Dead computer?

Old January 31st 05, 03:08 PM

Patty wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:52:40 -0500, w_tom wrote:

Green wire tested at 1.92,

It's an input line (Power_On signal), so officially it has to be 0.8V
or less to be turned on. Grounding it will normally turn on the power
supply.

What happens when you try the motherboard with no DIMMs installed but
with the speaker connected? It should still beep.

The RAM DIMMS fit very strangly in this motherboard. You know where

those
side notches are that the clips usually clip into? Well the clips on

the
board do not reach there. As far as I can tell, the DIMMS are in the

slots
as far as they will go. I just think the whole thing is odd.

Are the notches at the same height as the bumps in the clips? If not,
then the DIMMs aren't seated. A motherboard that flexes too much can
make insertion difficult, and it may help to support it from below with
some nonconductive material, such as wood or an eraser. Some silicone
spray on the edge connectors of the DIMMs can help if the sockets are
very tight, but I'd first look for any bent pins in the sockets.
Slightly bent ones may be repairable with needle nose pliers.

Old January 31st 05, 09:45 PM
Patty

One more note... it's an old Gigabyte board... GA-686LX4, manufactured
sometime in 1998.

Patty
Old February 1st 05, 10:40 AM
w_tom

From that last post describing green wire. What happens
when power switch is pressed? How other voltages react would
have answered the question about RAM and other peripherals.

Yes it appears to take hours to do this testing. Learning
useful tools that take seconds often can take an hour to first
learn. The actual procedure described in so many posts (once
the concept is learned) requires less than two minutes.

appropriate - based upon what the meter reported. As I said,
you don't have numbers to say it was the motherboard or to
suspect anything else. Reasons for failure are still numerous
- and yet the list is about to get very short. Based upon
what you have reported, only power switch integrity appears to
be known.

When switch is pressed, then 1.98 volts must drop to less
than 0.8 volts. Does it? Other poster takes longer to do
equivalent by disconnecting the power supply and using a paper
clip. What happens to red, yellow, and orange wire voltages
in less than 2 seconds after the power switch is pressed? We
are about to identify the failed part or system.

Patty wrote:
Haven't tried that. I know it should do some long beeps if the
RAM isn't installed or seated correctly.

Tried it. No RAM -- no beeps or anything. Same reaction, fans run, on
light comes on and that's it.

Old February 1st 05, 01:24 PM
Patty

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:40:49 -0500, w_tom wrote:

From that last post describing green wire. What happens
when power switch is pressed? How other voltages react would
have answered the question about RAM and other peripherals.

Nothing, since I've not been able to test any wires with the power supply
connected to the motherboard. I can't fit the meter probes into the
backside of the connector to hit any metal from the wires to get a reading.

[...]

Nothing for the same reason as I noted above. I am NOT able to test any
wires that are connected to anything because the probes for the meter are
too large to insert on the backside of any plugs. Besides, I am so slow at
this, it takes me much longer than 2 seconds to try to get any reading of
anything. I have to hold both meter probes on a wire (they don't just stay
there by themselves), press the computer switch and with only two hands,
this is difficult for me.

Thanks.
Patty
Old February 2nd 05, 05:32 AM
Matt

Patty wrote:
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:40:49 -0500, w_tom wrote:

From that last post describing green wire. What happens
when power switch is pressed? How other voltages react would
have answered the question about RAM and other peripherals.

Nothing, since I've not been able to test any wires with the power supply
connected to the motherboard. I can't fit the meter probes into the
backside of the connector to hit any metal from the wires to get a reading.

After I and at least one other poster went to the trouble to tell you
how to do it, you are still unable?
Old February 2nd 05, 01:48 PM
Patty

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:32:58 GMT, Matt wrote:

Patty wrote:
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:40:49 -0500, w_tom wrote:

From that last post describing green wire. What happens
when power switch is pressed? How other voltages react would
have answered the question about RAM and other peripherals.

Nothing, since I've not been able to test any wires with the power supply
connected to the motherboard. I can't fit the meter probes into the
backside of the connector to hit any metal from the wires to get a reading.

After I and at least one other poster went to the trouble to tell you
how to do it, you are still unable?

Sticking paper clips into the #13 and #14 or 15 pin? But it's still not
connected to the board that way, is it? I tried sticking a paper clip into
the backside of the plug while it was plugged into the board and that
didn't work well. I don't want to screw up my perfectly good power supply
by messing up the wires in the plug by cramming paper clips in all over the
place.

Patty
Old February 3rd 05, 12:58 AM
David Maynard

Patty wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:40:49 -0500, w_tom wrote:

From that last post describing green wire. What happens
[...]

You're over complicating it. All the voltages are relative to ground (the
black wires) so you find a nice convenient ground location and connect the
negative (black) of your meter to it (the black wire on a hard drive
connector is a good spot and the probe tip usually just goes right into the
open end). Then you just need to probe the wire in question with the meter
positive lead. Your problem is getting to the 'backside' of the power
connector when it's plugged in, which is where the paper clip comes in. You
can try holding the paper clip onto the meter probe and touch the other end
to the wire in question or, what I do is get a jumper wire with alligator
clips on each end (radio shack has them) and clip one alligator onto the
probe tip and the other to the paper clip. Then you use the paper clip as a
probe (or any other small enough conductive object).

Old February 3rd 05, 01:00 AM
JJO

A tester such as the following is not only cheap but very easy to use. I am
not sure if it was suggested but for what it's worth, I'll add this link.

http://www.atruereview.com/powersupply_tester/index.php

Regards,
John O.

.. .

Patty wrote:

From that last post describing green wire. What happens

Old February 3rd 05, 02:43 AM
Patty

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:58:39 -0600, David Maynard wrote:

You're over complicating it. All the voltages are relative to ground (the
black wires) so you find a nice convenient ground location and connect the
negative (black) of your meter to it (the black wire on a hard drive
connector is a good spot and the probe tip usually just goes right into the
open end). Then you just need to probe the wire in question with the meter
positive lead. Your problem is getting to the 'backside' of the power
connector when it's plugged in, which is where the paper clip comes in. You
can try holding the paper clip onto the meter probe and touch the other end
to the wire in question or, what I do is get a jumper wire with alligator
clips on each end (radio shack has them) and clip one alligator onto the
probe tip and the other to the paper clip. Then you use the paper clip as a
probe (or any other small enough conductive object).

Tonight I thought about just using black electrical tape and taping a
paperclip to the probe to make it longer and thinner. You think that would
work?

Patty