Dell PS question

Old November 11th 04, 07:01 PM
pikeman

Default Dell PS question

I'm going to help someone salvage their Dell and am wondering if the
power supply is nonstandard? It was built within the last year.
I know the case is NFG, MB is already shot. Expect to salvage CPU,
memory, HD, video card and CDROM.
Thanks!

Old November 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Mike Walsh

Dell uses a non-standard ATX power plug, this making both the power supply and motherboard proprietary.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old November 12th 04, 12:28 AM
Pen

Not true for any machine built in the last 3 years.
Any machine a year old has a standard supply.

Old November 12th 04, 06:39 AM
ric

do_not_spam_me wrote:

I'm going to help someone salvage their Dell and am wondering if the
power supply is nonstandard? It was built within the last year.
I know the case is NFG, MB is already shot. Expect to salvage CPU,
memory, HD, video card and CDROM.

It depends on the Dell. If you see any blue wires with white stripes
running down them on a separate 6-pin connector, then it's definitely
nonstandard, despite the 20-pin connector being identical (but wired
very differently, and using it with a standard ATX motherboard will
result in some direct shorts). The best thing to do is find the
standard ATX pinout and compare the color of each wire to the
corresponding one on the Dell connector.

Those nonstandard Dells are worth something on Ebay, and they're very
good supplies that can put out more power than most with the same
ratings.

For a long while Astec was building PSUs for Dell. GREAT PSUs, but they
were quite proprietary.

Old November 12th 04, 05:33 PM
kony

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:53:32 GMT, Mike Walsh
wrote:

The ones I am familiar with have had bad power supplies or bad motherboards and were a few years old. I am glad to hear that Dell has changed their ways.

ON average their power supplies were pretty good, they often
used LiteOn or PC Power & Cooling.
Old November 12th 04, 10:07 PM
pikeman

Sad ending.
Her husband talked her into paying Dell $139 for a new MB!
We could have bought a great new MB, decent case, low-end vid card,
and PS for less than that.
Oh well - her money, her PC.