6600GT and needed power supply

Old December 27th 04, 09:14 PM

A month ago I asked a question to this group regarding the
best value GeForce card and was told it'd be 6600GT (NV43).
Since then I've been waiting for a good price of this card
until I came across this thread and realized that power
supply could be a problem for me. My machine is a Dell
Dimension 4500 (P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory). According to
Dell web site, the power supply is 250W. Is 6600GT too
much of a stretch for me? How about 5900XT (NV35)?

Old December 28th 04, 12:19 AM
Ed Light

wrote in message
oups.com...
A month ago I asked a question to this group regarding the
best value GeForce card and was told it'd be 6600GT (NV43).
Since then I've been waiting for a good price of this card
until I came across this thread and realized that power
supply could be a problem for me. My machine is a Dell
Dimension 4500 (P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory). According to
Dell web site, the power supply is 250W. Is 6600GT too
much of a stretch for me? How about 5900XT (NV35)?

When you take the case off, can you see the ratings on the side of the power
supply? What are the amps for 12v, 5v, and 3.3v, and does it say what the
amps are for 5 + 3.3v?

For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
3.3v = 28a
5v = 30a
12v = 15a

whereas a cheap one might be
3.3v = 20a
5v = 25a
12v = 12a

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 28th 04, 01:38 AM
PRIVATE1964

For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
3.3v = 28a
5v = 30a
12v = 15a

whereas a cheap one might be
3.3v = 20a
5v = 25a
12v = 12a

What is your opinion on an Antec 330 TruePower running a 6600GT? I think it
will be all right I'm just looking for another opinion. Sooner ot later the
6600GT is my next card.

330 True Rails

+3.3 = 28
+5v = 30
+12v = 22

-------------------------------
System Specs

2500+ Barton on an Abit NF7-S
512 Megs 3200

2 Hard Drives - (7200rpm) & (5400rpm)

1 52X CD-RW
1CDROM 32X

Geforce 4 - 4200 128 Megs

Running 8 cooling fans, not counting the 2 PS fans.

Old December 28th 04, 01:55 AM
Ed Light

The 6600GT pci-e pulls almost all it's current from the 12v, and that would
have plenty.
On my similar system, if the agp bridge pulled alot from the 5v I'd be right
at or past the limit.

Here are the sites to use to figure it out:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...00gt-oc_3.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture...able-b.gif&1=1

I'm waiting for xbit to measure an agp 6600GT.

I've got an Antec SL300, 2200+ amd mobile as a 2800+, 2 512 pc2700, 2 7200
hd's, sound blaster live value, slow speed fans.

I know I'll be ok if the agp doesn't add alot to the 5v.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 28th 04, 04:49 AM

Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are

3.3v = 18a
5v = 22a
12v = 14a

Would 5900XT work?

Ed Light wrote:
oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 05:42 AM
Ed Light

wrote in message
ps.com...
Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are

3.3v = 18a
5v = 22a
12v = 14a

Would 5900XT work?

Here's the article with the power consumption:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-nv-power.html

So, using the calculator:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

You could figure it out, except they don't list that card. :-(

Maybe someone else knows.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 28th 04, 05:45 AM
PRIVATE1964

Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are

3.3v = 18a
5v = 22a
12v = 14a

Would 5900XT work?

I'm sorry to jump in here, but if you don't have enough for a 6600GT your
certainly won't have enough for a 5900XT as far as I know.
The power requirement is actually lower for the 6600GT then most of the other
fast video cards such as 5900, 6800, 9800Pro etc....etc. I'm going by some
reviews I have read for the 6600GT which mentioned a power requirement of 300
watts. Most of the other cards are around 350 watts.
Old December 28th 04, 05:47 AM
PRIVATE1964

The 6600GT pci-e pulls almost all it's current from the 12v, and that would
have plenty.
On my similar system, if the agp bridge pulled alot from the 5v I'd be right
at or past the limit.

Here are the sites to use to figure it out:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...00gt-oc_3.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture...orce6600gt-oc/

6600gt_power_table-b.gif&1=1

I'm waiting for xbit to measure an agp 6600GT.

I've got an Antec SL300, 2200+ amd mobile as a 2800+, 2 512 pc2700, 2 7200
hd's, sound blaster live value, slow speed fans.

I know I'll be ok if the agp doesn't add alot to the 5v.

What rail does the AGP version of the 6600GT pull from the most +12 or +5, It
must also pull some current from the +3.3 right? Thanks.
Old December 28th 04, 06:30 AM

Thank you both very much! I tried the calculator. My machine
would seem to work, though barely. Also, according to this guy

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...0b2d73aa943a72

5900XT would work (his system is similar to mine).

So, I am going to give 6600GT a try. If newegg won't take it
back, I just sell it on eBay.

Old December 28th 04, 07:04 AM
PRIVATE1964

Thank you both very much! I tried the calculator. My machine
would seem to work, though barely. Also, according to this guy

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ards.ati/msg/3

50b2d73aa943a72

5900XT would work (his system is similar to mine).

So, I am going to give 6600GT a try. If newegg won't take it
back, I just sell it on eBay.

Your using a Dell right? Worst case you could just get a Dell replacement
supply they can be little bit more expensive then a normal ATX supply though.
I think your taking a chance with either card with that low of a supply, but
Good Luck anyway I hope it works out for you.