Best configuration of drives?

Old May 8th 04, 01:36 PM
GTS

Default Best configuration of drives?

At present I have an ATA133 on IDE 1 and two optical drives on IDE2.
Want to add a second ATA133, but I have always been led to believe it is
best for speed not to have anything sharing with a HDD. So what is the best
arrangement? HDD 1 & 2 on IDE1, or HDD as master on IDE 1 & 2 and the
opticals as slaves?
TIA

Old May 10th 04, 02:46 AM
Ron Reaugh

"GTS" wrote in message
At present I have an ATA133 on IDE 1 and two optical drives on IDE2.
Want to add a second ATA133, but I have always been led to believe it is
best for speed not to have anything sharing with a HDD. So what is the

best
arrangement? HDD 1 & 2 on IDE1, or HDD as master on IDE 1 & 2 and the
opticals as slaves?

The 2nd HDs as master and opticals as slaves unless one of the opticals is
illbehaved.

Old May 10th 04, 02:47 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Slug" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:13:50 -0400, Toshi1873
wrote:

Cable A: HDD + optical
Cable B: HDD + optical

That would be a cabling nightmare. In fact it is practically
impossible to do due to the physical placement of the drives in the
case. HDD's usually go in the bottom of the case in 3 1/4" brackets
and cdrom drives in the top of the case in 51/2" brackets. How are you
going to cable all those drives using your configuration without
moving the HDD's to the top of the case?

So you're gonna pack the HDs next to each other where they'll burn each
other up???
The cabling problem is tractable.

Personally, I put my two
HDD's on primary IDE as master and slave and then put my DVD and CDRW
drives on the secondary IDE as master/slave. I expect if there is a
perfromance hit, and I do emphasize "if", it is negligible.

That is likely true for most cases.

Old May 11th 04, 01:34 AM
Bob

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:59:15 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

Actually, it can be problematic when you access the opt. drive
that is on the same cable with the source drive while burning.

Why?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Old May 11th 04, 02:36 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Bob" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:59:15 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" wrote:

Actually, it can be problematic when you access the opt. drive
that is on the same cable with the source drive while burning.

Why?

Because it may block the source drive for several seconds, spinning-up
the motor/disk to speed and seeking to the desired data and transfer.

StarTech HD Racks Tim Homebuilt PC's 7 February 23rd 05 03:59 AM
Best practice for upgrading drives on 2810SA? [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 4 January 30th 05 03:57 AM
Server Raid Ultra 160 Won't Recognize New Drives. Help. Rick B. General Hardware 9 June 11th 04 09:43 PM
Is SATA currently unreliable? Rita Ä Berkowitz Storage (alternative) 51 May 7th 04 06:34 PM
Network File Server Bob Storage (alternative) 37 May 4th 04 09:07 PM