6600GT and needed power supply

Old January 2nd 05, 02:43 AM
Ed Light

"First of One" wrote in message
I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the intake
fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard. The PSU may
overheat without any air intake.

Some do have openings on the back(front?) inside, so if you covered the
bottom fanit would then work -- but you could just get a 1-fan psu with the
fan on the back. Those 2-fan units with an opening on the back/front inside
can blow hot air out it back into the pc and cook the CD unit if the bottom
fan is working.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:41 AM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"First of One" wrote in message

I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the
intake fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard.
The PSU may overheat without any air intake.

Some do have openings on the back(front?) inside, so if you covered
the bottom fanit would then work -- but you could just get a 1-fan
psu with the fan on the back. Those 2-fan units with an opening on
the back/front inside can blow hot air out it back into the pc and
cook the CD unit if the bottom fan is working.

Flip the fans?

--
dvus

Old January 2nd 05, 03:42 AM
dvus

Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few PSUs!

--
dvus

Old January 2nd 05, 03:51 AM
Mac Cool

dvus:

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few PSUs!

I'm not sure of the motivation behind the proprietary case and PS, except
maybe to discourage mass production counterfeit Dells, or perhaps to
prevent people from swapping out the PS for a cheap one when they sell the
box. Whatever the reason, I heard they stopped shortly after I bought my
Dell.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 2nd 05, 03:52 AM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:
"First of One" wrote in message

I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the
intake fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard.
The PSU may overheat without any air intake.

Some do have openings on the back(front?) inside, so if you covered
the bottom fanit would then work -- but you could just get a 1-fan
psu with the fan on the back. Those 2-fan units with an opening on
the back/front inside can blow hot air out it back into the pc and
cook the CD unit if the bottom fan is working.

Flip the fans?

Not sure what you mean.

outside|fan opening| pc interior
bottom fan

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:53 AM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote in message
Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few PSUs!

I'll bet replacement motherboards are hideously expensive.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:46 AM
First of One

I'm pretty sure the fan facing the interior is actually an intake fan,
designed to suck the hot air inside a PC base to the outside *through* the
PSU.

Old January 2nd 05, 07:11 AM
Ed Light

"First of One" wrote in message
I'm pretty sure the fan facing the interior is actually an intake fan,
designed to suck the hot air inside a PC base to the outside *through* the
PSU.

One I had was like this:
On the back of the pc, there was a psu fan blowing out.
On the bottom of the psu was a fan sucking into the psu.
On the inside end of the psu where the wires come out it was quite
perforated, and the air sucked into the psu by the bottom fan was partly
blown out again there, back into the pc, frying the adjacent CD drive.
Without the perforations by the wires, it would have cleanly sucked air into
the psu and blown it all out the back.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 07:39 AM
First of One

That's just bad design. Intentionally perforating a shroud, WTF? Any, the
perforations would still be facing the CD drive if the PSU were installed
"backwards".

My 400W Antec has a 90 mm intake and an 80 mm exhaust fan, without any
perforations on the enclosure. The air coming out the back is actually very
warm, meaning the fans are doing their job.

Old January 2nd 05, 10:21 AM
Ed Light

"First of One" wrote in message
That's just bad design. Intentionally perforating a shroud, WTF? Any, the
perforations would still be facing the CD drive if the PSU were installed
"backwards".

My 400W Antec has a 90 mm intake and an 80 mm exhaust fan, without any
perforations on the enclosure. The air coming out the back is actually
very
warm, meaning the fans are doing their job.

I presently have a 1-fan Antec. When I upgrade I'll get a psu with one big
bottom fan.

My psu has very little incoming heat to cope with as I run my hsf fanless
with a duct between it and the case fan, which vacuums all the cpu heat out
the back. As a result my system temp stays in the high teens, low 20's.

Once you do this it's hard to imagine going back.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\