What is the best HDD in terms of Reliability/cost?

Old July 5th 05, 07:20 AM
kopn

Thanks for your reply.
What is POH?

Old July 5th 05, 07:30 AM
kopn

Thanks for your reply.
In Russia Seagate costs much more than other brands.
What is the cheapest way (in terms of 1 mb) of back up?

Old July 5th 05, 07:55 AM
CWatters

"kopn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply.
If I ASSUMEd that my drive was going to fail tomorrow I would use
mirror drives because I want to retain files which I created today.

I wouldn't. That way you only get one extra copy.

Why not use a program like Ghost to do a full image backup every night? You
could probably fit a weeks worth of backups on the same drive.

Old July 5th 05, 09:04 AM
Ron Reaugh

"kopn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply.
If I ASSUMEd that my drive was going to fail tomorrow I would use
mirror drives because I want to retain files which I created today.

Mirroring protects against a single drive failure and the files created in
some time period since the last backup. Single drive failure is NOT the
ONLY cause of data loss. Fire, theft, malicious or buggy SW etc. are all
threats.

Mirroring does NOT take the place of backup.

Old July 5th 05, 09:05 AM
Ron Reaugh

"kopn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply.
In Russia Seagate costs much more than other brands.
What is the cheapest way (in terms of 1 mb) of back up?

Big removable [S]ATA HDs are the best solution generally. Keep it off site.

Old July 5th 05, 09:51 AM
Rod Speed

kopn wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for your replies.
What is the cheapest (in terms of 1 mb) way to back up?

Really depends on what you want to backup.

Lot to be said for DVD now, but if you want to do full backups of
everything, not just what you will slash your wrists if you lose, an
external hard drive is a lot easier to use and can be fully automated.
Much more expensive than DVDs tho so it can make a lot of sense
to just backup what matters to DVD and accept the fact that you
will have to do a full reinstall if the hard drive dies etc.

Old July 5th 05, 09:53 AM
Rod Speed

kopn wrote in message
oups.com...

What is POH?

Power On Hours, how long its been powered up for.

Old July 5th 05, 09:56 AM
Rod Speed

Ron Reaugh wrote in message
kopn wrote

In Russia Seagate costs much more than other brands.
What is the cheapest way (in terms of 1 mb) of back up?

Big removable [S]ATA HDs are the best solution generally.

Lousy value compared with DVD if the data will fit on a couple of DVDs

Keep it off site.

Easier and safer with DVDs.

Old July 5th 05, 10:56 AM
kopn

Thanks for your reply.
I would have to remember what files and folder I backed up last time,
what files and folders have changed and what files and folders have
been created since then, find them and copy to a DVD to make a new back
up. This is a time consuming task.
Internal oem drives are less expensive than an external hard drive.
What do you think about other HDD brands (Samsung...) than the
mentioned?

Old July 5th 05, 11:09 AM
kopn

Thanks for your reply.
Does Ghost compress 7 times? Why to fit a weeks worth of backups on the
same drive, why to keep 7 copies of the same drive?