Drive Image File Restored to Wrong Partition in Error !

Old September 22nd 05, 03:38 PM

Default Drive Image File Restored to Wrong Partition in Error !

I use XP Pro SP2 with all Partitons formatted to NTFS.

One of my hard drives is partitioned into C,E,F & G OF 8000
,15000,24,000 & 10000 mb's respectively. I have D.I. files of all of
these drives which I update every so often .

I was restoring a previous Image file of the C & E drive the other day
and I got distracted in the "restore" operation and , inadvertently
"restored" the C Image File into the E partition .

What seems to have happened here is that , the C Image File being an
image of a 8000 MB partition has now resulted in the E Partition being
divided into 2 partitons one of which has no E identification and is
of 8000MB and the other is now designated "Unallocated Space" also
with no identification which is of (15000-8000) MB in size.

I have a copy of P.M. 6.0 which seems unable to restore the Parttions
to the position and size they were in before this error ocurred.

I am , therefore , considering using FDISK to restore the drive to its
previous state by re-formatting and re-partioning the entire drive.

Will FDISK be able to delete all the Partitions on this drive ,
including the unnamed 8000MB Partition and the "Unallocated Space " as
well as all the other NTFS Partitions ?

If not , can anyone suggest a way of returning the drive to its
original state ?

B.N.
Old September 22nd 05, 07:03 PM
Rod Speed

I use XP Pro SP2 with all Partitons formatted to NTFS.

One of my hard drives is partitioned into C,E,F & G OF
8000,15000, 24,000 & 10000 mb's respectively. I have D.I.
files of all of these drives which I update every so often .

I was restoring a previous Image file of the C & E drive the
other day and I got distracted in the "restore" operation and,
inadvertently "restored" the C Image File into the E partition.

Yeah, best to be very careful about restores for that reason.

What seems to have happened here is that , the C Image File being an
image of a 8000 MB partition has now resulted in the E Partition being
divided into 2 partitons one of which has no E identification and is
of 8000MB and the other is now designated "Unallocated Space"

Thats normal.

also with no identification which is of (15000-8000) MB in size.

Unallocated space doesnt need identification.

I have a copy of P.M. 6.0 which seems unable to restore the Parttions
to the position and size they were in before this error ocurred.

It should be able to do that if you delete that erroneously restored
partition and just restore the E partition into that space again.

I am , therefore , considering using FDISK to restore the drive to its
previous state by re-formatting and re-partioning the entire drive.

Will FDISK be able to delete all the Partitions on
this drive, including the unnamed 8000MB Partition

Maybe, depends on what you have done partition name wise.
Fdisk does require you to type in the name, basically as a
safety measure to make it harder to delete the wrong one.

and the "Unallocated Space "

Yes, you dont need to do anything about that.

as well as all the other NTFS Partitions ?

Yes.

If not , can anyone suggest a way of
returning the drive to its original state ?

You can just delete that partition restored in error from within DI and restore
the partition(s) that should be there from their respective image files.

If that doesnt work for whatever reason, you can just wipe the entire drive
with something like clearhdd and then restore all the partitions from their
respective image files. Best to do that sequentially, C,E,F & G for simplicity.

Old September 23rd 05, 03:08 AM
Andy

Have you tried to delete then reallocate and format the sick partitions
using Partition Magic? If not, try it. Just make sure to back up the drive
before you mess with the partitions.

Andy

Old September 23rd 05, 06:32 AM

I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
problem.The software provides very useful functions:
Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
rebuild mbr,etc.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
then choose "Interactive" mode.

See mo http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
http://www.ptdd.com

Old September 23rd 05, 08:23 AM
Joep

wrote in message
ups.com...
I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
problem.The software provides very useful functions:
Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
rebuild mbr,etc.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
then choose "Interactive" mode.

See mo http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
http://www.ptdd.com

CHENGDU YIWO Tech Development Co., Ltd, established on August 12th, 2004,

is a professional data security company.
With the precursor of PTDD Group, we are now on the final stage of the

transition, and it has been completed.

Either you're in the final stage OR it has been completed.

Ever since its foundation, CHENGDU YIWO Tech Development Co., Ltd has

provided well-received services for a host
number of customers at home and abroad, many of them have long-term

relationship with us.

Long term? It was established only a little over a year ago.

With the idea of "strength of the organization based on the loyalty to

customers", we firmly believe that we are top-grade professional service
provider.

Keep on believing, where did you steal that line from? I see you removed
your webforum because there were only complaints in there.

Old September 23rd 05, 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have taken note of all of them and
will give some - maybe all - a go.

Much obliged.

B.N.