Old Hardware and GeForce FX 5600xt Issue

Old March 3rd 08, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Old Hardware and GeForce FX 5600xt Issue

Hello everyone,

I have a Geforce FX 5600xt card that i am trying to install on an old
piece of hardware running Win XP SP2. The harware specs a
Pentium III 500, 256 MB RAM. Nothing is built in (like sound or VGA)

When i go to the Device Manager, it tells me that there is an issue
with the graphics card. The issue is that:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)

The immediate solution that i tried to apply was to go to resources
tab and try to change the resource allocatation but as it turned out,
it wont show the Resource Settings list.

After that, i restarted the machine in safe mode and went to the
Resource tab in Device Manager (same place as above). There the
Resource List showed that:

Memory Range D0000000 - DFFFFFFF not available

I searched the web like a million times and tried almost everything
that has been suggested so far. These a

- Setting AGP apperture to 64 MB --------- Did not work.
- Removing all other cards (like modem, sound etc) ---------- Did not
work
- Trying to re-allocate the memory range ----------- Wont let me
reallocate

The only thing i have not tried is installing the latest driver for
this graphics card. I did not do it because win xp installs the
appropriate driver itself.

One of the previous postings (that i found on the web) for a issue
similar to mine suggested that the hardware needs to be upgraded. I
was wondering if there is any other solution to this problem than
upgrading the hardware?

I know that the hardware belongs to the last century and this question
should also have been asked back then but unfortunatley i have to
resolve this issue. I would really appreciate any help from you guys
out there.

Thanks,

sarshah
Old March 3rd 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I will definately try that and will post back
the outcome.

sarshah

On Mar 3, 3:41*pm, Outback Jon wrote:
wrote:
The only thing i have not tried is installing the latest driver for
this graphics card. I did not do it because win xp installs the
appropriate driver itself.

Windows XP's "appropriate driver" is anything but appropriate. *They are
absolutely awful. *Try the latest drivers from nVidia. *They will no
doubt be better, but it sounds like your problem probably lies elsewhere.

--
"Outback" Jon *- *KC2BNE

AMD Opteron 165 ) and 6.1 GHz of other AMD power...http://folding.stanford.edu- got folding? *Team 53560

2006 ZG1000A Concours "Blueline" COG# 7385 CDA# 0157

Old March 3rd 08, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

wrote in message
[...]

This is not a driver issue, but a physical address issue. XP (amongst most
other newer MS OS's) dynamically allows IRQ sharing and will assign memory
ranges and allocation automatically unless the BIOS has specifically
excluded that range due to settings. If you can tell me the actual m/b make
and model, I could likely be of greater assistance, however the settings you
want to check will be the Plug and Play BIOS (should be on), Com Ports 1 and
2 (try disabling), Resources Controlled by [Auto/Manual] (should be auto)
and/or IRQ Resources (typically by number and should all be auto or PCI
device). If not, the issue lies there. Frequent offenders that cause this
issue are SB cards and AC97 enable/disable settings. Setiing AGP aperature
to 256Mb has been know to sometimes work for some. This last gem of advice
is one that I have read posted by others in the past as sometimes helping.
My own experience tells me it won't, but it's worth a shot. It doesn't
remove 256Mb of your memory from pool use so it can't hurt. Set all BIOS
settings to Auto, and remove all devices in the Device Manager, restart the
system with just the AGP card in it and allow it to be discovered and
installed. Then put the NIC, sound card in and restart. This should help.

Old March 4th 08, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Thanks for the great and detailed advice Augustus. Let me try all
these things and then i will get back as soon as possible.

Thanks,

sarshah

On Mar 3, 10:59*pm, "Augustus" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

installed. Then put the NIC, sound card in and restart. This should help.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 5th 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Hi,

I have tried the following:

Plug and Play BIOS (should be on), Com Ports 1 and
2 (try disabling), Resources Controlled by [Auto/Manual] (should be auto)
and/or IRQ Resources (typically by number and should all be auto or PCI
device). If not, the issue lies there

- Could not find Plug and Play BIOS option with exactly the same name
(nor with any other name).
- Disabled both COM ports. Did not work.
- Resources Controlled by [Auto/Manual] - Changed it to Auto but did
not work.
- IRQ Resources (typically by number and should all be auto or PCI
device) - Since Resources Controlled [Auto/Manual] was on Auto so IRQ
Resources were not visible

The motherboard is 440BX chipset. I am not too sure about the make. I
will try and get that information by looking at the motherboard. One
thing that i am absolutely sure is that Intel is not the maker.

The thing that i have not tried yet is where it is suggested to
uninstall all the drivers for various PCI & AGP cards (modem, sound
and NVIDIA 3d card), remove every card physically except for the
NVIDIA card and then start. I will do it today and post back.

Thanks again

sarshah

Old March 6th 08, 02:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

I uninstalled drivers for all cards (including nvidia card) then
shutdown the system and physically removed all the cards except for
the graphics card. Restarted my PC and when the desktop showed, it
says new hardware found (Geforce card). OS installed it and asked for
a restart which i promptly did. Restarted but the problem is still
there.

Please help,

sarshah.

On Mar 5, 4:13*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have tried the following:

Old March 6th 08, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

What is the exact make and model of the mainboard on this PIII box?

Old March 7th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

There are no traces of the make/model since the packaging is not there
anymore. Let me physically check the motherboard to see if i can find
something.

Old March 9th 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

The board says Super Mainboard. I guess its the brand.

sarshah.

On Mar 7, 6:48*am, wrote:
There are no traces of the make/model since the packaging is not there
anymore. Let me physically check the motherboard to see if i can find
something.

On Mar 7, 4:36*am, "Augustus" wrote:

What is the exact make and model of the mainboard on this PIII box?- Hide quoted text -