VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card

Old May 20th 04, 09:42 AM
larrymoencurly

Default VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card

What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?

I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
(other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With every
other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you do
it?
Old May 20th 04, 04:38 PM
JAD

in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS installed?
to NO

sometimes this will fix it.

om...

Old May 21st 04, 04:30 AM
Kent_Diego

I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB) and G510
wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card no matter which PCI
slot I used. The card worked fine in other computer. The box says requires
32 bit PCI slot. I thought they were all 32 bit. I have never seen anything
like it.

-Kent

Old May 21st 04, 07:16 AM
larrymoencurly

"JAD" jde wrote in message ...

I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
(other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
every other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs
fine, including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS
installed? to NO

sometimes this will fix it.

It didn't help.
This VA-503+ can sometimes be one wierd mobo.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:48 PM
larrymoencurly

"John" wrote in message ...

no matter how I installed or uninstalled the driver software,
what PCI slot I used (other slots empty, how I configured the
BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1 driver software I installed -- but
only with the VA-503+. With every other mobo I have, new
and old, the D-Link card installs fine,

what version windows ?

98SE (D-Link says 98SE, 2000, and XP are supported), but the card
works fine with 98 in an Intel 810i mobo and even a 75 MHz SiS mobo
(that one's so old that it has tail fins).

what does the dlink web faq say ?

Not much.
Old May 26th 04, 12:37 PM
larrymoencurly

"Kent_Diego" wrote in message news:NJerc.58$wa.6@fed1read07...

I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB)
and G510 wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card
no matter which PCI slot I used. The card worked fine in other
computer.

That's wierd because that card worked fine in my Soyo 6BB v. 1.0,
based on the same Intel 440BX chipset.

The wierdest incompatibility I ever experienced was with a VIA-based
USB 2.0 USB card that caused my VIA-based VA-503+ (made by FIC, owned
by the same parent company as VIA) to act dead. I thought that it was
caused by the card's use of 2.5V instead of the usual 3.3V (advertised
as 3.3V tolerant), but it worked fine in an older VIA-based mobo and
even an SiS mobo so old that it had no DIMM or USB support (the G510
wireless card was fine in it).
Old May 29th 04, 02:56 AM
farmuse

larrymoencurly wrote:
"Kent_Diego" wrote in message news:NJerc.58$wa.6@fed1read07...

I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB)
and G510 wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card
no matter which PCI slot I used. The card worked fine in other
computer.

That's wierd because that card worked fine in my Soyo 6BB v. 1.0,
based on the same Intel 440BX chipset.

The wierdest incompatibility I ever experienced was with a VIA-based
USB 2.0 USB card that caused my VIA-based VA-503+ (made by FIC, owned
by the same parent company as VIA) to act dead. I thought that it was
caused by the card's use of 2.5V instead of the usual 3.3V (advertised
as 3.3V tolerant), but it worked fine in an older VIA-based mobo and
even an SiS mobo so old that it had no DIMM or USB support (the G510
wireless card was fine in it).

you have to disable the onboard USB before using a separate USB
controller card. as for the PCI card, dont let windows look for it, but
rather manually install it, did you try that ? make sure you got the
part number exactly right and you have the exact driver. I feel for you,
sometimes it can be a btch ~