Overclocked Barton 2500 PCI question

Old December 7th 03, 04:07 AM
John A

Default Overclocked Barton 2500 PCI question

My system:
AMD XP 2500 Barton unlocked
Shuttle AN35N Ultra
2 Geil 256M PC3200
Maxtor 120G ata/133
LiteOn LDW-401S
Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe

I have been running this system fine for months now, with the frequency
increased from 166MHZ to 200MHZ and keeping the multiplier at 11. I recently
tracked down a problem when capturing Video with my Winfast card where the
card video freezes and the Winfast driver gets an error. After
refreshing/updating Winfast drivers it still failed. I found that if I
reduce my frequency back down to 166 (and bump up my multiplier to 12.5),
the driver error on my Winfast card goes away. I repeated this several times
to convince myself it was the FSB frequency boost. My question is related to
the PCI bus speed. When I bump up my frequency from 166 to 200, am I running
the PCI bus at a higher frequency than it is "spec'ed" to? Said another way,
am I asking more from my PCI devices than they have been designed to
deliver? Are there some motherboards that will fix the PCI frequency while
allowing adjustment of FSB? I didnt see any mention of being able to do this
with the AN35N.

--
John A

Old December 7th 03, 05:10 AM
IC

John A wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are MB's that will fix the PCI bus frequency, and yours is
one of them. The nForce2 chipset locks the PCI bus at 33 MHz no matter
what the FSB is (as well as the AGP bus which can be adjusted in the
BIOS, but otherwise stays at 66 MHz unless you change it).

To fix your problem, increase the core voltage and/or DIMM voltage till
you have a stable system.

Old December 7th 03, 05:49 AM
Frank Hagan

"John A" wrote in message
[...]

The AN35N locks AGP and PCI frequencies. I'm running my XP2500 at default
voltage, but I had to bump my RAM voltage up to 2.6v to get stable. (no-name
"mystery memory" ;-)

Shuttle AN35N
XP2500 Barton FSB210 x 10.5 (2200MHz) @ default voltage

512MB PC3200 set at 100%
WIN XP Pro SP1
Antec SX-835
Vantec Aeroflow 7040 w/ Arctic Silver Ceramique
LiteOn 48x24x48
Maxtor 80GB / Maxtor 40GB

Sony FD

Zip 250 USB (external)
Mad Dog GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x
On Board LAN and AC'97 sound
USR 56k voice fax modem
2 80mm exhaust fans

1 80mm side panel intake
System 32C / CPU 44C (Prime95 stress test)/ room temp 77F

FRH

Old December 7th 03, 02:32 PM
Frank Hagan

"Frank Hagan" wrote in message
ink.net...

"John A" wrote in message
[...]

Correction :-( Had to boost to 1.7v CPU, memory at default.

FRH

Old December 7th 03, 05:09 PM
John A

"John A" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. As you can probably tell, I am new to the overclocking
world. Downloading a running Prime95 stress test was big help. Yes, I was
getting a failure when overclocking with default voltages. Its amazing my
system was running as long as it did before I stumbled onto this problem.
Prime95 detected it after approximately 5 minutes. After doing some
experimenting, I also found that I needed to boost CPU to 1.7v to run
reliably at 200x11. I didnt have to play with memory voltages. I am running
stock AMD fan plus a side case fan blowing in (and power supply fan blowing
out). Current temps running prime95 a System 35C/ CPU 48C.

--
John A

Old December 7th 03, 06:07 PM
Frank Hagan

"John A" wrote in message
[...]

If your side intake fan doesn't blow directly on the HSF you can duct the
airflow to the HSF and drop a couple of degrees off your CPU temp. It
doesn't have to be fancy. Mine is cardboard and scotch tape. I did it
because the side intake on my Antec SX835 was blowing under the AGP card and
doing nothing for the HSF. It's essentially a square cardboard box aimed up
at about 45 or 50 degrees toward the HSF. Held on the side panel and
together by scotch tape ;-)

FRH

Old December 7th 03, 07:22 PM
Frank Hagan

"Ed" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:07:13 GMT, "Frank Hagan"
wrote:

at about 45 or 50 degrees toward the HSF. Held on the side panel and
together by scotch tape ;-)

FRH

Real men use Duct Tape. :-)
Ed

LOL! ROTF!

FRH

Old December 8th 03, 12:25 AM
~misfit~

wrote:

at about 45 or 50 degrees toward the HSF. Held on the side panel and
together by scotch tape ;-)

FRH

Real men use Duct Tape. :-)

Only for sexual purposes. :-) For PC stuff they use hot-glue.
--
~misfit~

---