8KNXP 1.x Hard drive config

Old June 22nd 05, 10:54 AM
NeilA

Default 8KNXP 1.x Hard drive config

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1 board, and am having trouble setting up my desired
combination of drives.
I don't use RAID.

I have:
1 x 80Gb SATA drive (boot drive)
1 x 40Gb PATA drive (used for data backup)
2 x optical drives (CD-RW & DVD-RW)

And I've just added:
1 x 160Gb SATA drive (data)

I have the two SATA drive plugged into the first of the two SATA
controllers, which remaps the two SATA drives as Primary PATA master and
slave.
But doing this locks out the 40Gb PATA drive, which is plugged into the
primary IDE channel.
The two optical drives are on the secondary PATA channel.

Is there a way to have both SATA drives AND the PATA 40Gb drive available?

The whole SATA/RAID config in the BIOS is very confusing!

Thanks for any help

--
NeilA
Sydney, Australia

Old June 22nd 05, 06:54 PM
Bob Davis

"NeilA" wrote in message

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1 board, and am having trouble setting up my desired
combination of drives.
I don't use RAID.

I have:
1 x 80Gb SATA drive (boot drive)
1 x 40Gb PATA drive (used for data backup)
2 x optical drives (CD-RW & DVD-RW)

And I've just added:
1 x 160Gb SATA drive (data)

I have the two SATA drive plugged into the first of the two SATA
controllers, which remaps the two SATA drives as Primary PATA master and
slave.
But doing this locks out the 40Gb PATA drive, which is plugged into the
primary IDE channel.
The two optical drives are on the secondary PATA channel.

Is there a way to have both SATA drives AND the PATA 40Gb drive available?

The whole SATA/RAID config in the BIOS is very confusing!

Follow these steps, and hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. You'll need
to enable and install the 82801ER (ICH5R) SATA RAID controller.

1. Back up everything as a precaution.

2. Go to the Gigabyte or Intel site and download the IAA (82801ER) drivers.
Put the four driver files (IASTOR.SYS, IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.CAT, TXSETUP.OEM)
on a floppy disk.

3. Reboot, enter bios and change the following items:
On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
SATA RAID function: Enabled

Keep in mind that the "On-board SATA" is the Sil3112 controller, which isn't
what you're trying to enable.

4. XP will find the new hardware (82801ER SATA RAID controller) and will
prompt for drivers. Point to the floppy and let them install.

5. Reboot, enter bios and make sure your Hard Disk Boot Priority is set
properly (mine reads "Intel RAID_Volume1" with a RAID0 array), then let it
boot into XP. You should then be in business.

Caveat: I used this procedure on the same mobo and it worked perfectly, but
I started with my OS on a PATA drive, and enabled the SATA RAID controller
before installing a SATA drive. I installed the SATA drive after Step 4,
and between Step 4 and 5 I cloned the PATA to SATA with Norton Ghost. Later
on (months later) I moved to RAID0 and that transition was also a piece of
cake.

This procedure should work as well, but please make sure you're backed up!

I believe the drives will stay mapped to the IDE controller until Step 5, at
which time the 82801ER will be installed and the drives will be picked up on
that controller, freeing the IDE controllers for IDE drives.

Please let us know if you run into any glitches.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:13 PM
NeilA

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"NeilA" wrote in message

[...]

Bob

Thank you so much for the great level of detail in your response.

Your caveat does impact on my situation, but I will probably Ghost my boot
drive to a PATA drive, install that as the boot drive, and then go through
your process.

Out of interest, does setting the drives up as you suggest result in any
better performance from the SATA drives?
I've always felt that the remapping process I currently use, slows things
down a bit.

Thanks again.

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

Old June 22nd 05, 09:48 PM
Bob Davis

"NeilA" wrote in message
u...

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

[...]

Neil, doing the extra step of Ghosting to a PATA might be a good idea, but I
really can't think of a reason it wouldn't work with the SATA in place.
When you install the hardware and drivers, the SATA drive will be mapped
through IDE, and when you reboot again it should use the 82801ER SATA RAID
controller. I would think it would switch to it without issues.

