Network Card Probs...

Old February 25th 04, 09:15 AM
evil

Default Network Card Probs...

Hi All... wondering if anyone has any clues about the following;

Mate's puter has probs with his network card (Netcomm I think... it's a
realtek chipset of some type), this is what happens;

1. Card stops working, computer doesn't detect card, no 'link' light on
card. Computer doesn't show any error message or anything, it simply doesn't
detect the card.
2. I change the PCI slot where the network card is plugged = computer
detects card and everything works good until....
3. A couple of reboots later exactly the same thing happens

We've swapped the network card with another known to work reliably but have
the same problem. I'm assuming this might be something to do with the
motherboard... but no there's no sign of conflicts or any such thing...
Motherboard's a AOpen KT266 I think. Puter's running windoze xp with all
hotpatches etc.

Any theories out there? I'm just about out of ideas...

cheers in advance
loic.

Old February 25th 04, 01:58 PM
Joris Dobbelsteen

Seems like a unreliable motherboard. You'd rather try another system to see
if the problem is the same, with the Netcomm card.
If it does, try to get another motherboard (personally I'm very against
AOpen, I had some bad experiences with it, worse motherboard and a CD-ROM
making the same noise (including level) as a boeing 747).

Next we had a failing motherboard, where Win2k actually was more reliable
than WinXP. This made no difference, both didn't work correctly and a
motherboard replacement solved all issues...

- Joris

Old February 26th 04, 02:54 AM
w_tom

This is why a responsible manufacturer provided diagnostics
- for free. Diagnostics remove the OS as a potential reason
for failure; simplify analysis. Diagnostic first tests,
comprehensively, computer hardware talking to local network
card's 'logic'. Next two computers (must be same NIC
manufacturer) exchange data continuously to test on a worst
case basis.

Had a working network card that only failed after
diagnostic's data exchange ran for minutes - constantly. IOW
diagnostic discovered by computer had to be periodically
rebooted. Manufacturer's diagnostic is should be executed
before doing anything else.

Second, heat is a tool for locating an intermittent part.
For example, while running that diagnostic constantly, then
selectively heat NIC or motherboard ICs with hairdryer on
high. That heat is quite normal operating temperature for
semiconductors AND may turn an intermittent failure into a
hard failure - only while hot. Heat is a powerful tool to
isolate reason for failure. Actually, we did this test by
resting a hot soldering iron right on top of each IC. When
test failed, then IC touching soldering IC was reason for
failure or connected to defective IC. Just another tool to
locate and solve your mystery.

Old February 26th 04, 05:07 AM
wlloo

w_tom wrote in message

This is why a responsible manufacturer
provided diagnostics - for free.

Mindless pig ignorant drivel, as always from this pathetic clown.

Diagnostics remove the OS as a potential reason for failure;
simplify analysis. Diagnostic first tests, comprehensively,
computer hardware talking to local network card's 'logic'.
Next two computers (must be same NIC manufacturer)
exchange data continuously to test on a worst case basis.

Wont necessarily see the problem, clown.

Proves sweet **** all about his particular situation, clown.

IOW diagnostic discovered by computer had to be
periodically rebooted. Manufacturer's diagnostic is
should be executed before doing anything else.

Second, heat is a tool for locating an intermittent part.
For example, while running that diagnostic constantly, then
selectively heat NIC or motherboard ICs with hairdryer on
high. That heat is quite normal operating temperature for
semiconductors AND may turn an intermittent failure into a
hard failure - only while hot. Heat is a powerful tool to
isolate reason for failure. Actually, we did this test by
resting a hot soldering iron right on top of each IC. When
test failed, then IC touching soldering IC was reason for
failure or connected to defective IC. Just another tool to
locate and solve your mystery.

More utterly mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.

Old February 26th 04, 08:44 AM
Rod Speed

Nick W wrote in message
wlloo wrote

Change of name Rod?

If you're actually so stupid that you cant manage
to work out for yourself why that is done....

Old February 26th 04, 02:43 PM
Sandgroper

"evil" wrote in message
[...]

Remove the Nic , boot the computer without the Nic , then shut it down and
then install the Nic and reboot again.

--
Sandgroper