No Display

Old March 9th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Travis[_3_]

Default No Display

I just rebuilt a computer, and the motherboard does not appear to be posting
as there is no beep, and there is also no display. I noticed all the fans
are spinning, including the CPU fan and the video card fan.

Specs:
1. Asus M2N-SLI motherboard
2. WD 320GB SATA300 HD with 16MB Cache
3. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
4. G-Skill DDR2 800 Dual-Channel 2GB (1GBx2)
5. Samsung SATA DVD recorder with LightScribe
6. NVIDIA 8500GT with 256MB GDDR2 128-bit PCIe x16 (Manufactured by
Biostar)

Here is what I've tried (some were just out of desperation):
1. Disconnecting the optical drives
2. Disconnecting the SATA HD and connecting a PATA HD instead.
3. Removing one stick of RAM. Then, removed the other stick of RAM. Also
tried different slots.
4. Reseating the video card.
5. Moving the video card to the other PCIe slot.
6. Checking and replugging power cables and panel connectors.
7. Clearing the BIOS

....And still nothing.

What is most likely the issue? I'm suspecting either the video card or the
motherboard? Thanks.

Additionally,
The monitor is a known good monitor, and the power supply is a 430-watt
ThermalTake. It is also a known good component.

Old March 9th 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Inglo

On 3/8/08 7:38 PM Travis brightened our day with:
[...]

Have you got the 12V connector for the CPU plugged in?
Old March 9th 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Travis[_3_]

"Inglo" ioo@??.¿¿¿ wrote in message
news
[...]

Yes. I have the 24-pin eATX connector plugged in, plus the additional 4-pin
12V connector with the 2 12V wires and the 2 ground wires. It is in the
proper orientation.

Old March 9th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Have you got the 12V connector for the CPU plugged in?

The CPU does not have a 12V connector. Presumably you are referring to the
mainboard 4 pin 12V power connector right behind the header panel and next
to the passive heatsink cooler from the Northbridge chip. Certainly, check
that this is plugged in. Also, make sure that the correct 4 prong connector
from the power supply is going to it. I too would suspect the m/b or video
card. Do you have access to any type of old PCI video card or another PCI-E
card? If so, try this. I've had the odd DOA m/b but it's very rare. They all
pass Q/C before shipping. This thread has some constructive advice...
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102...geID=237958 6

Old March 9th 08, 06:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Travis wrote:

[...]

Bad mobo no beep, bad vid card beep, bad ram beep bad cpu beep bad psu
no beep and no fan, you have fan, bad mobo.
Old March 9th 08, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Travis' wrote, in part:
I just rebuilt a computer, and the motherboard does not appear to be
posting
as there is no beep, and there is also no display. I noticed all the fans
are spinning, including the CPU fan and the video card fan.

_____

Try building a minimum system OUTSIDE the case (a legal size paper pad makes
a good non-conductive base.) Start with just the motherboard, power supply,
and CPU. If you get no beep codes at this initial point, well, there you
are... it's the motherboard (if the CPU is known good.) Add components one
at a time until you no longer get a beep code (or the complete system works)
#1. add one memory module
#2. add keyboard
#3. add display adapter
#4. add monitor
#5. add second memory module
#6. add hard drive
#7. continue one hardware item at a time

It could be as simple as a short between one land on the motherboard and the
system case.

Phil Weldon

#1. add one memory module
#2. add keyboard
#3. add display adapter
#4. add monitor
#5. add second memory module
#6. add hard drive
#7. continue one hardware item at a time

"Travis" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if this makes a difference or helps eliminate possibilities but the
soft-off works on it. If I hold the power button for 4 seconds, it shuts
off.

Old March 9th 08, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Not sure if this makes a difference or helps eliminate possibilities but
the soft-off works on it. If I hold the power button for 4 seconds, it
shuts off.

The advice Phil Weldon gave you was to build the system ouside of the case
step by step. This was also the advice the thread I referred you to gave.
Have you tried it?

Old March 9th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
gamefixer

On Mar 9, 12:23*am, "Mr.E Solved!" wrote:
Travis wrote:
[...]

no beep and no fan, you have fan, bad mobo.- Hide quoted text -

I agree with this assessment. If you have a bad video card it would
still beep unless the video card is loading +5/+12 down. but if you
pull everything off of the board you should get POST beeps.

Do you have a slower CPU you can toss onto the board? Perhaps the
current BIOS doesnt support that particular CPU.

Matt
Old March 9th 08, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Travis[_3_]

"Augustus" wrote in message
Not sure if this makes a difference or helps eliminate possibilities but
the soft-off works on it. If I hold the power button for 4 seconds, it
shuts off.

The advice Phil Weldon gave you was to build the system ouside of the case
step by step. This was also the advice the thread I referred you to gave.
Have you tried it?

No, I have not tried the cardboard test yet. I will be doing that today.