Modem not working properly with Network Card Installed

Old May 4th 04, 09:53 AM
Zilog Jones

Default Modem not working properly with Network Card Installed

I recently installed a network card in my PC, but now my modem doesn't
want to work properly!

It dials and makes all the
"blblbbjlbjlbjlbjlbblblbljbjbjbjbjjjjjlbjlbjlb bj" (that's the closest
way I could think of interpreting it in romanic characters) noises as
usual, but instead of coming up with the usual "verifying user name
and password" it just does nothing for a couple of seconds and comes
up with something like "retrying in 5 seconds", and keeps doing this.

The only way I can get it to work again is if I actually physically
remove the network card. I tried changing PCI slots, uninstalling
drivers, disabling the NIC, but the modem still won't work!

It's some crappy-ass Agere (who used to be Lucent, who used to be
someone else) 56k PCI software modem, and a Netgear NIC, and I'm using
Win2k Pro. The NIC isn't actually connected to anything yet. The ISP
I'm using doesn't use proxys or any other weird things, but I think it
assigns IP's randomly - it's a "free" ISP were you just pay local call
rates (we usually pay normally for local calls in Ireland unlike in
the US), and you just enter a generic username and password.
Old May 4th 04, 02:18 PM
kony

On 4 May 2004 01:53:14 -0700, (Zilog
Jones) wrote:

I recently installed a network card in my PC, but now my modem doesn't
want to work properly!

It dials and makes all the
"blblbbjlbjlbjlbjlbblblbljbjbjbjbjjjjjlbjlbjlbb j"

LOL.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/modemlog2k.asp

The only way I can get it to work again is if I actually physically
remove the network card. I tried changing PCI slots, uninstalling
drivers, disabling the NIC, but the modem still won't work!

You tried changing only the NIC's slot or also the modem?
What motherboard/chipset?

It's some crappy-ass Agere (who used to be Lucent, who used to be
someone else) 56k PCI software modem,

I dunno, if I HAD to have a winmodem it'd be an Agere or 3Com, either are
generally pretty good providing the system isn't ancient, too slow for a
winmodem, like 300MHz CPU w/MMX. Agere/Lucent has produced a lot of
drivers over the years, I suggest trying newest version, and at least one
other, several versions different (not newest and 2nd-most-recent).

and a Netgear NIC, and I'm using
Win2k Pro. The NIC isn't actually connected to anything yet.

Frankly the first thing I'd try is a different NIC, if shuffling both
card's slots and drivers don't make a difference.

The ISP
I'm using doesn't use proxys or any other weird things, but I think it
assigns IP's randomly - it's a "free" ISP were you just pay local call
rates (we usually pay normally for local calls in Ireland unlike in
the US), and you just enter a generic username and password.

Shouldn't matter whether IP is from a pool but pseudo-random, not fixed,
but AFAIK they are always that way on dialup access.

Old May 5th 04, 03:13 PM
Zilog Jones

Jones) wrote:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/modemlog2k.asp

I'll try making a log then. I think the "append" thing wasn't on...

You tried changing only the NIC's slot or also the modem?
What motherboard/chipset?

No, I only tried moving the NIC. You think it's a hardware conflict
then?

It's a Gigabyte 6VX7-4X mobo (socket 370 - yeah, it's a bit old) with
a VIA Apollo Pro chipset. I think I got all the latest (probably
mostly final at this stage) drivers for that, and got the final BIOS
update.

I dunno, if I HAD to have a winmodem it'd be an Agere or 3Com, either are
generally pretty good providing the system isn't ancient, too slow for a
winmodem, like 300MHz CPU w/MMX. Agere/Lucent has produced a lot of
drivers over the years, I suggest trying newest version, and at least one
other, several versions different (not newest and 2nd-most-recent).

Maybe it isn't that bad then. I thought they were very generic, but
that might not be a bad thing. I got new drivers when I installed
Win2k the end of last year, but I'll try new ones. I never had any
problems with it until I installed the NIC - I bought it either last
year or the year before.

What about drivers for the NIC? I have the ones on the disk that came
with it (I think it's a Netgear FA331, or something like that), but
can't see any for it on their website.

and a Netgear NIC, and I'm using
Win2k Pro. The NIC isn't actually connected to anything yet.

Frankly the first thing I'd try is a different NIC, if shuffling both
card's slots and drivers don't make a difference.

Yeah, luckily I have a D-Link NIC in another PC (which doesn't have a
modem) - I'll try that.

The ISP
I'm using doesn't use proxys or any other weird things, but I think it
assigns IP's randomly - it's a "free" ISP were you just pay local call
rates (we usually pay normally for local calls in Ireland unlike in
the US), and you just enter a generic username and password.

Shouldn't matter whether IP is from a pool but pseudo-random, not fixed,
but AFAIK they are always that way on dialup access.

Oh. I really don't know much about IPs and networks - I just thought
it could have been a factor as Windows probably assigned some geberic
IP for use with the NIC.

I'll try the new modem drivers, the other NIC, and some more different
PCI slot combinations anyway. Thanks for the advice!

FrontTech Sound Card NOT Working ?. Please Advice Sriram General 4 April 25th 04 03:57 PM
Network Card Probs... evil General 6 February 26th 04 01:43 PM
Wireless Network Card On Win98 Not Working Gary Brown General 2 December 12th 03 11:32 AM
name of cable from DSL modem to network card ? Marcel Verduyn General 4 October 21st 03 05:57 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM