Swapping Bezels on a notebook dvd drive

Old September 21st 04, 06:37 PM
Greg

Default Swapping Bezels on a notebook dvd drive

I am looking at replacing the dvd-cdrw in my I8600 for a NEC +/- R/RW DVD.
Is it pretty easy to take off the Dell bezel and put it on the NEC drive??

Old September 21st 04, 10:07 PM
Dick Silk

"Greg" wrote in message
I am looking at replacing the dvd-cdrw in my I8600 for a NEC +/- R/RW DVD.
Is it pretty easy to take off the Dell bezel and put it on the NEC
drive??

Let us know once you've accomplished your objective :-)

Most Dell computers are amazingly easy to disassemble. This is a design
mandate due to the fact that most troubleshooting is done over the phone
with barely trained techs on one end and complete idio... (um, customers...)
on the other.

Old September 22nd 04, 01:50 PM
Greg

I did some looking and I got it popped off with no problem. Feeling
confident, I went ahead and took the drive out of the plastic case. Piece of
cake. I found an OEM NEC Dual Layer drive that does + and - as well..
Looking at it, it should fit just fine.

Old September 24th 04, 02:11 AM
Bill Joy

Could you describe how to do that?

I've been looking at the drive in my 8600. The thing that gives me pause
are the two metal clips that are somewhat U-shaped on top. (I guess they
provide grounding and maybe provide tension to keep the drive from falling
out.) I don't see how they can be removed so as to uncouple the drive from
Dell adapter.