6600GT and needed power supply

Old January 2nd 05, 04:48 PM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"First of One" wrote in message

That's just bad design. Intentionally perforating a shroud, WTF?
Any, the perforations would still be facing the CD drive if the PSU
were installed "backwards".

My 400W Antec has a 90 mm intake and an 80 mm exhaust fan, without
any perforations on the enclosure. The air coming out the back is
actually very
warm, meaning the fans are doing their job.

I presently have a 1-fan Antec. When I upgrade I'll get a psu with
one big bottom fan.

My psu has very little incoming heat to cope with as I run my hsf
fanless with a duct between it and the case fan, which vacuums all
the cpu heat out the back. As a result my system temp stays in the
high teens, low 20's.
Once you do this it's hard to imagine going back.

Could you post a pic of your case's interior somewhere? I've been
considering doing something similar and I'm not too proud to copy a good
design.

--
dvus

Old January 2nd 05, 04:54 PM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote in message
Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few
PSUs!

I'll bet replacement motherboards are hideously expensive.

A friend just left me an AST Adventure! 410 that needs help and it's quite
unique. You actually have to take the cover and bottom of the thing off to
remove add-in cards. I'm searching for the CMOS clearing jumper because I
think the battery went dead and screwed up the bios. Damn thing has mostly
ISA slots and no AGP.

--
dvus

Old January 2nd 05, 10:33 PM
First of One

Most Dell ATX tower PCs since the early Pentium4 days use this design. It's
a 80 mm (or wider) duct, with a 90-deg bend, out of ventilation ducting or
some PVC pipe (Home Depot). If you are cheap, you can use cardboard:

http://www.mashie.org/casemods/pics/syrinix_03.jpg

Old January 2nd 05, 10:37 PM
First of One

High teens, low twenties is about room temp; can't go much lower. :-)

My case's ****ty design puts the PSU vertically beside the CPU. (As a
result, the PSU must be removed to access the CPU heat sink.) This
incidentally puts the PSU intake fan directly above the CPU fan, resulting
in low-twenties case temperature. :-)

"Ed Light" wrote in message
I presently have a 1-fan Antec. When I upgrade I'll get a psu with one big
bottom fan.

My psu has very little incoming heat to cope with as I run my hsf fanless
with a duct between it and the case fan, which vacuums all the cpu heat

out
the back. As a result my system temp stays in the high teens, low 20's.

Once you do this it's hard to imagine going back.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:36 AM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote
Could you post a pic of your case's interior somewhere? I've been
considering doing something similar and I'm not too proud to copy a good
design.

I used this little kit:

http://store.yahoo.com/casecooler/suovairdu.html

It's not ideal -- the pipe's a little small and not smooth inside, and on my
system, to get it to fit, I had to mount the case fan on the outside, with
the grille cut out.

It's like the bottom picture only the flow is out, not in.

You can actually try making one with aluminum tape.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:38 AM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote
A friend just left me an AST Adventure! 410 that needs help and it's quite
unique. You actually have to take the cover and bottom of the thing off to
remove add-in cards. I'm searching for the CMOS clearing jumper because I
think the battery went dead and screwed up the bios. Damn thing has mostly
ISA slots and no AGP.

It doesn't seem like so long ago when we had mixed pci and isa, and didn't
want to throw out our isa cards.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:40 AM
Ed Light

"First of One" wrote in message
High teens, low twenties is about room temp; can't go much lower. :-)

My case's ****ty design puts the PSU vertically beside the CPU. (As a
result, the PSU must be removed to access the CPU heat sink.) This
incidentally puts the PSU intake fan directly above the CPU fan, resulting
in low-twenties case temperature. :-)

Sounds like maybe you're running your cpu fan backwards, blowing into the
psu?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:20 AM
dvus

First of One wrote:
"dvus" wrote in message

Could you post a pic of your case's interior somewhere? I've been
considering doing something similar and I'm not too proud to copy a
good design.

Most Dell ATX tower PCs since the early Pentium4 days use this
design. It's a 80 mm (or wider) duct, with a 90-deg bend, out of
ventilation ducting or some PVC pipe (Home Depot). If you are cheap,
you can use cardboard:

http://www.mashie.org/casemods/pics/syrinix_03.jpg

Thanks for the link.

--
dvus

Old January 3rd 05, 11:29 AM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote

Could you post a pic of your case's interior somewhere? I've been
considering doing something similar and I'm not too proud to copy a
good design.

I used this little kit:

http://store.yahoo.com/casecooler/suovairdu.html

It's not ideal -- the pipe's a little small and not smooth inside,
and on my system, to get it to fit, I had to mount the case fan on
the outside, with the grille cut out.

It's like the bottom picture only the flow is out, not in.

You can actually try making one with aluminum tape.

This should work well since I have 2 exhaust fans on the back of my case.
One could be dedicated to pulling the air from the cpu via the use of some
form of ducting.

--
dvus

Old January 3rd 05, 11:32 AM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote
A friend just left me an AST Adventure! 410 that needs help and it's
quite unique. You actually have to take the cover and bottom of the
thing off to remove add-in cards. I'm searching for the CMOS
clearing jumper because I think the battery went dead and screwed up
the bios. Damn thing has mostly ISA slots and no AGP.

It doesn't seem like so long ago when we had mixed pci and isa, and
didn't want to throw out our isa cards.

Yeah, I remember being very cautious when a mobo I was considering had 5 PCI
& 1 AGP slot but no ISA's. It worked out fine, of course, but things like
that sometimes go against the grain.

--
dvus