Strange performance problem

Old February 5th 05, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,it.comp.hardware.overclock
Daniel

Default Strange performance problem

Hi,
I have 2 seperate boot partitions on my PC, both have Windows XP pro
installed with exactly the same setup. Both have all the same patches etc
applied, and are running the same programs. Both have exactly the same
drivers for everything.

PC is an athlon xp 3200+, geforce 6800gt (agp), 512mb dual channel ram, abit
an7 motherboard (nforce2).

I have a weird problem, where in one partition, everything runs fine - I
have all the geforce settings to absolute maximum, and any game runs
perfectly - such as pro evo soccer 4, knights of the old republic etc.

In the other partition, I have a lot of slowdown and jerkiness in these
games. The games have the same performance options set up - they are
installed in the same folder on a seperate partition, so they share the same
files from both operating systems.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this in the 2nd partition -
it has to be Windows related, since it does work in the other partition, but
other than the drivers, geforce setup and game settings, I can't really
think of anything to try changing...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Old February 5th 05, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,it.comp.hardware.overclock
Dave

"Daniel" wrote in message
[...]

The second boot partition is on a much slower part of the HD.

How many partitions do you have? How are they organized?

E.G.

WinXP1 10GB
Games 140GB
WinXP2 10GB

on a 160GB HD?

Have you defragged?

REM Insert insults he-

REM End insults.

Work it out!

Dave

Old February 5th 05, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,it.comp.hardware.overclock
Daniel

The partitions are 10GB (xp1) 10GB (xp2) then 60GB (storage/games) which are
on 2x western digital 7200rpm 8MB cache hard drives, arranged in a RAID 0
array, using a highpoint raid card.

Hard disk performance is the same on both partitions, when the games slow
down, it is not reading from the hard disk, it has already loaded - it is
simply the frame rate slowing down.

Old February 5th 05, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,it.comp.hardware.overclock
JAD

frame rate slowing down

proportional to your 'video card'

Old February 5th 05, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,it.comp.hardware.overclock
Tom L

It's just a thought, but have the scratch pads might be
different in different disks in each of the game programs.
For example, the faster program may have scratch files in
two disks, but the slower program may have scratch files in
only one disk.

Tom

Old February 6th 05, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
YanquiDawg

Check your pagefile. It may be too small on one partition.

frame rate slowing down