Switch to DVD backup media from CD?

Old June 26th 05, 09:46 PM
J. Clarke

David Lesher wrote:

Besides DVD damage, esp. over time, my big fear is drive
interchangeability.

Will the DVD I burn on a given drive be readable on other hardware
once the first drive has gone to Burner Heaven?

The likelihood that it will be readable on another drive is in the same
ballpark as the likelihood that a diskette written in one drive will be
readable in another--usually it works, every once in a while you get a
misaligned drive that produces disks only readable in that drive or reads
only disks produced in that drive.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old June 30th 05, 07:25 PM
Pan

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:18:12 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

David Lesher wrote in message

Besides DVD damage, esp. over time, my big fear is drive interchangeability.

Will the DVD I burn on a given drive be readable on other
hardware once the first drive has gone to Burner Heaven?

Not hard to check that just after its been burnt.

Not at all, in fact I personally run a disk scan in another drive directly
after burning. I have had CD's that seemed to write perfectly and could
be read from the same drive, but were totally un-readable in another
drive. In fact, this has even happened to me on a temporary basis with two
known drives.

Regards,

Pan