9800pro vs 6600gt?

Old November 29th 04, 04:35 AM
John Smith

Default 9800pro vs 6600gt?

Which one will play HL2 better on my P4, 2GIG, 768RD MEM, Dell 8200?

Old November 29th 04, 10:46 AM
Conor

In article , John Smith
says...
Which one will play HL2 better on my P4, 2GIG, 768RD MEM, Dell 8200?

6600 GT if you can find one.

--
Conor

Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
first.
It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
shot first.
Old November 29th 04, 02:44 PM
NightSky 421

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..

6600 GT if you can find one.

Probably so, although I would think a 2GHz CPU would be somewhat of a
limiting factor towards seeing either card at it's full potential.

Old November 30th 04, 01:17 AM
tq96

6600 GT if you can find one.

Probably so, although I would think a 2GHz CPU would be somewhat of a
limiting factor towards seeing either card at it's full potential.

9800pro is fairly old (1.5 years?) What was the average speed of an
enthusiast CPU back when the 9800pro was introduced to the market?
Old November 30th 04, 01:38 AM
JLC

"tq96" wrote in message
6600 GT if you can find one.

Probably so, although I would think a 2GHz CPU would be somewhat of a
limiting factor towards seeing either card at it's full potential.

9800pro is fairly old (1.5 years?) What was the average speed of an
enthusiast CPU back when the 9800pro was introduced to the market?

If I recall correctly the 9800Pro is CPU bound tell it's paired with a
2.5GHz or higher CPU. I might be wrong about this, I just remember reading
that a long time ago. JLC

Old November 30th 04, 07:13 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"JLC" wrote in message

"tq96" wrote in message
6600 GT if you can find one.

Probably so, although I would think a 2GHz CPU would be somewhat of a
limiting factor towards seeing either card at it's full potential.

9800pro is fairly old (1.5 years?) What was the average speed of an
enthusiast CPU back when the 9800pro was introduced to the market?

If I recall correctly the 9800Pro is CPU bound tell it's paired with a
2.5GHz or higher CPU. I might be wrong about this, I just remember reading
that a long time ago. JLC

That sounds about right...

Old November 30th 04, 09:59 AM
Bobby

Doesn't it depend on the type of CPU as well?

I'm sure that a Pentium 4 (Prescott) above 2.5Ghz would feed the card OK but
I don't think that a Celeron (at any speed) would.

And what about Athlon 64-bit CPUs? These are clocked relatively low (the
3000+ model has a clock speed of 2.1Ghz IIRC) but I presume that these would
feed these cards?

Bobby

Old November 30th 04, 03:06 PM
NightSky 421

"tq96" wrote in message

9800pro is fairly old (1.5 years?) What was the average speed of an
enthusiast CPU back when the 9800pro was introduced to the market?

Something in the range of 2.4GHz to 2.6GHz, on the Pentium 4 end of things.

Old December 1st 04, 10:47 AM
...D.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:35:15 -0800, "John Smith"
wrote:
Which one will play HL2 better on my P4, 2GIG, 768RD MEM, Dell 8200?

Well since this is cross posted to the nVidia group too you must have seen
this link showing benchmarks with about 8 different games between the 9800
pro & the 6600GT.

Actually the 6800GT was in the mix too & is better than the 6600GT, but
your talking maybe twice the cost. The older nVidia standard 59xx
something was in the mix too. Didn't do so well comparably.

The tests were for the new 6600GT AGP. The 6600GT ATI Expresses came out
1st. Are a bit more inexpensive than the AGP. AGP will come down as they
are so new. The 6600GT AGP beat the 9800 Pro. Not all games I remind
you. But more than not. & it seemed to me that when it did out perform
the 9800 Pro, it was by a larger margin than when the 9800 Pro beat the
6600GT. Except one game. One game gives the NVidia engines fits. Check
out the test. Also, the 9800 Pro, whether winning or losing in most
cases, is better suited for 1024 x 768 vs the 6600GT. Higher resolutions
seemed to favor the 6600GT. Of course I'll input again if you can get a
6800GT, that's the card to get. More functions too than just game
playing. Some kind of built-in video-something-or-other editing burning I
don't know - an all around card. I believe the 6800GTs have 256 MBs not
the 128 MBs that the 6600GT & 9800Pro have,

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...119/index.html

...D.
Old December 2nd 04, 04:27 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Bobby" wrote in message
Doesn't it depend on the type of CPU as well?

Sure. But it's pretty obvious that any equivalent CPU will have similar
results...

I'm sure that a Pentium 4 (Prescott) above 2.5Ghz would feed the card OK

but
I don't think that a Celeron (at any speed) would.

At that point, I don't think either the CPU or the video card are the
bottleneck; cache+memory bus bandwidth+latencies play a deciding role in the
final picture too. The nicest thing about Celerons (prolly the only one!) is
they can be overclocked a bit. And the Celeron Ds aren't too bad, and
they're cheap, and they overclock well...

And what about Athlon 64-bit CPUs? These are clocked relatively low (the
3000+ model has a clock speed of 2.1Ghz IIRC) but I presume that these

would
feed these cards?

Oh, sure! Very well, too...see above...