recovery
CDs are not available in the general marketplace except from the name brand
manufacturer, provided one whines loudly enough.

What I stated was US-centric, because I have been back here for the last 22
years.

I would not mind if someone proved me wrong by posting the URL of a
US(!!!)-based web site that sells XP recovery CDs legally at a price much less
than a full-fledged store copy of XPee. I would be up near the front of the
line, to fill out the collection I already have... Ben Myers

Old September 27th 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Kevin Childers

"BillW50" wrote in message
. com...
Ben Myers wrote:
[snip]
[...]

I think you should take another look around at this issue. There are
numerous alternatives to the MS series of offerings as well as quite a few
windows based apps being ported over to other O/Ss. Some of the biggest
pushes to this have been the licensing system used by MS as well as cost and
support. Google a bit on the web and you can find an alternative to MS for
just about any app with a very similar interface.