8600GT and Command & Conquer Generals

Old February 11th 08, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lorenzo Sandini

Default 8600GT and Command & Conquer Generals

Hello there,

Is there anyone playing Generals on such a gfx card ? Ok the answer
might be obvious to some, but here's the story.

I "upgraded" a computer running XP pro, based on a MSI i865/478
mainboard, northwood 2.6, Rad X800XT by swapping those 3 components, and
leaving all the rest intact. I removed all ATI drivers and remains
before shutting off the machine and making the "transplant".

The new components were an Abit IP35 mobo, E4500 cpu and GF 8600GT
PCIex. I was certain the machine wouldn't boot and I was ready to do a
clean install from scratch, but to my huge susprise, it booted right
away into windows, only discovering the new components and installing
drivers. In the end it was a fully working system, with a completely
clean device manager list, and everything that was installed earlier
works perfectly, except Command and Conquer Generals.

There are lots of games in that box (it's my boy's own machine), and
they all work fine, FS9, Flatout2, LEGO starwars to mention just a few.
But when I launch Generals, it complains about the graphic card not
meeting the minimal requirements, or not being at least DirectX 8.1
compatible. DX9.0c is installed, along with the latest Nvidia drivers.

The answer could be to do a clean install after all, but since
everything else works, I'd like to avoid that. But guess what's the
favourite game ATM ?

Uninstalling -reinstalling the game, trying older drivers, manufacturer
own drivers, reinstalling DX9.0c didn't help. The game worked fine
before, and works fine on my other machine E6600, i965, 7800GTX.

Any brilliant idea ? TIA !

Lorenzo
Old March 7th 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Harvey

"Lorenzo Sandini" wrote in message
[...]

Check to see if there are any driver updates. Next go to c&c website and
see if there any updates there and/or is there are anyone having same
problems

Old March 7th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Harvey wrote:

Is there anyone playing Generals on such a gfx card ? Ok the answer
might be obvious to some, but here's the story.

GeForce 8 series cards have DirectDraw issues with C&C:Generals. Disable
DirecDraw entirely via DXDiag.exe or any other DX Utility to disable
select portions of DirectDraw based on your level of expertise and
system effect.

Quicktime, C&C, Infinity Engine games, all have serious DirectDraw
issues with the 8-series.