PL 5500 w/SA 3200 -> Drives don't show Online Status

Old December 8th 04, 08:14 PM
Allistah

Default PL 5500 w/SA 3200 -> Drives don't show Online Status

I was hoping someone could help me figure out this problem.

I have a Proliant 5500 with a Smart Array 3200. I have three newer style
36gb drives (not the ones with the card edge connector on the back) in a
raid 5 array. I have installed WinSrv 2k3 to the array and everything seems
to be going fine except for the "Online" drive LEDs on the drives. They
never come on, ever. Don't flicker, flash, nothing. I have the latest
firmware on the 3200 (4.50 A) and have updated the firmware on the drives to
the latest version using the Firmware v7.10 CD.

Am I correct in thinking that the "Online" LEDs on each drive should be on
once it is properly joined to a raid array? Like I said, it seems to work
fine, the green arrows on all three drives flash when there is disk access.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I would appreciate any
information anyone might have for me.

Thanks!

-Allistah

Old December 9th 04, 02:50 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Hello Allistah,

I believe the solution to your "problem" is that you dont have the storage
foundation agents running. What you need to do is DL the Proliant Support
Paq for W2k3 for the PL5500. This will install a whole lot of groovy things,
including the foundation agents.

The foundation agents will also notify you of predictive failures (fans,
CPU's, Hdd's) and if there is any warranty left on your server, HP will
cross ship replacements for free. All you have to do is send the dying/dead
device back, and there is no cost to you.

DL the PSP, install and reboot. Let us know how it goes.

- LC