Good forceware version fo 6800GT?

Old March 3rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Blass

Default Good forceware version fo 6800GT?

Would I see a performance boost or temp lowering from 93.71 to 169.21?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:13:51 -0500, " -" sayd the
following:

I have been using the 169.21 download from the Nvidia site. The only time I
have had problems so far is when I have gone into the Nvidia control panel
and run the stability test (I bought my card used and wanted to thrash it a
bit to see if it would have problems under stress while I could still return
it). It runs the stability test just fine, but each time after running the
test, the first time I reboot there is a problem. It will boot fine until
just after the desktop comes up and then about a two seconds later the
display screen goes all squiggly. I have to reboot into safe mode and
reload the drivers. Therefore, I think it is an Ntune or driver issue.
Otherwise, I have not had any issues with 169.21.

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
.. .
I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Old March 3rd 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:

Overclocking doesn't damage the card. Clocked too high and the card will
simply show artifacts or lock up.

Tell that to the legions of clockers who destroyed their video ram by
setting it too high, or changing ram timings. If your VGA card doesn't
boot from changes, if you do not have a PCI spare or can
flash-it-back-blind, it's effectively ruined.

Added control? What PSU are you using? I don't recall ever coming across a
PSU that allows its fan speed to be controlled by the motherboard. This is
just plain stupid, because every PSU is different. A "default" fan schedule
that works for PSU A won't work for PSU B.

An Enermax VC700 something something SLI PSU with 2 fans that are
controlled either by an external pot, temp, or motherboard via the
control cable. The SMARTFAN setting in your BIOS can be set for various
temps and will adjust your fans accordingly. It's very handy and quiet
and until now, problem free.

Back in the day, certain Forceware 8x.xx drivers were known to kill monitors
with a new "Direct Access" feature. The feature was soon retracted.

How things haven't changed....bleh.

Old March 4th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Tell that to the legions of clockers who destroyed their video ram by
setting it too high, or changing ram timings.

I don't believe Forceware adjusts RAM timings.

If your VGA card doesn't boot from changes, if you do not have a PCI spare
or can flash-it-back-blind, it's effectively ruined.

This is true only if you "hard" set the clock speeds with a BIOS editor.
Overclocking done thru Forceware or utilities like Rivatuner and ATiTool
doesn't go into effect until the driver or utility loads well after boot,
and that can be bypassed by Safe Mode.

Besides, for any Geforce 5xxx or later card, the full "requested" clock
speed doesn't kick in until 3D.

An Enermax VC700 something something SLI PSU with 2 fans that are
controlled either by an external pot, temp, or motherboard via the control
cable. The SMARTFAN setting in your BIOS can be set for various temps and
will adjust your fans accordingly. It's very handy and quiet and until
now, problem free.

So what does the motherboard use to determine PSU temperature?

Old March 4th 08, 06:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
-

Sorry, but I could not advise you on this.

Doug

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
news
Would I see a performance boost or temp lowering from 93.71 to 169.21?

Old March 4th 08, 06:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:

I don't believe Forceware adjusts RAM timings.

No, but users can and that's what we were talking about, how
overclocking can...not can't... hurt your vid card...and we both know it
can in the many ways possible.

So what does the motherboard use to determine PSU temperature?

Mobo knows CPU Temp (embedded diode and possibly reported by cpu?),
Chipset temp (embedded sensor somewhere near the southbridge/2nd PCIe
slot), and another temp from handy thermistor on a long lead, which you
can put anywhere..such as the PSU. The PSU is connected to the mobo by
its lead which transmits not temp but fan data, and the mobo determines
the rpm of the PSU by the temp of the lead or by the temp you supply to
the BIOS, or any third party program like speed fan, ntune...the PSU can
over ride the mobo temp data with it's internal temp sensor but you can
override that by the external pot. All said and done, I've never seen
the fans not spin while the system was on, let alone running, no matter
how it was connected, they quietly whirr for a good five minutes after
the PC is shut off most of the time.

This whole thing started with the install of the new card, forceware
then ntune, as instructed. Some fans were shut off (once), BIOS was
reset (twice) and .NET25 was wrecked.

Everything works now, no more issues other than that install and I've
reinstalled several driver suites both WHQL and not, no issues. Either
it was a bad ntune installation or something horrible happening to .net
or moonbeams, but it could have wrecked my PSU. Who knows, maybe a
short, internet pirates, not even a software problem.

All in all the 8800GTS512M is a monster card, HDR and 4xFSAA with SS and
16x aniso at 1600x1200 at 50-70 FPS with a 490M buffer/texture memory
load in Oblivion is pretty remarkable, the fans never go over 420RPM and
the GPU says at 67c, only the CPU fan kicks into higher gear to hold at
my self-imposed limit of 55c.

All done without resorting to nHancer, which has some issues with 169.xx
forceware's and later. I'd take the 9-series equivalent of this card
with 768M and add more FSAA (8xQ) to Oblivion. But only if it doesn't
need any more power, I'm drawing 127w idle, 240W load.
Old March 6th 08, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

"TheCroW" schreef in bericht
I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Well, I have the GeForce EN6600 TopSilent TD and using the latest Nvidia
forceware drivers (version 169.21) on my Windows XP Home SP2 system is
giving no problem at all. Only thing that is "weird", is the new NVidia
control panel: I don't like it al all myself, looks like some kind of
Windows Help screen .... but other then that, the latest forceware is
working cool and safe with my GeForce 6600.

Some time ago I got some valuable advice on this subject (I hate the modern
control panel as well) for Mr. E. Solved, You can read it in message 17 in
the thread on
http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.co...fe8a1d2e112 e.

Good luck!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

Old March 6th 08, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheCroW

Well, I have the GeForce EN6600 TopSilent TD and using the latest Nvidia
forceware drivers (version 169.21) on my Windows XP Home SP2 system is
giving no problem at all. Only thing that is "weird", is the new NVidia
control panel: I don't like it al all myself, looks like some kind of
Windows Help screen .... but other then that, the latest forceware is
working cool and safe with my GeForce 6600.

Some time ago I got some valuable advice on this subject (I hate the
modern control panel as well) for Mr. E. Solved, You can read it in
message 17 in the thread on
http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.co...fe8a1d2e112 e.

Good luck!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

Your my hero :-)
Thanx!!

Menno

Old March 6th 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Rene wrote:

Some time ago I got some valuable advice on this subject (I hate the modern
control panel as well) for Mr. E. Solved, You can read it in message 17 in
the thread on
http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.co...fe8a1d2e112 e.

Good luck!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

Sssh, If people know I have the answers, I'll be forever asked questions.

Thanks for pinch hitting Rene, you're a peach.

ForceWare rel. 90, version 94.24 update botched ftr Nvidia Videocards 5 September 28th 07 05:35 PM
ForceWare XP Relese Version: 162.18 Official BETA Mr.E Solved! Nvidia Videocards 0 July 6th 07 12:06 AM
6800GT for $150 good ? ZTK General 2 April 24th 05 12:15 AM
Asus 6800GT any good? Cory Dunkle Nvidia Videocards 10 January 10th 05 04:22 AM
MSI 6800GT 26DB version Nicolai Nvidia Videocards 2 August 6th 04 05:16 PM