Newbi: Requesting suggestions for computer cases......

Old December 1st 04, 02:08 AM
Terabyte

Default Newbi: Requesting suggestions for computer cases......

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Any suggestions?

If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!

Thanks!

Old December 1st 04, 04:16 AM
Mac Cool

Lian Li: PC-V2000A, PC-V1000, PC70,
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SNA
AMS gTower CF-1009SW
--
Mac Cool
Old December 1st 04, 05:37 AM

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Nice search features at the sites below:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=7&DEPA=1
http://www.insight.com/ Look under Hardware, System Cabinets
Then use the filters on the left to narrow down the cases with
the features you want.

Good prices:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=32

Was a good site once upon a time:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041020/index.html

--
If it's spam, it's a scam! Don't do business with net-abusers.
http://mbdynip.dyndns.org/html/mboard/

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt mini-FAQ available at:
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-gro....pc-homebuilt/
Old December 1st 04, 07:44 AM
DJS0302

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Any suggestions?

If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!

Thanks!

I chose Antec for my first computer case and I would definitely choose the same
brand again. The thing is built like a tank.
Old December 1st 04, 08:31 AM
none

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:08:05 -0500, "Terabyte"
wrote:

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Any suggestions?

If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!

Thanks!

I do video editing myself and have several machines that I've built
for various aspects of the post process.
I however like to scavenge for my parts and have a couple of really
large server towers that I got from the curb that I'm using for a
server farm that I'm working on.
If you want to go that way it can definetly be cheaper and give you a
commercial grade box with plenty of room for expansion.
(Both of mine have really big casters for mobility. The one I'm
working on currently is just under 4-1/2 feet tall with a foot of
clearance internally width wise to allow stacking of some pretty big
mobos. Very heavy steel gage as well with four large cooling fans up
top for good air flow.)
If you're game try searching around commercial offices or computer
service facilities in you area.
I had to pass up several monolith router towers some months back
because I couldn't get my hands on a trailer in time to get them off
the street corner.
They stood nearly 7 feet high and were at least 4 feet wide with two
feet or so depth. And they all still had their power supplies and
thousands of usb cables and hub banks.
Heavy steel with double swing out doors much like storage lockers.
I felt sick for weeks at missing out on that one.(I did manage to pull
about 300 or so usb cables of varying length from 12 inches to 3 feet
and a few really big power supplies.)

While you might prefer the ease of buying, scavenging can often get
you better gear at a price you can't beat.
Old December 1st 04, 05:07 PM
Stephen

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:08:05 -0500, "Terabyte"
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Any suggestions?

If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!

Thanks!

It's not fancy and it has no problem with cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...182-545&depa=0

Stephen

Old December 1st 04, 11:42 PM
larrymoencurly

"Terabyte" wrote in message ...

Currently I am looking at computer cases. I want a full
tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat.

Aluminum makes no difference, but size helps.

I want lots of room to grow into the box.

Get something that measures at least 19" from front to back or else
any 5.25" drives (CD, DVD) will overlap the larger mobos. While you
can install those drives above the mobo in taller cases, that can mean
needing an IDE cable that's longer than the recommended 18" max.

If there is a web site that I can checkout

www.newegg.com - lots of PSUs, too
www.directron.com - lots of PSUs, too
www.dealsonic.com
www.pcdirect.com
www.fatwallet.com - forum about hot deals
http://newspaperads.dfw.com - look under "computers" and "Fry's"

If you live near a Fry's Electronics (www.outpost.com, but prices are
typically different for sale items), check the Wednesday and Friday
newspapers for their ads because they often have a case for $5-25
after rebate (last Friday it as an Antec SK1600 w/ 300W Antec PSU).
If the PSU included with the case is junk (it usually is), get a
Fortron-Source PSU (many brands, including Sparkle, Hi-Q, and PowerQ)
from NewEgg or Directron because you don't want to risk damaging your
equipment, and it's sometimes cheaper to buy a cheap case with a junk
PSU and a separate quality PSU than to buy a case with a quality PSU.
Old December 9th 04, 11:11 PM
Matt

larrymoencurly wrote:
"Terabyte" wrote in message ...

Currently I am looking at computer cases. I want a full
tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat.

Aluminum makes no difference, but size helps.

Size doesn't help much in dissipating heat, if that is your claim.