CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Old July 5th 12, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Default CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Is the CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply a good quality power
supply? Thank you in advance for any help.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Old July 6th 12, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

On Jul 5, 9:17*am, Daniel Prince wrote:
Is the CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply a good quality power supply?

Yes, according to JonnyGuru.com, one of the best websites for power
supply reviews:

430W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=214

Some of the few other websites that do good power supply reviews:

www.HardOCP.com
www.HardwareSecrets.com
www.SilentPCreview.com
www.overclockers.com
www.TomsHardware.com
www.XbitLabs.com

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

Old July 6th 12, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Loony

On 06/07/2012 07:14, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:17 am, Daniel wrote:
Is the CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply a good quality power supply?

Yes, according to JonnyGuru.com, one of the best websites for power
supply reviews:

430W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=214

Some of the few other websites that do good power supply reviews:

www.HardOCP.com
www.HardwareSecrets.com
www.SilentPCreview.com
www.overclockers.com
www.TomsHardware.com
www.XbitLabs.com

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

I use the Corsair and it gives great service.

PC Power and Cooling's 600w Silencer === stay away from it. I bought
one and it went belly up after about a one year guarantee.
Old July 6th 12, 09:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 7/5/2012 11:14 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

Antec PSUs are good? Mine didn't last long in my personal experiences:
-SL400 (ATX12V; 400 watts; 80mm and 92mm fans) = 9/16/2003 - 11/25/2005
= over 2 years.
-SmartPower SP-350 PSU (350 watts) = 7/29/2006 - 5/14/2007 = almost a year!
-Basiq 500 Watt ATX (BP500U) = 1/23/2010 - 10/1/2010 (noisy dusty fan
already!) = 9 months (not dead, but annoying)

So far, my old SeaSonic PSU 600 watts PSU from 6/30/2006 still works as
of today! I have a Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC in my other PC since
12/20/2010. I hope it will last a very long time too. Supposedly, this
one is very good. We'll see!
--
"There are things in the Universe billions of years older than either of
our races. They are vast, timeless, and if they are aware of us at all,
Old July 6th 12, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

Loony wrote:
On 06/07/2012 07:14, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Some of the few other websites that do good power supply reviews:

www.HardOCP.com
www.HardwareSecrets.com
www.SilentPCreview.com
www.overclockers.com
www.TomsHardware.com
www.XbitLabs.com

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

I use the Corsair and it gives great service.

PC Power and Cooling's 600w Silencer === stay away from it. I bought
one and it went belly up after about a one year guarantee.

I don't know which 600W Silencer you had, but at least one of them was
built by Seasonic, the same company that manufactures most of the
Corsairs. Here's a review of a 600W Silencer:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=263

PCP&C has also gotten its power supplies from Fortron-Source/Sparkle,
Zippy/Emacs, and Win-tact.
Old July 6th 12, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

Ant wrote:

On 7/5/2012 11:14 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

Antec PSUs are good? Mine didn't last long in my personal experiences:
-SL400 (ATX12V; 400 watts; 80mm and 92mm fans) = 9/16/2003 - 11/25/2005
= over 2 years.
-SmartPower SP-350 PSU (350 watts) = 7/29/2006 - 5/14/2007 = almost a year!
-Basiq 500 Watt ATX (BP500U) = 1/23/2010 - 10/1/2010 (noisy dusty fan
already!) = 9 months (not dead, but annoying)

So far, my old SeaSonic PSU 600 watts PSU from 6/30/2006 still works as
of today! I have a Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC in my other PC since
12/20/2010. I hope it will last a very long time too. Supposedly, this
one is very good. We'll see!

The old Antec SL400, SmartPower, and TruePower models were
manufactured by Channel Well Technology (CWT). They were all good but
were made with infamous Fuhjyyu electrolytic capacitors. Do a search
for "Fuhjyyu syndrome" to see what I mean. Fuhjyyu is one of the
worst brands of capacitors, and they're packed tight and are so skinny
that it's hard to replace them with good brands. Another problem in
the older Antecs is capacitors in the +5V standby circuit, and the
design is so bad that when its caps fail, they can cause high voltage
that damages motherboards. The caps in that circuit may be Fuhjyyu,
Teapo, Koshin, or AsiaX, all considered bad brands.

The 500W Antec Basiq is made by Fortron-Source Power/Sparkle, and I
think its fan speed is kept high (minimum voltage going to it is 6V)
because those power supplies were originally designed for a big fan on
top, and the small 80mm fan just doesn't cool as well. The only
other bad thing about these PSUs is their CapXon brand capacitors,
which are also found in lots of LCD TVs and monitors, but at least in
the Basiq those caps aren't too crowded. Antec also sells a 550W
Basiq that's not just rated for 50W more but is a completely different
design and from a different company, Delta, which also produces some
other Antec lines, including their premium Signature models. I think
Antec's other current suppliers are Seasonic and Channel Well, and
this time the Channel Wells have good capacitors in them.

Old July 7th 12, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 7/6/2012 12:40 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

[...]

So Antec is better now? I had a Fortron FSP650-80GLC PSU (650 watts)
that lasted from 5/14/2007 to 12/5/2009.
--
"If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts
either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot
Old July 9th 12, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

Ant wrote:

So Antec is better now? I had a Fortron FSP650-80GLC PSU (650 watts)
that lasted from 5/14/2007 to 12/5/2009.

They should be better now, but as with almost all brands of PSUs, many
models still contain low quality capacitors from companies like Teapo,
CapXon, and OST.

Old July 9th 12, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 7/8/2012 6:05 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

So Antec is better now? I had a Fortron FSP650-80GLC PSU (650 watts)
that lasted from 5/14/2007 to 12/5/2009.

They should be better now, but as with almost all brands of PSUs, many
models still contain low quality capacitors from companies like Teapo,
CapXon, and OST.

How does one determine which models use low quality capacitors?
--
"Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as he stepped on an ant.
| |o o| |
Old July 10th 12, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

Ant wrote:
On 7/8/2012 6:05 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

with almost all brands of PSUs, many models still contain low quality
capacitors from companies like Teapo, CapXon, and OST.

How does one determine which models use low quality capacitors?

Either look into the PSU (can often read the capacitor markings
through the fan opening) or rely on reviews that include dissections
of the insides, like XbitLabs.com, HardOCP.com, SilentPCreview.com,
HardwareSecrets.com, Anandtech.com, JonnyGuru.com, and
Overclockers.com. Basically you want the low voltage capacitors to be
Japanese (Nippon Chemicon, United Chemicon, Rubycon, Nichicon,
Panasonic/Matsu****a, Sanyo/Sun) or Samxon. BadCaps.net forums has a
list of good and bad brands.