Ti4400 KILLS 6600GT in some games?

Old January 5th 05, 12:47 AM
John

Default Ti4400 KILLS 6600GT in some games?

Some weird thing is happening. My 6600GT seem to lag in Counter-Strike
source with medium quality 1204x768 32bit@75Hz. My GeForce Ti4400 just
runs the game smoothly with the same specs. Why is that? I tought
buying the 6600GT would runs CS Source so smootlhy but gets beat by a
Ti4400 this is ridiculous there must be some kind of problem behind
this. Does anyone have an idea?

Old January 5th 05, 07:01 AM
DaveL

You should download a benchmark program like 3dmark03 and test them to get
more concrete facts.

DaveL

oups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 07:08 AM
John

I already benchmarked it.It is evident that the 6600GT is way much
better but somehow my Ti4400 was giving better results in CS: Source
and I'm wondering why

Old January 5th 05, 10:25 AM
Michael Fuchs

Well, perhaps it is the Direct X Level?

The TI 4400 runs with Direct X 8 (or 8.1) the game. The 6600 GT run the game
with DX 9. There is a quality improvement (My 6800 runs CS:S smoothly in
1024*768)

oups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 10:44 AM
Larry Roberts

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:01:17 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

You should download a benchmark program like 3dmark03 and test them to get
more concrete facts.

DaveL

He didn't say the Ti4400 was a better card than the 6600GT. He
said he got better performance from the Ti4400 in Counter Strike
"Source", and was wondering why.
Old January 5th 05, 01:17 PM
Si

Michael Fuchs wrote:
Well, perhaps it is the Direct X Level?

The TI 4400 runs with Direct X 8 (or 8.1) the game. The 6600 GT run the game
with DX 9. There is a quality improvement (My 6800 runs CS:S smoothly in
1024*768)

I would hope it does, my 6600GT runs CS:S at 1600x1200 smoothly with
everything turned up. maybe I dont have a problem after all. Still like
to know the answer to my PCI mode question though.

Si
Old January 5th 05, 07:47 PM
Neil J Bundy

In message .com, John
writes
Some weird thing is happening. My 6600GT seem to lag in Counter-Strike
source with medium quality 1204x768 32bit@75Hz. My GeForce Ti4400 just
runs the game smoothly with the same specs. Why is that? I tought
buying the 6600GT would runs CS Source so smootlhy but gets beat by a
Ti4400 this is ridiculous there must be some kind of problem behind
this. Does anyone have an idea?

I noticed on one of the Techie sites that someone had similar problems,
and they were solved by upping their AGP aperture in the BIOS to 256MB.
Obviously this depends on you having a reasonable amount of available
RAM to make available for the AGP, but may be worth a try. I'm assuming
you bought the AGP version of the 6600GT.

Good luck,

Neil.
--
Neil J Bundy
Old January 5th 05, 10:41 PM
Friendly Guru

"Neil J Bundy" wrote in message
In message .com, John
writes
Some weird thing is happening. My 6600GT seem to lag in Counter-Strike
source with medium quality 1204x768 32bit@75Hz. My GeForce Ti4400 just
runs the game smoothly with the same specs. Why is that? I tought
buying the 6600GT would runs CS Source so smootlhy but gets beat by a
Ti4400 this is ridiculous there must be some kind of problem behind
this. Does anyone have an idea?

I noticed on one of the Techie sites that someone had similar problems,
and they were solved by upping their AGP aperture in the BIOS to 256MB.
Obviously this depends on you having a reasonable amount of available
RAM to make available for the AGP, but may be worth a try. I'm assuming
you bought the AGP version of the 6600GT.

I hate to contribute in a negative fashion, but there is apparantly still a
great deal of misinformation about the AGP aperture setting.

It is not a mechanism to *force* or even *allocate* system memory to be used
by a video card.

In fact, the AGP aperture size setting only adjusts the size of the memory
space assigned to the index table we call GART. (Which maps messy video card
memory into a nice, clean block for the application to use efficiently.)

Modern cards do not need the user to waste OS memory space by allocating
more than is required for their 128M or 256M card, which is a setting of 64.
Beware, setting below 16 forces AGP1x mode in certain BIOSes.

The OP will not be helped by this info regrettably.

Old January 6th 05, 12:14 AM
Robert Hancock

John wrote:
Some weird thing is happening. My 6600GT seem to lag in Counter-Strike
source with medium quality 1204x768 32bit@75Hz. My GeForce Ti4400 just
runs the game smoothly with the same specs. Why is that? I tought
buying the 6600GT would runs CS Source so smootlhy but gets beat by a
Ti4400 this is ridiculous there must be some kind of problem behind
this. Does anyone have an idea?

The 6600GT will support certain effects (DX9) that the HL2 engine wants
to use that the Ti4400 doesn't. Likely the game is effectively running
at higher detail on the 6600GT.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old January 6th 05, 03:43 AM
John

Yea but how fast is your CPU and is your card PCI-E of AGP I got AGP8X