Pure Video 2 and HD

Old March 5th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_5_]

Default Pure Video 2 and HD

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why is it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?
Old March 6th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why is
it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to
make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?

You're going to have to supply a bit more info than that for any meaningful
help. We now know you've got an 8800GTS 512 card. Which OS? Which media
player are you using?

Old March 6th 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_5_]

"Augustus" wrote in message

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why is
it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to
make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?

You're going to have to supply a bit more info than that for any
meaningful help. We now know you've got an 8800GTS 512 card. Which OS?
Which media player are you using?

Vista 64 and I prefer Windows Media Player.

Old March 6th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Guest" wrote in message
. ..
"Augustus" wrote in message

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why is
it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to
make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?

You're going to have to supply a bit more info than that for any
meaningful help. We now know you've got an 8800GTS 512 card. Which OS?
Which media player are you using?

Vista 64 and I prefer Windows Media Player.

Vista x64 does not support PureVideo HD through WMP11. It will, however,
support it through WinDVD, PowerDVD and Nero Showtime.

Old March 6th 08, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

What nVidia has done is provide the PureVideo API to interface with vendors
like Cyberlink and Intervideo. You will need one of these apps, neither is
cheap:
PowerDVD Ultra
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/produ...n_112_ENU.html
WinDVD Platinum
http://www.intervideo.com/nVidia/Win...n1_landing.jsp

I don't see what all the PureVideo hype is about. My system plays H.264
1280x720 30fps content with 18-20% CPU utilization, using CoreAVC, a
software decoder. VC1 1920x1080 30fps content raises this to 30-35%. My CPU
is a cheap Athlon X2 2.2 GHz.

"Guest" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 6th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Matti Wartiainen

"Augustus" wrote:

"Guest" wrote in message
"Augustus" wrote in message

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why is
it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to
make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?

You're going to have to supply a bit more info than that for any
meaningful help. We now know you've got an 8800GTS 512 card. Which OS?
Which media player are you using?

Vista 64 and I prefer Windows Media Player.

Vista x64 does not support PureVideo HD through WMP11. It will, however,
support it through WinDVD, PowerDVD and Nero Showtime.

Vista's own mpg2-decoder (in Home Premium & Ultimate -versions) should
support purevideo (through dxva)
--
----------------------------------
Matti Wartiainen.
Old March 6th 08, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

This is purely academic, though. MPEG2 DVD decoding was a difficult thing
back in the Pentium II-300 days. With modern CPUs, a software decoder keeps
CPU utilization below 10%. The extra bloat incurred by WMP over, say, Media
Player Classic, probably cancels out any benefits.

ti.fi...

Old March 6th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_5_]

"Matti Wartiainen" wrote in message
ti.fi...
"Augustus" wrote:

"Guest" wrote in message
m...
"Augustus" wrote in message

I just got an 8800gts 512. I got it for hardware vidoe decoding. Why
is
it so hard to ge tthis pUrevidoe **** going? How come Nvidia seems to
make it a mystery how to work it and know when it is being used?

You're going to have to supply a bit more info than that for any
meaningful help. We now know you've got an 8800GTS 512 card. Which OS?
Which media player are you using?

Vista 64 and I prefer Windows Media Player.

Vista x64 does not support PureVideo HD through WMP11. It will, however,
support it through WinDVD, PowerDVD and Nero Showtime.

Vista's own mpg2-decoder (in Home Premium & Ultimate -versions) should
support purevideo (through dxva)
--
----------------------------------
Matti Wartiainen.
Kouvola.Suomi.Finland.
-----------------------------------

I have Vista Business.

Old March 6th 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_5_]

"First of One" wrote in message
This is purely academic, though. MPEG2 DVD decoding was a difficult thing
back in the Pentium II-300 days. With modern CPUs, a software decoder
keeps CPU utilization below 10%. The extra bloat incurred by WMP over,
say, Media Player Classic, probably cancels out any benefits.

--

There is a such thing as HD my friend. Besides, it is always good to have a
hardware decoder, even though software can be updated, but how MPEG2