2 network card problem

Old January 6th 05, 05:33 PM
vectorsigma

Default 2 network card problem

hi

I have installed on PC Pavilion 720ì with win XP pro with SP2 2 network
card: one is in boundle with the motherboard, one is on PCI slot.
Unfortunately, the two card are the same model (realtek RTL 8139), so, when
I turn on ALL network card, Windows CAN'T recognize them as different and no
connection to ethernet works.

Anybody has a solution (better than changing one network adapter)?

thanks to all

ale

Old January 6th 05, 07:02 PM
kony

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:33:52 +0100, "vectorsigma"
wrote:

hi

I have installed on PC Pavilion 720ì with win XP pro with SP2 2 network
card: one is in boundle with the motherboard, one is on PCI slot.
Unfortunately, the two card are the same model (realtek RTL 8139), so, when
I turn on ALL network card, Windows CAN'T recognize them as different and no
connection to ethernet works.

Anybody has a solution (better than changing one network adapter)?

thanks to all

ale

I believe you can edit the INF file for the driver to change
it's name (sorry, forget the details but examining the INF
should help you determine how), then install the modified
driver to one of the cards.

Changing one adapter isn't such a bad idea though, those
NICs are cheap and it's not as though you're giving up a
particularly good NIC to abandon a RT8139, they're about as
uninteresting as it gets... not necessarily all that bad but
other options are a little better (Intel, 3Com).
Old January 6th 05, 11:11 PM
Quaoar

vectorsigma wrote:
hi

I have installed on PC Pavilion 720ì with win XP pro with SP2 2
network card: one is in boundle with the motherboard, one is on PCI
slot. Unfortunately, the two card are the same model (realtek RTL
8139), so, when I turn on ALL network card, Windows CAN'T recognize
them as different and no connection to ethernet works.

Anybody has a solution (better than changing one network adapter)?

thanks to all

ale

This has been discussed extensively on
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless. Google groups will likely
turn up the method.

Old January 7th 05, 02:31 AM
vectorsigma

thanks, but I can't find it

do you hame more specific suggestion??

thanks
ale
"Quaoar" ha scritto nel messaggio
news

Old January 8th 05, 03:36 PM
Quaoar

vectorsigma wrote:
hi

I have installed on PC Pavilion 720ì with win XP pro with SP2 2
network card: one is in boundle with the motherboard, one is on PCI
slot. Unfortunately, the two card are the same model (realtek RTL
8139), so, when I turn on ALL network card, Windows CAN'T recognize
them as different and no connection to ethernet works.

Anybody has a solution (better than changing one network adapter)?

thanks to all

ale

This has been discussed extensively on
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless. Google groups will
likely turn up the method.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april22.mspx
might be a start. Did you Google Groups the MS newsgroup for " two
network cards"?

A strange problem with my network. Need advice E.D. General 4 October 16th 04 03:28 PM
Flash card reader: write problem... KILOWATT General 7 June 1st 04 12:19 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Network Card Probs... evil General 6 February 26th 04 01:43 PM
Wireless Network Card On Win98 Not Working Gary Brown General 2 December 12th 03 11:32 AM