Not really a Dell question, but......

Old October 16th 03, 08:55 PM
wpj

Default Not really a Dell question, but......

Hi,
I am the proud owner of a Dell laptop.
I also work on a desktop which has ISDN connection to WWW. Can I simply
plug the connection into my Dell and set up as if it is a new machine? I
know it can't be that simple, but perhaps you knowledgeable folk will be
sypathetic to this silver surfer.
Many thanx

--
[Always finish what you have starte
Warren P Jones

Old October 16th 03, 09:45 PM
Craig

wpj wrote:
Hi,
I am the proud owner of a Dell laptop.
I also work on a desktop which has ISDN connection to WWW. Can I simply
plug the connection into my Dell and set up as if it is a new machine? I
know it can't be that simple, but perhaps you knowledgeable folk will be
sypathetic to this silver surfer.
Many thanx

Yeah, pretty much. If the work laptop is using a static IP address, you
will need to set up your laptop to match it.

What OSes?

Old October 16th 03, 09:51 PM
Quaoar

wpj wrote:
Hi,
I am the proud owner of a Dell laptop.
I also work on a desktop which has ISDN connection to WWW. Can I
simply plug the connection into my Dell and set up as if it is a new
machine? I know it can't be that simple, but perhaps you
knowledgeable folk will be sypathetic to this silver surfer.
Many thanx

Essentially yes. You will have to have the essentials of whatever setup
(userID, password, etc) that the ISP requires. Buy a router, and have
both connected at the same time.

Old October 16th 03, 10:12 PM
goop

yup. the goodwill store here has oodles and oodles of them for ~$10 USD or
so. good deal considering finding an isdn router in a brick and mortar
store these days is next to impossible..

Old October 17th 03, 04:31 PM
Christopher Muto

is your isdn modem an external device, a box that sits on your desk? or is
it internal to the desktop with the phone line running directly into the
desktop?

if it is external then you can share the internet connection by networking
the laptop and the desktop with a router.

if it is internal then you can implement internet connection sharing and use
the internet connection on the laptop via the desktop computer (when powered
on).

check out this page and click on 'step by step' for a fast and clear
introduction to what you are asking about...
http://linksys.com/edu/

Old October 18th 03, 07:43 PM
wpj

"Craig" wrote in message
wpj wrote:
Hi,
I am the proud owner of a Dell laptop.
I also work on a desktop which has ISDN connection to WWW. Can I simply
plug the connection into my Dell and set up as if it is a new machine?

know it can't be that simple, but perhaps you knowledgeable folk will be
sypathetic to this silver surfer.
Many thanx

Yeah, pretty much. If the work laptop is using a static IP address, you
will need to set up your laptop to match it.

What OSes?

Using WinXP Pro

Does Dell make its own motherboards? Robert Hancock Asus Motherboards 74 January 11th 05 01:17 AM
5 year old Dell XPST500 Eddy Long Cdr 1 December 7th 04 04:56 PM
Dell Dimension 8200- Random Artifacts & characters on Dell splash screen?? James Homebuilt PC's 4 December 6th 04 06:46 PM
Dell PS question pikeman General 8 November 12th 04 10:07 PM
25% OFF ALL DELL ORDERS THROUGH ME! JUST CONTACT ME TO SET IT UP! I get a great discount so I'm offering all DELL orders at 25% off. All you have to do is find out what you want, and contact me. Once your payment is recieved I will give you your of BassArt32 Homebuilt PC's 1 October 13th 04 11:41 AM