KVM switch for gaming?

Old January 12th 04, 06:51 PM
zim

Default KVM switch for gaming?

Hello Group. Thanks to Kony for answering my RAM question.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a KVM switch that won't interfere
with frame rates or video quality. I've been doing research but wondered if
anyone knew off the bat.

Thanks,

pk

Old January 12th 04, 07:32 PM
kony

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:51:00 GMT, "zim" wrote:

Hello Group. Thanks to Kony for answering my RAM question.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a KVM switch that won't interfere
with frame rates or video quality. I've been doing research but wondered if
anyone knew off the bat.

Thanks,

pk

None of them interfere with frame rates.

As for quality, gaming is the one area where a poor KVM might be a
bonus, kinda like free FSAA, but I suppose ghosting or color bleeding
wouldn't be too good.

You might check the specs for the KVM, what the supported resolution
and refresh is... don't just pick one that supports the mode you want
to run, but the highest spec. If it doesn't have integrated cables
(most don't) then the cables will likely make the most difference.
Cables only as long as necessary, with individual coax (integrated
within the single sheath) is a lot better at preserving quality.

You can read customer reviews of a few he
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...st&catalog=143

Old January 12th 04, 07:36 PM
Todd H.

"zim" writes:
Hello Group. Thanks to Kony for answering my RAM question.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a KVM switch that won't interfere
with frame rates or video quality. I've been doing research but wondered if
anyone knew off the bat.

KVM switches being hardware thingees won't affect framerates.

Whether they affect quality is often a strong function of the cabling
used. If you're running at resolutions in excess of 1024x768 and want
to ensure the lowest loss possible, I strongly recommend KVM cables
that feature co-axial conductors for the RGB signals. Belkin markets
these as "high integrity cables" and they are separate from their
Gold series. The cost adder really isn't that much.

Keep those cable lengths as short as possible too.

I've had great luck with my Belkin OmniView SE 4-port KVM.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/