6600GT and needed power supply

Old December 29th 04, 12:20 AM
PRIVATE1964

It's possible (I haven't researched it) that Dell has a patent on the
connector configuration.

I was thinking that if it was my Dell, I would measure all the voltages and get
a pin out for the connector. Then cut the connector off and solder it back on
to a female ATX connector the proper way it should be and that would be an
adapter.
Old December 29th 04, 12:30 AM
Ed Light

There is a website that sells Dell compatible supplies

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...ector/dell.htm

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 29th 04, 01:32 AM
PRIVATE1964

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...ector/dell.htm

Sure are expensive, it must be the gold plated Molex connectors.
Old December 29th 04, 04:56 AM

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
pcpowercooling.com ?

It sells a "Turbo-Cool 425 Dell Deluxe" (for Dell Dimension 4500)
for $149. :^(

Yes, I think that is the website I was thinking of...Thanks.

I wonder why no one has invented an adapter for the Dell motherboards

so you
can use any ATX supply. Isn't the only difference the pin placement?

Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply converter
for $13.95.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
doesn't work on my machine.

Old December 29th 04, 02:10 PM
PRIVATE1964

Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply converter
for $13.95.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
doesn't work on my machine.

Welcome,
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I didn't know someone was actually
selling them though. I would make sure it will work with all standard ATX
supplies before buying it. They make it sound like it will only work with their
supply, and then you would be right back to square one again.
Old December 30th 04, 12:06 PM
dvus

PRIVATE1964 wrote:

Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply
converter for $13.95.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
doesn't work on my machine.

Welcome,
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I didn't know someone was
actually selling them though. I would make sure it will work with all
standard ATX supplies before buying it. They make it sound like it
will only work with their supply, and then you would be right back to
square one again.

Well, it says:

"This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to the
standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into the
equivalent of a Dell power supply.",

so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.

--
dvus

Old December 30th 04, 02:23 PM
Mac Cool

dvus:
"This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to
the standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into
the equivalent of a Dell power supply.",

so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.

Some Dell power supplies are physically backwards from ATX supplies,
meaning ATX won't fit into a Dell case. Supposeably they stopped this 2-3
years ago, my Dell is 3 years old (4550) and the power supply is
backwards.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 1st 05, 04:28 PM
dvus

Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

"This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to
the standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into
the equivalent of a Dell power supply.",

so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.

Some Dell power supplies are physically backwards from ATX supplies,
meaning ATX won't fit into a Dell case. Supposeably they stopped this
2-3 years ago, my Dell is 3 years old (4550) and the power supply is
backwards.

What do you mean by "backwards"? The line voltage must plug into the "back"
and the output is at the end of power cables. I suppose it could be that the
mounting holes and 120VAC input on a standard PSU don't coincide with those
in the Dell case, but surely that could be remedied.

--
dvus

Old January 1st 05, 10:53 PM
First of One

I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the intake
fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard. The PSU may
overheat without any air intake.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:16 AM
Mac Cool

dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A normal
ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new holes for the
power plug, switch and fan.
--
Mac Cool