2x8800 Driving 4 monitors

Old March 15th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Makhno

Default 2x8800 Driving 4 monitors

Hello there,
We're thinking of using a machine equipped with 2 8800GTX graphics cards
to drive 4 monitors; 2 per card.
I wondered if anybody has experience of doing this? Not just Windows
desktop but 3D graphics (OpenGL) too.

Thanks
Old March 15th 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Makhno wrote:
Hello there,
We're thinking of using a machine equipped with 2 8800GTX graphics cards
to drive 4 monitors; 2 per card.
I wondered if anybody has experience of doing this? Not just Windows
desktop but 3D graphics (OpenGL) too.

Thanks

That's not a complex set-up, no problems unless you skimp on the other
required items such as robust power supply, proper high end mobo and
CPU. Many OpenGL titles will happily configure to three 1280x1024
screens, and the other can be left blank or a desktop. With small
futzing you can use all 4 screens up to 1600x1200 each. Serious Sam
1+1a+2, All Quake and QEIII's, UT2K Engines, all will scale well. nView
eases multiple monitor set-up to transparent operation.

An expensive and expansive set-up, I recommend Ergotron for panel
management and be wary of NewEgg's LCD replacement policy, the written
one is not consumer centric. Seek out other vendors.
Old March 15th 08, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Makhno

That's not a complex set-up, no problems unless you skimp on the other
required items such as robust power supply, proper high end mobo and
CPU.

Not a problem, however, I've had problems caused by graphics driver bugs
specifically on machines with two 8800GTX used in non-SLI mode (as is
required for two monitors). Many problems have gone with the latest
drivers but some still remain - I wondered what other people's
experiences were.

Many OpenGL titles will happily configure to three 1280x1024
screens, and the other can be left blank or a desktop. With small
futzing you can use all 4 screens up to 1600x1200 each.

Our screens will likely be 1920x1200 and they will all be showing
Windows with either 2D or 3D OpenGL, though some might be less that and
they could all end up being different.

Serious Sam
1+1a+2, All Quake and QEIII's, UT2K Engines, all will scale well. nView
eases multiple monitor set-up to transparent operation.

But don't they use one Window and stretch it over three screens?
For us, we are looking at specifically the case of multiple windows.

An expensive and expansive set-up,

Shockingly cheap now - The monitors with the resolution I've mentioned
above I've heard are available at £200, although ones we used are £350.

Thanks for the help.