You could use your clone to PATA as a backup in case the process goes awry.
Anyway, using the PATA route did work for me, so that is a known bit of
evidence. I've never heard about doing it the other way, so if you do it
you may be blazing a trail for others to follow. Do you feel like an
trailblazer? g

As for performance, I never did run my SATA drives mapped through IDE, so I
don't know. Before I did the PATA-to-SATA swap, I was advised to enable
RAID from the outset, which is what enables the 82801ER controller, mostly
to open the door for RAID installation later if desired, plus keeping my IDE
capabilities intact. I do seem to recall someone recommending it for
performance reasons, and the concensus at the time was to use the ICH5R
instead of Sil3112.

Since you want to retain operation of all your hardware, there would be some
other choices, too. You could always install a PCI controller, or enable
the Gigaraid (IDE) controller already on-board. I would try what we've been
talking about first, though.

Old June 23rd 05, 08:32 AM
NeilA

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"NeilA" wrote in message
u...

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks again Bob...

Appreciate the good advise... I've collected the drivers I need, so will
Ghost as a backup and then see how it all goes!

Will report back...

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

Old June 23rd 05, 09:40 AM
NeilA

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
> [...]

"NeilA" wrote in message
u...

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

[...]

Hey Bob,

Just tried your instructions...

On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
SATA RAID function: Enabled

And saw a confiuration screen flash by, then the XP splash screen, then... a
BSOD! ;-)

So... back to square one at the moment...

But out of interest, If set the on board SATA settings in the BIOS to:

On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1

but with SATA RAID function: DISabled

I can't boot from the SATA drive... Why is that, and how can I boot from a
SATA drive without the remapping to IDE Master 1?

Thanks

Neil Atwood...

Old June 24th 05, 03:19 AM
Bob Davis

"NeilA" wrote in message
u...

Hey Bob,

Just tried your instructions...

On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
SATA RAID function: Enabled

And saw a confiuration screen flash by, then the XP splash screen, then...
a BSOD! ;-)

An unexpected, revolting development. What did the BSOD say? It must be
reacting adversely to the new hardware that has no driver, but in my case it
booted into XP without a hitch and asked for drivers. Keep in mind that I
still had XP on a PATA drive at the time, with nothing connected to the SATA
controller. It may be that you'll need to boot up with a PATA like I did,
then do the above.

Come to think of it, you are enabling the 82801ER with a drive attached to
it before it has drivers, so that is probably the problem. Thus you're
asking it to run the drive without drivers. Attach the PATA you ghosted as
C: (also change the boot order), then boot into XP with nothing attached to
the SATA controller with settings as above. At that point XP should see the
new hardware, install the drivers, and you can then shut it down and swap
the drives. That would be the procedure I used that worked.

Also, what bios version are you running? When I did this I was fairly
up-to-date on the bios at the time, on either f10 or f11, now on f13a.

Old June 24th 05, 12:17 PM
NeilA

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"NeilA" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah - but it's but I was concerned would happen because my boot drive is a
SATA drive... ;-)

So I will image to a PATA drive and do as you suggest...
BIOS is due to be updated to F13a - I have the file, just need to do it.
Any known problems with the F13a code?

Thanks again, and will keep you posted...

Cheers

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

Old June 24th 05, 08:55 PM
Bob Davis

"NeilA" wrote in message
u...

"NeilA" wrote in message
[...]

I'm confident Plan B will work as it did for me.

I've had f13a on this system since January without any issues and haven't
heard anything negative about it. I had f10 before that and wasn't having
trouble with it either, but the description of f13a mentioned a problem with
f12 and installing XP using RAID, which sounded like it might apply to me
even though I was running f10. I figured after two months that if there
were problems with it Gigabyte would've pulled it, and it's still there
today as a "beta." I think you could say that it has been tested enough to
pull the "beta" label.

Old July 1st 05, 03:44 AM
NeilA

Bob,

I'm having problems finding the IAA (82801ER) drivers that you suggested I
install.

On the Gigabyte
site,(http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8KNXP%20(Rev%201.x).htm)
under 'RAID Driver' I see " Intel ICH5R/ICH6R " (a 15.8Mb file), but that
wants to install the Intel Application Accelerator, and who knows what else!

Do you mean the 'Intel ICH5R /ICH6R /ICH7R (Preinstall driver, press F6
during Windows* setup to read from floppy)' drivers?
If so, they should already be installed, as I used them to install XP on the
80Gb SATA drive in the first place. But even with this file, I don't seem to
be able to extract the actual driver files themselves... :-(

Any pointers gratefully received!

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia