A7N8X/Barton combo needs performance tweak

Old August 10th 03, 03:43 AM
doug blaisdell

Default A7N8X/Barton combo needs performance tweak

I just built a system (A7N8X PCB 2.0 (FSB 400), Corsair PC3200 dual
matched 512MB, and a Barton 2500, and was wondering if I could get a
little more speed out of it, using just the AMD heat sink that came
with the Barton, and not knowing much about overclocking.

The current BIOS settings a

CPU External Freq. 100MHz
CPU Frequency Muliple Setting: Auto
CPU Frequency Multiple 11.0x (but this is grayed out)
System Performance: aggressive
Memory Frequency: 100%
Resulting Frequency 100MHz

According to Asus Probe, the CPU is running at 41 C with the above
settings.
I set the "System Performance" value from "Optimal" to Aggressive as
an experiment, and so far no problems.

Should I try jacking up the CPU External Frequency a bit, or will that
tax the AMD heat sink too much?

thanks in advance.
Old August 10th 03, 04:30 AM
Ed

On 9 Aug 2003 19:43:34 -0700, (doug blaisdell)
wrote:

[...]

First thing you should do is get a better CPU HS/fan if you plan to
overclock. With PC3200 you want to run the FSB @ 200MHz and lower the
CPU multiplier, run ram in sync of FSB for best performance and
stability.

Something like this for starters.....
ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES
=========================
CPU External Freq. MHz [200]
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
CPU Frequency Multiple [9.0x]
System Performance [User Defined]
CPU Interface [Agressive] (better ram bandwidth then [Optimal])
Memory Frequency [100%] - run ram in sync with FSB
Memory Timings [User Defined] (EXAMPLE CORSAIR 2-2-2-6-t1)
SDRAM Active PreCharge Delay = 6
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 2
SDRAM RAS PreCharge Delay = 2
SDRAM CAS Latency = 2

CPU Vcore Setting [Menu]
CPU Vcore [1.65V] May need more when you overclock!

fwiw, my 2800+ Barton runs as a 3200+ (200x11) at 1.675v (default is
1.65 for Bartons), and it's an old week 7 core.

Ed

Old August 10th 03, 02:10 PM
doug blaisdell

thanks, ed.

What do you suggest for a hs/fan to run at these values?

Old August 10th 03, 03:01 PM
Roger Squires

A barton 2500+ will run at 11x200 easy. Start tweaking!

rms

Old August 10th 03, 03:08 PM
doug blaisdell

One more thing. How much of a system performance increase could I
expect to see from these changes? 20%, 30%? (I'm just trying to figure
out if it's worth doing).

Old August 10th 03, 07:55 PM
Ed

Well you should see a big difference, for one your running a 100Mhz bus,
that's not even spec, your under_clocking! ;p
Ed

On 10 Aug 2003 07:08:27 -0700, (doug blaisdell)
wrote:

One more thing. How much of a system performance increase could I
expect to see from these changes? 20%, 30%? (I'm just trying to figure
out if it's worth doing).

Ed wrote in message . ..
On 9 Aug 2003 19:43:34 -0700,
(doug blaisdell)

Old August 10th 03, 11:21 PM
doug blaisdell

It's funny, but 100MHz is what the bus was set at when I first opened
the BIOS, the default I guess.

Do you have any recommendations for the hs/fan combination? Ideally,
I'd like it cool and quiet, of course.

wrote:

One more thing. How much of a system performance increase could I
expect to see from these changes? 20%, 30%? (I'm just trying to figure
out if it's worth doing).

Ed wrote in message . ..
On 9 Aug 2003 19:43:34 -0700,
(doug blaisdell)

Old August 11th 03, 12:52 AM
doug blaisdell

I reset the CPU in the BIOS to run at 166Mhz and everything seems to
be running fine (though much faster. Thanks all!). The CPU is running
at about 50C with the Quake1 demo running (I don't know much about s/w
for putting PCs under load). I noticed that the BIOS automatically
sets the memory access times more conservatively when I up the CPU
speed. (Maybe this is sensible, or maybe I it should be overridden.)
I've got Corsair 3200 memory, but only the stock AMD HS/fan. Should I
try for 200Mhz or get a better fan first?

"LiveWire" wrote in message news:gxrZa.78128$Oz4.18221@rwcrnsc54...
The current BIOS settings a

CPU External Freq. 100MHz

No wonder you're looking for more speed....right now you are underclocking
the CPU. Before attempting to overclock, you may want to try running it at
spec. by setting the CPU frequency to 166Mhz.

Old August 11th 03, 04:52 AM
Nick M V Salmon

You should make it to 11x200 for 2.2GHz okay, although not all Barton's will
do 200MHz FSB - mine doesn't like 200MHz FSB long term but will do 2.4GHz,
so I run it at 192x12.5 for 2.4GHz 1.85Vcore - I'm using a 220W Peltier &
watercooling though (5~15C) so you're unlikely to be able to push it that
far 100% stable - 2200MHz is quite likely possible at little above spec'
Vcore, thus it shouldn't put out a ridculous amount of heat but improved CPU
cooling isn't a bad idea - the retail box AMD HSFs aren't particularly
good...

Just edge it up from 166MHz, say 175, 185 Etc. FSB & run Prime95's 'Torture
test' for a short while in Wndows at each step - if it errors out then up
the Vcore a notch or two and try again. Prime95 is a good test for 100% CPU
stability 'cause the first area of the Athlon to quit with overclocking is
(usually) the Floating Point Unit (FPU) & the FPU is loaded very heavily by
Prime95. Doing it this way should avoid your needing to reset the CMOS at
any point but that's always a possibility - ghosting off a copy of your O/S
installation is also a good idea incase you get hard disk corruption - I've
found that the NForce2 Southbridge gets quite hot, especially when
increasing chipset Voltage, and this can cause hard disk corruption, even
though the CPU is still 100% stable...

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...

"doug blaisdell" wrote